Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

HW 2021: Hollowcrafting, Magic, and More.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
Not immediately related to the smithing conundrum - will this system incorporate Enchanting, maybe after the three future specializations you've listed?
From what I've seen and heard, people aren't too satisfied with the current Enchanting system, so I assume something will be done about it eventually, that combined with the enchanting rework that was circulated a while ago. I'm not an enchanter so I don't know the intricacies, but I feel like it would fit this system? Instead of nodes like Fire Iron and Raw Stone, you may have different elemental-bound books, lapis, or elementals themselves in some form. As you enchant more, you rank up, and ranking up would unlock more powerful enchantments. This would also fix the issue with MC-enchantments things the way the new Alchemy rework will. Instead of having Bane of Arthropods be an anti-Skraag enchantment, you can have a legit anti-Skraag enchantment.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Not immediately related to the smithing conundrum - will this system incorporate Enchanting, maybe after the three future specializations you've listed?
From what I've seen and heard, people aren't too satisfied with the current Enchanting system, so I assume something will be done about it eventually, that combined with the enchanting rework that was circulated a while ago. I'm not an enchanter so I don't know the intricacies, but I feel like it would fit this system? Instead of nodes like Fire Iron and Raw Stone, you may have different elemental-bound books, lapis, or elementals themselves in some form. As you enchant more, you rank up, and ranking up would unlock more powerful enchantments. This would also fix the issue with MC-enchantments things the way the new Alchemy rework will. Instead of having Bane of Arthropods be an anti-Skraag enchantment, you can have a legit anti-Skraag enchantment.
Gemcutting will be the spiritual successor to enchanting. It sounds strange, but trust me, it’s quite exciting just how cool it is.

Electric

professionally deranged
Retired Staff
electricwisekid
electricwisekid
Legend
Gemcutting will be the spiritual successor to enchanting. It sounds strange, but trust me, it’s quite exciting just how cool it is.
I think I know what that may entail, sounds interesting! Another thing to look forward to

Adam/Byrne

Adam
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Byrne_Nisovin
Byrne_Nisovin
Legend
Will this new magic system(Book and all) be incorpirated for blessed as well? If so thats pretty neat.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Will this new magic system(Book and all) be incorpirated for blessed as well? If so thats pretty neat.
We're working with the divine team to investigate putting those spells into the casting format to keep the server consistent and things just easy for the Blessed.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Unfortunately, I was a fool, and forgot to add in one of the more thought out professions that is planned to release after the initial release of HollowCrafting: Taming.

Taming will have three specializations: Domestic Breeder, War Breeder, and Beastmaster.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
Thinking about it for about a day, there seems to be a fairly easy solution for the Weapon/Armour/Goldsmith thing. If armour and weapon smiths are simply permitted to use precious metals to gild/decorate arms and armour, all my concerns are pretty much eradicated. It would make for an easier solution than combining Weapon and Armour smithing into something like Warsmithing or changing Goldsmithing to be more akin to Jeweler. If decorating ones arms and armour within reason is already permitted, I just feel it makes sense to permit the use of gold and silver.

Readin back, I do want to clarify one thing to Dragondusty. When I compared a chaimail ring to a golden "ring", I did not mean to elude to the jewelry type of ring but instead the generic ring/o-shape. The point I wished to make was that if you do something like winding a metal around a pommel/mandrel/etc. to fill gaps/make a shape that falls into a groove, it matters fairly little that it is a softer material. That's what I meant with the "Armorsmithing, Bladesmithing and Goldsmithing use metals with a small range of properties, the same tools with maybe a tiny adjustment in taper and near identical techniques (billets, sheets, way of rotating the piece around a tool, etc.). Compared to the materials used in generic produce of arms and armour, the use of Gold and Silver is easy mode." section. I was focusing on the "use of gold and silver" meaning of the Goldsmithing specialization, not the "Jeweler" part. Apologies if that came across as "being a jeweler is easy, lel" to anyone that might be one, is related to one, etc.

Dusty

Legend of Altera
Pronouns
They/Them
Dragondusty
Dragondusty
Villager
Readin back, I do want to clarify one thing to Dragondusty. When I compared a chaimail ring to a golden "ring", I did not mean to elude to the jewelry type of ring but instead the generic ring/o-shape. The point I wished to make was that if you do something like winding a metal around a pommel/mandrel/etc. to fill gaps/make a shape that falls into a groove, it matters fairly little that it is a softer material. That's what I meant with the "Armorsmithing, Bladesmithing and Goldsmithing use metals with a small range of properties, the same tools with maybe a tiny adjustment in taper and near identical techniques (billets, sheets, way of rotating the piece around a tool, etc.). Compared to the materials used in generic produce of arms and armour, the use of Gold and Silver is easy mode." section. I was focusing on the "use of gold and silver" meaning of the Goldsmithing specialization, not the "Jeweler" part. Apologies if that came across as "being a jeweler is easy, lel" to anyone that might be one, is related to one, etc.
My biggest thought when I read your post was that you were making the claim that if you've worked with Iron or Steel, than Gold would simply be easier due to the way the metal's softness in comparison. I don't know much about the current system of smithing on Hollow world, I've yet to introduce any of my characters into the profession. I've spent enough of my life smithing to know that claim wouldn't be true, and I don't know who else would be able to correct you here. Many of the manners in shaping metal is similar, but technique in a verbal sense is very different. The entire practice is about that muscle memory or technique that comes with every swing, you know? I don't personally see any issue with a smith specialized in any style of smithing to have the ability to decorate their craft with gold etc. It definitely wouldn't be perfect if they hadn't worked with the metal before, but it's plausible to think that they're similar enough to be able to shape the metal.. Mastering the ability to shape Gold off of Iron-like ore? That isn't.

As for Jewelry, it's an entirely different set of techniques from my understanding. The shaping of a Gold or even Iron ring is pretty significant from my understanding. I haven't personally crafted jewelry, I make blades, but it's pretty safe to assume that a Jeweler would be a possible option for a subsection of professions > Goldsmith? I think that's what you're trying to suggest here.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Thinking about it for about a day, there seems to be a fairly easy solution for the Weapon/Armour/Goldsmith thing. If armour and weapon smiths are simply permitted to use precious metals to gild/decorate arms and armour, all my concerns are pretty much eradicated. It would make for an easier solution than combining Weapon and Armour smithing into something like Warsmithing or changing Goldsmithing to be more akin to Jeweler. If decorating ones arms and armour within reason is already permitted, I just feel it makes sense to permit the use of gold and silver.

So this was a long time coming. I'm sorry I haven't gotten to this sooner, but I wanted to let the few ideas that were thrown around regarding this sit for awhile. Our ideal conclusion to this dilemma goes as follows and I would like to hear what you all think:

Goldsmithing would be changed to the "Ornamentalist" specialization. Normal smiths will be able to work with Gold, Silver, and Platinum (as well as a new fantasy soft metal) to create the crafts they normally would. A sword, an axe, a ring. But an Ornamentalist will specialize in coating premade crafts in these soft metals, 'gilding' them. Normal smiths will be able to smelt and cast with these materials, but coating another material (like steel) in a lasting, durable, pretty coating is something deserving of its own profession. While normal smiths will be able to make jewelry out of these metals, such as rings or bracelets, it will be the Ornamentalist's task to create jewelry that have slots for Gemstones, unlocking the "when worn as jewelry" effects that new-gemcutting will have. For the eviscists: Just a bladesmith will be needed to socket a gemstone into your sword, as long as you have the gem.

Weapon coatings and gemstones will have additional tags on your craft, such as [Gilded] or [Bejeweled] to tack on extra flavor to your craft. To throw smiths more of a bone with these soft metals, we are looking into ways to add in metals to the hilts of weapons. Where it would say Yew Hilt, a smith could add on a gold ingot to make a Gold and Yew Hilt, which the smith would describe at their leisure what that looks like. That way, there is still a way for a non-ornamentalist bladesmith to make a pretty sword. (The hilt feature is a maybe, barring any sort of plugin issue, but if it's a no-problem, I'd like to know what you think).

Engraving isn't something we want to restrict, so any smith can say that their crafts are engraved with words or runes or such.

Here's our reasoning: It's true that melting gold and pouring it into a ring mold is something that any smith who has lit coals on fire can do... probably. But coating a material in a lasting cover to make it appear, say, out of solid gold, is something that requires time, patience, and skill, deserving of its own profession. Furthermore, you heard above about a new fantasy soft metal. It's something that doesn't work really as a solid object, it's too soft, and will bend, dull. But when you coat it in a steel sword, it becomes an ample weapon... Here's a sneak-peek for you Ornamentalists:

Blooded Silver

Often indistinguishable from normal silver, but softer, and carrying a divine blessing of the hunt; That is, blooded silver causes the blood of those strongly cursed as Vyres and (redacted) to boil on contact. Too soft and pliable to make an effective weapon of its own make, blooded silver is most efficient when plated over an existing craft.

Let me know what y'all think.

Tideborne

Not A Pirate
Retired Staff
Tideborne
Tideborne
I very much like the idea of counters to many of the traditionally powerful player characters, gives more power to the mundane.

Scardrac

Felsummer
I very much like the idea of counters to many of the traditionally powerful player characters, gives more power to the mundane.
You have no idea what's coming then.
...just kidding.

The whole goal behind HollowCrafting is to bring 'mundane' up in power and relevance. Those considered 'mundane' (as in, those without a blessed character or magic) rarely had a shot. Then artifacts started being more widespread and they got some help, a little bit. But now we have Hollowcrafting, and not only is it something people can just get into without any sort of application process, it's something you do at your own time and pace. People are (hopefully) going to be hardcore masters in their field and really enjoy the new things they're getting. Blooded silver I would say is middle of the line when it comes to how far away from 'mundane' these things are gonna get. For reference, our master material doc is up to 46 pages. And thats not including all of the forum-exclusive stuff right now, the materials that came out before the beginning of this project.