Not open for further replies.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
In the interest of transparency, I have decided to entirely copy Mitch and post some of the spells from the "Cogimency" school.

My logic behind doing this is that, with the taking on of more and more Cogimency apprentices, more and more of the server will begin to interact with Cogimency.

Throughout Cogimency, there are four 'Schools' if you will. These Schools are:

• Illusionism
  • Fundamentalism
  • Transhumanism
  • Totemic
These four schools, and their intersecting disciplines, are what make up the entirety of Cogimency. Almost all spells are available to each Cogimens studying and learning, however, upon reaching "Adept", the Cogimens is freed of their student role, and allowed to undertake research according to their own whims. These spells have to be approved by the acting Magus, and so they will naturally fit into the ebb and flow of the pre-established spell list. However, only this Cogimens will know the spell, and the only way to gain knowledge of it IC is to have that Cogimens teach it to you (or another Cogimens who knows the spell)

In Cogimency, there are no Knacks. Instead, there are "Passives". Upon reaching the rank of "Adept", the Cogimens will work with the acting Magus to develop their passive, that is entirely unique to them. For me, Light's passive is called "Germane", and I worked on it a great deal with Blarg. Niko is currently developing his passive with me. This is essentially a declaration that "This is my character's preferred school". Each Cogimens will have a natural inclination towards one of the particular schools, to be decided by the player OOCly.

For example, here is a spell that Light invented when he had just turned Adept:

Name: Glazing
School: Illusion
Cast time: 2 "combat rounds"
Duration: Concentration, and
Range: Distant (Yell)
Target: Self
Level: Apprentice
Trance level: 2
Cost: 10
Prerequisite: -
Effect: The Cogimens discovers that their skin turns translucent, allowing light to pass through it. It is comparable to looking through smudged glass, when another peers through. The Cogimens can also control specifically what does and does not turn translucent. For example, they may choose to turn all but their head translucent, or turn a finger/section of arm translucent, etc. etc.

Before I continue further, I'd like to highlight something that may seem unusual with Cogimency: the "Trance Level". The Trance is a sort of meditation undertaken by the Cogimens to be able to cast a spell. It's main purpose is to signify the mental taxation on the Cogimens by virtue of casting any spell. It ranges from being "how much effort you need to breathe" to "literally comatose".

Each spell in each School follows a sort of "tree", wherein, to be able to cast a spell of one level, the "Prerequisite" of this spell must first be known. Each tree may start at any one level, but will inevitably branch into several other spells as the school progresses in level. You'll see what I mean.

I've tried to include spells that players throughout the server may most commonly come into interaction with. And hey, who knows, I might even release more info as the pool of Cogimens grows and grows. If at any point you come across a spell in your roleplays, and you have any questions about it, give me a poke and I'll answer it to the best of my ability!

And now, without further adieu, here's a single tree from each school.

-K9

Last edited:

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
ILLUSIONISM

Apprentice

Name: Hidden Spot
Cast time: Instantaneous.
Duration: Concentration.
Range: Touch.
Target: 1 object that fits into the caster’s palm.
Level: Apprentice.
Trance level: 1
Cost: 5
Effect: The Cogimens renders one object invisible. It can still be touched, and if such occurs, the spell immediately ends. It can also still be heard, etc. If the Cogimens stops touching it, the spell also ends.

Journeyman

Name: Advanced Hidden Spot
Range: Close (RP chat range).
Target: 1 inanimate object no larger than a common house cat.
Level: Journeyman.
Prerequisite: Hidden Spot
Effect: As Hidden Spot, but the cogimens does not necessarily need to touch the object, nor does the spell end if the object is touched. It does end, however, if the object is taken out of rp chat range.

Adept

Name: Invisibility
Cast time: 1 “combat round.”
Range: Self.
Target: Self.
Level: Adept
Cost: 25
Prerequisite: Advanced Hidden Spot
Effect: The Cogimens renders themselves invisible. If they are touched by another person, the spell ends. However, touching and interacting with anything else is applicable. Nothing the Cogimens wears or touches is rendered invisible (besides for the layer of clothes directly touching their skin, mostly because emoting being a naked invisible guy is weird).

Master

Name: Advanced Invisibility
Range: Self
Target: Self
Level: Master
Trance level: 3
Cost: 50
Prerequisite: Invisibility
Effect: As Invisibility, but being touched does not end the spell.

Magus

Name: Unseen
Range: Extremely close (Whisper chat range).
Target: The Cogimens, and 1 person/level
Level: Magus
Trance level: 4
Cost: 200
Prerequisite: Advanced Invisibility
Effect: The Cogimens, and those cast upon, are rendered invisible. So is everything they are all holding, wearing, etc. They can still be heard. If they are touched, the illusion does not end.

-K9

Last edited:

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
FUNDAMENTALIST

Apprentice

Name: Confound
School: Fundamentalist
Cast time: 2 “combat turns.”
Duration: 1 “combat turn.”
Range: Close (RP chat range).
Target: 1 person/level
Effect: The recipient of the spell, for a moment, completely forgets why they’re doing what they’re doing. If you’ve ever walked into a room to get something, and forgotten why you walked into the room, this is the same feeling as that. In a fight, this would only falter those not particularly inclined toward violence to being with.

Journeyman

Name: Advanced Confound
Cast time: 3 “combat turns.”
Duration: 30 seconds (10 “combat turns”)
Range: Close (RP chat range)
Target: 1 person/2 levels
Level: Journeyman
Prerequisite: Confound
Effect: The Cogimens instills a state of dizziness in the recipient of the spell. They feel off-balance, uneasy, and if they are particularly sensitive to motion sickness, perhaps nauseous. These effects fade in the last 3 seconds of the duration.

Adept

Name: Dumbfound
Cast time: 5 “combat turns.”
Duration: 1 minute.
Range: Distant (Yell chat range).
Target: 4 targets/level
Cost: 35
Prerequisite: Advanced Confound
Effect: The Cogimens causes everyone in range of the spell to suddenly forget the events of the last six hours. As far as they are concerned, after whatever they were doing six hours ago, they suddenly appeared where they are right now. Very confusing. After the minute, the six hours return.

Master

Name: Disorient
Cast time: 2 “combat rounds.”
Duration: 30 minutes.
Range: Distant (Yell chat range).
Target: 2 people/level.
Prerequisite: Dumbfound
Effect: The Cogimens causes a specific sensation in the minds of the recipients of this spell: Dizziness and disorientation. Their senses of direction become suddenly entirely out of order. Up is down and left is sideways and down is behind me. This causes intense nausea and extreme dizziness. Enough to disable even the most well-oriented man.

Magus

Name: Discombobulation
Cast time: Approximately 15 seconds (5 “combat rounds”).
Duration: 1d3 days.
Range: Touch.
Target: 1 person.
Level: Magus.
Cost: 225
Prerequisite: Stupefy, Disorient
Effect: The Cogimens instills in the mind of the recipient of the spell utter disorientation. Right is smell and down is where his ear is and sight is smell and vision is memory right? This level of confusion is to the point that the only variant in how recipients respond to it being cast upon them is how soon it takes for them to become comatose so that the mind can repair itself (generally between “instantly” and “a few minutes”), and how soon they’ll wake up. During the casting time of the spell, the recipient of the spell receives a searing, nauseating migraine, which - if the spell is interrupted at some point during the casting - fades in about an hour. Upon awakening from their comatose state, the recipient’s perception has returned to normal.

-K9

Last edited:

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
TRANSHUMANISM

Apprentice

Name: Telepathy
School: Transhumanist
Range: Far (100 blocks)
Target: 2 people/level
Effect: The Cogimens exchanges their thoughts with another individual. They can express vague images, vague feelings, or clear expressions of thought. What the Cogimens wills for the other individual to perceive, the individual perceives. What the individual wills for the Cogimens to perceive, the Cogimens perceives.

Journeyman

Name: Advanced Telepathy
Duration: Concentration. It can be maintainted without concentration for 4 hours/level.
Range: Extremely far.
Target: 1 person/level.
Level: Journeyman.
Prerequisite: Telepathy
Effect: The Cogimens is able to exchange anything that may be imagined. They can share incredibly intricate, vivid mental constructs. If they can visualize something, the other person perceives it as if it were in their own mind. Anything can be expressed in this fashion. When the spell is first cast, the recipient feels as if they are being watched for a moment. The individual who is cast upon, if they are not a Cogimens, even if they attempt to hide their thoughts, the Cogimens garners a vague sense of their subject matter. The Cogimens shares whatever they will to share.

Adept

Name: Projection
Cast time: 2 hours.
Range: Limitless
Target: 1 person
Cost: 25
Prerequisite: Advanced Telepathy
Effect: The Cogimens projects their mind unto the other person’s. After visualizing the person in their mind for the appropriate length of time, they broach a mental connection between the two individuals. The Cogimens is able to sense the person’s body, its current condition, their mental state, etcetera. If the Cogimens wills it, the other participant can sense their state in similar fashion.

Master

Name: Behold
Cast time: 30 minutes.
Duration: 4 hours/level
Prerequisite: Advanced Telepathy.
Effect: The Cogimens perceives the physical location of someone. It’s sort of like placing a beacon onto them. The Cogimens gets roughly their bearing (“they’re in X direction”). They, furthermore, get an idea about their current state of being (if they’re wounded, if they’re in pain, if they’re hungry). The Cogimens cannot relay anything to this individual, even if they tried really hard, through this spell. Like Advanced Telepathy, the Cogimens has to be able to picture their face clearly.

Magus

Name: Advanced Projection
Cast time: 1 hour
Level: Magus
Cost: 175
Prerequisite: Projection, Behold.
Effect: The Cogimens projects their Mens into the mind of the other individual. The other individual feels, for the first minute or so, an intense feeling of being watched. There is otherwise no definitive sign of the spell having been cast (besides for magical detection). However, the individual cast upon can hide effectively nothing from the Cogimens. The Cogimens senses their perception of their surroundings, they are able to detect all thoughts they have, the mood of the individual, their physical status (what position they are in, what they appear to be doing), and also if they are about to cast a spell, and what the spell is intended to do (if they are mages). The Cogimens does not require to share any of this information in return, but may if they so desire.

-K9

Last edited:

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
“Hey, K9, where the frick frack snick snack is the totemic school post?”

I’ve not included this school with a tree for a reason. Totemic serves mostly as an ansillary tree, supporting the other three trees mechanically. A Totemic-focused Cogimens inscribes runes onto materials to hold or cast a spell. To explain what I mean, I’ve included a single spell from the Totemic tree.

Essentially all of the totemic spells are identical to this, so there’s no real point in posting anything else.

Name: Mark of Mind
School: Totemic
Cast time: 1 hour
Duration: Instantaneous.
Range: Touch
Target: An inanimate object.
Cost: 5-350
Effect: The Cogimens leaves a runic inscription, that contains magical energy. This inscription contains some manner of pattern, the specifics of which are irrelevant. The rune contains no actual spell, only the spell power. All spell power put into the rune is permanently deducted until the rune is broken (simply by messing up the pattern) or rendered inert via Withdraw.

-K9

Last edited:

K9

Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
A massive shout out to blargtheawesome who wrote 99% of the spells here, I just swooped in and stole the glory.

-K9

Status
Not open for further replies.