Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Immerael does Anime Reviews Part One

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
“Erased”
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Genre: Sci-fi Detective

Where can I watch it? Crunchyroll and Hulu

What's it about?

Erased is a story about ,Satoru, a struggling 29 year old who works two jobs and doesn’t really feel like he’s doing anything worthwhile in life. He experiences things called “Revivals” which allow him to jump back in time to prevent something bad from happening, this usually only happens in short bursts. However the entire series revolves around him having to go back nearly twenty years to stop a chain of events that result in the murder of someone dear to him.

Satoru has the mind of his 29 year old self but is stuck in his elementary school body and must work to discover not only the identity of the serial killer but foil his plans.

Turned into an anime by A-1 Studios they have a long history of some really good quality animation and they deliver again. They are the same folks responsible for animes like Fairy Tale, Black Butler, Sword Art Online, and Magi. Love or hate the animes in question they have pretty much set industry standards and I like the direction if Erased is a guide.

What I liked

The story writing is solid and while I had the main villain's identity pegged from like episode 2 of the 12 episode series it was good. Character’s are really developed and no one feels disposable. The dialogue all feels pretty natural and flows well. The soundtrack while definitely no “Your Lie in April” was on point and never felt bland.

Trigger Warning: This anime depicts and addresses the issue of child abuse head on. They are tasteful but appear several times as it is a major plot point. Several episodes deal directly with this issue. I think this is one of the strongest points of the anime as it addresses the issue in a way I rarely see in anime. However it's there and I know it's a possible issue that certain viewers may wish to avoid.

What I didn’t like

Some of his child friends were way too mature. His friend Kenya for example was way too level headed and analytical for his age. Which is honestly my biggest complaint with the show. For an anime that spends a long part of the show with elementary kids they are too mature.

Minor quip that was kind of weird. There are moments of romance between the MC and one of the elementary school kids which on the surface is fine but when you consider and are constantly reminded that Satoru is a 29 year old man it gives you a creeper alert. Thankfully the truly weird are few and far between and usually for comedic relief.

Final Score: ★★★★☆

This is a pretty serious anime that takes some dark turns. There are pretty emotional scenes throughout it as the story progresses. If you’re the kind to easily cry I would bring some tissues but it also has moments of vibrant hope made all the brighter from the struggles Satoru goes through. It's only twelve episodes so it isn’t a major commitment and you can get a full feel for whether you will enjoy the anime by episode two. It's still pretty early in the year but for now Erased is the bar I will judge by for the 2016 year.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Also I am totally open to criticism of my writing so long as its constructive and more than "U suck Imm quit writing" as well as discussion of the show. I partly wrote this simply because its been too long since I wrote something for an audience like this. If you have anime's you want reviewed or such let me know.

Heie

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
Yep, it's one I have to go back and finish. New anime seasons always leave me falling behind on a few till I can catch up.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Yep, it's one I have to go back and finish. New anime seasons always leave me falling behind on a few till I can catch up.
I definitely enjoyed it but I have the same problem. I hold off starting a show until they get a hefty amount of episodes or are finished airing. Very few animes do I watch simulcast.

nexscarecrow

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
CastleSuperbeast
CastleSuperbeast
Legend
While I personally disagree and didnt think Erased was that great, this review was really well done, it was short and sweet and didn't run on for too long. Cant wait to see more.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
While I personally disagree and didnt think Erased was that great, this review was really well done, it was short and sweet and didn't run on for too long. Cant wait to see more.
Which might have a connection to the dozens of changes they did such as removing Hinazuki from the school or completely erasing (no pun intended) Yashiro's past.
Some of these changes were also done because the author wanted to sink the Airi ship.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Thanks are there any animes you're wanting a review of in particular? I prefer to write stuff about new things or lesser known animes. I was thinking about writing something up about Monster next but its pretty dated.

Which might have a connection to the dozens of changes they did such as removing Hinazuki from the school or completely erasing (no pun intended) Yashiro's past.
Some of these changes were also done because the author wanted to sink the Airi ship.
I'll admit I don't read manga to many shows which is unfortunate. As an avid book reader I'm well aware of how the book or source material is usually far superior to an adaptation.

nexscarecrow

Lord of Altera
Lore Staff
Legend
Staff
Pronouns
She/Her
CastleSuperbeast
CastleSuperbeast
Legend
Didnt read the original I just thought it beat you over the head with "the point" too much, the symbolism meant nothing, and also the mystery was easily solvable from episode 2.

Thanks are there any animes you're wanting a review of in particular? I prefer to write stuff about new things or lesser known animes. I was thinking about writing something up about Monster next but its pretty dated.
boku no pico

New Berserk anime is coming... you could always review the original.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Immerael

U suck Imm quit writing
Mein herz ist borked. How could you. ;-;

Didnt read the original I just thought it beat you over the head with "the point" too much, the symbolism meant nothing, and also the mystery was easily solvable from episode 2.

boku no pico

All perfectly valid criticisms, I felt much the same about Parasyte towards the end of the show. As for Beserk I have been meaning to watch that series for a while. I may give it a go.

Could you do Corpse Party? ;)
Well I always do like a good needlessly violent gory anime from time to time and looks like this will fit nicely. Honestly I thought I watched this already but a quick google search seems to prove me wrong.

As for the next review I'll decide in a couple days. I'm watching Jojo right now but I won't be reviewing it as its well known enough now that it doesn't need a review.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight

boku no pico

Its not really a detective mystery to begin with, but yes the anime made it far more obvious (Danganronpa says hello here, as the same happened there; Not that it wasn't obvious enough already); For good mysteries I can recommend try 'Another' and Umineko no Nako koro ni - you never get a solution for the latter though except if you read the VN. - One can still get the culprit though. Just not all the mysteries buried.

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
I was thinking about writing something up about Monster next but its pretty dated.
Pfft; Monster isn't that dated (2004), at least not in the grand scheme of anime. Some of the greatest anime classics, in my opinion, are the older ones, such as Rose of Versailles (1979) and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (1988). By all means, go for a review of it! It is an excellent show, after all!

. . . Umineko no Nako koro ni - you never get a solution for the latter though except if you read the VN. - One can still get the culprit though. Just not all the mysteries buried.
That sounds almost identical to what happens in Higurashi no Nako Koro ni, probably because Umineko no Nako Koro ni is an alternate version of Higurashi. In Higurashi, however, most everything is answered in the second season (Higurashi . . . Kai). It sounds like Umineko was unfortunate enough to not get a second season to answer everything.

I highly, highly recommend watching Higurashi if you want a mystery or something that forces you to pay attention to the details in a show a little more. In terms of animation and such, it's fairly average, but the story weaves everything together so well that I found myself enjoying far more than I expected to.

I do have to make a couple of disclaimers about Higurashi, though:
1.) It is very gory and violent. Do not watch this if you do not enjoy horror!
2.) It is confusing to follow at first, but it explains itself in time; it just takes a long time.
3.) If you get to season three, don't be dismayed by the first episode; the rest of the season is more like the first two seasons.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Pfft; Monster isn't that dated (2004), at least not in the grand scheme of anime. Some of the greatest anime classics, in my opinion, are the older ones, such as Rose of Versailles (1979) and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (1988). By all means, go for a review of it! It is an excellent show, after all!

That sounds almost identical to what happens in Higurashi no Nako Koro ni, probably because Umineko no Nako Koro ni is an alternate version of Higurashi. In Higurashi, however, most everything is answered in the second season (Higurashi . . . Kai). It sounds like Umineko was unfortunate enough to not get a second season to answer everything.

I highly, highly recommend watching Higurashi if you want a mystery or something that forces you to pay attention to the details in a show a little more. In terms of animation and such, it's fairly average, but the story weaves everything together so well that I found myself enjoying far more than I expected to.

2.) It is confusing to follow at first, but it explains itself in time; it just takes a long time.
3.) If you get to season three, don't be dismayed by the first episode; the rest of the season is more like the first two seasons.
Man I watched the first season of Higurashi and I still don't know whats going on in that show. Thoroughly enjoyed it but I'm taking a break from "Everyone and everything dies terrible gory deaths for strange reasons" for a bit.

As for the Monster bit its not as dated as it could be but 12 years old is pretty old. I may write one up in a couple days as I've more or less had the layout in my head for a while. Also its one of the few older shows with a good dub. Glad to see another fan of the series though.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight

Its not identical at all, the most similar thing at all. its (arguably) in the same universe.
You really need to have understood that everything is a
game between witches

Bernkastel also re-appears in Umineko.

Higurashi no Naku koro ni means when the circadas cry btw, while umineko means seagull - A pretty prominent sentence in Umineko is
'and when the seagull's cry no one is left alive'

Even though the anime never got its other seasons, you can still get who the culprit is - actually you only need the first or second loop for that if you use your brain a bit - the whole truth can only be achieved through the Manga or the VN though. That being said people still argue about some mysteries in Umineko nowadays... Not sure if anyone ever got the whole truth lol.

Immerael
Try Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu - loads of similarities to Steins gate. Though in a fantasy world.

Last edited: