Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Legends and Histories of House Hawklight

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight

Before the Great War

The Hawklight family, an ancient house steeped in tradition. The Hawklights were among the first to rise as the great Creator Cherbert shaped the humanity of Altera. They were led by the intrepid Ferreum Hawklight, a great scholar and wise man who preferred diplomacy to the use of force in his dealings with the fledgling races of Altera. Together with his sister Triss Hawklight he established a prominent and respected claim among the many factions of Altera, however, this position, earned through diplomacy and tact would soon become engulfed in a war which threatened the very fabrics of it’s peaceful foundation. As Queen Grief tore through the lands of Altera the House was plunged into darkness as Ferreum’s young wife Alyss was slain and his very reasoning shattered.

Overcome with grief, Ferreum ordered every able-bodied man march from his keep, taking with him any chance of solidarity within the house as advisers fought for control of the leaderless citadel of Lutra, the three young Hawklight children Axex, Zanros and Valisa were left in the care of scheming nobles not trusted enough to join the small Lutran army. For months Ferreum fought on the frontlines, his small force becoming an elite contingent of the struggling Alteran military. It was in one of the final battles of the war however, that his force was ambushed, cut off defending an integral supply line and slaughtered. Ferreum was said to have cut down almost twenty men alone, before he himself was slain, and with his death, Hawklight fell into ruin.

As compensation for the loss of Lord Hawklight in battle, the Alteran royalty, observing the courage and spirit of the young Hawklight children, sought to ascend them from the gaping pit of ambition within the broken city of Lutra and maintain the line far from the prying grips of Lutran remnants. Thus, the Hawklight children were raised as wards of the Royal palaces, educated by the Great Mages Bellon the Wise and Ducati in the ways of magic, and the intimidating King Steel and his General, Legion, in the ways of war. From King Lars and Roopot they took in great knowledge about the History of Altera, and from the Creator Cherbert they drew strength and solidarity. So it was, for years they grew, honing their arts. Valisa became a healer, and upon the formation of the sisterhood during the Second War, was inducted into the Sisterhood, blessed by Salherana and granted immortality for her dues. In turn Zanros ventured forth alone, seeking his path with his patron God Korigon, eventually the brave warrior would attain his own brand of immortality so long as he served as Korigons vassal within the mortal world. For Axex, he was left to his own devices, and became a member of the Alteran military, his noble status and prime combat skill raising him to the commander of a prominent battalion within a few short years. The three siblings were content, their linage secured, no ambition clouded them, they lived in peace.

This peace could not last however, as once again Altera was thrust into darkness, as Grief’s chaos spread throughout the land. With the enemy looming against the Kingdom of Altera, Axex rode north, to act as a vanguard against the primal evil’s rising from beyond human control. It was here that he gained the favor of Harateth, and in return for eternal service, gained an extended life, until Queen Grief was to be vanquished forever.

At the conclusion of the horrendous war, Axex returned to Altera, a determination to bury his noble claims and act as a vassal in the defence of Altera, joined by his brother Zanros, and supported by his sister Valisa, he formed an Order which would command respect as a force which appeared wherever needed to defend the citizens of Altera. These Knights Radiant however, were soon crushed as the cataclysm engulfed Altera and Axex drove his men into the portal into the Nether in a heroic effort to stop of the source of Grief’s power. It was years before they returned, broken, defeated, more dead than alive. Yet impowered by their Gods, Zanros and Axex began the slow process of recovery, seeking to once again rebuild their Order, forming the Brotherhood of the Fallen Radiant’s, a force for good which would eventually find it’s home in Del, after successfully defeating an invasion of Ascension Heights, and subsequently one of Ama Rivetos and a smaller incursion into Heavens Reach. However, the small peace they had found could not last, again shattered by the corruption of Altera, as slowly the malignant energy of Grief overcame the land, forcing its abandonment.

It was in this new land however, that Axex once again sought to rekindle the heritage of his house, observing the fickle nature of humanity, and the need for a strong position from which to assert his council. Reaching out to his most trusted of allies, he sought aid in rebuilding the glory of the Hawklight House, and together with his family, adopted and of his blood, the Hawklights rose again, to govern the North West, to protect Altera from itself.

Last edited:

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight

General Legion

For many years before the First Great War, Legion lived a life of solitude. He spent his days meditating and performing menial tasks. On every third day he practiced rigorously with the sword. The Dae'mon Chaunzagoroth gave him a large advantage in speed and reflexes, making Legion a fierce swordsman, but only one man knew it.

So when Queen Grief thrust her armies of naught into Altera, that man, who happened to be King Steel, called upon Legion to serve in the army. When Legion refused, King Steel insisted, offering him a place as Lieutenant in Altera's Second. After much persuasion, Legion accepted. In one of the first major battles, the Battle of Serenity Valley, the Alteran Second fought alongside the Hawklight Army, lead by Ferreum Hawklight. This is where Legion, a Colonel now, met the esteemed and shattered leader of the Hawklights. During the battle, a group of Hawklights were pinned down, so Legion assembled a small squadron, lead by himself, to provide relief. For hours Legion and Ferreum fought side by side. When the smoke cleared at the battles end, there was a large circle of piled up dead bodies, Legion and Ferreum laying exhausted within it. They were fast friends.

This particular battle got Legion promoted to General, and Steel gave him command of Altera's First. For many years in the First War Legion often used the Hawklight force as Auxiliaries. Their partnership lead to a string of successes that very nearly crippled the queens armies.
But Legion knew that Ferreum was shattered. It was unlikely he was going to live through this war, and even if he did he wouldnt be the same afterward. The death of his wife had broken him inside, and there wasnt anything he could do to help him, but continue to be his friend, and try to keep him alive on the battlefield.
One night between battles Ferreum met with Legion, saying he had to discuss something. Ferreum told Legion of his kids, the Citadel at Lutra, and the political problems back home. He told Legion that if he were to fall in battle, Legion was to look after the kids and make sure they were trained. Legion agreed, swearing on his power.

On the way to the very next battle, the Battle of DaggerFall Docks, the Hawklight force was ambushed. Cut off, the armies of naught continuously swarmed around the Hawklights. One by one they fell, until only Ferreum remained. At last, he too fell, having slaughtered dozens of the Dread Queens minions.
Legion didnt here of his fate until after the battle. He was furious. He had promised to watch after the kids, but he couldnt simply abandon the war. He had to continue leading Altera's First, with no gauruntee that he would ever come back.

So Legion began writing letters, securing various teachers, buying out nobles and politicians with Ferreums fortune, and making preparations for him to return at the end of the war.

Finally, the War ended. The Queen was sealed in a magic prison constructed by Ducati, and peace had seemed to return to the land. Legion returned to the Hawklights as soon as he was able. he began teaching them how to fight, how to conduct a war, how to effectively use troops, but most of all he taught them the reasons for fighting. In the absence of Ferreum, Legion felt it his duty to provide the same moral guidance their father would have. Being no great man himself, this often didnt work, and the Hawklights were notorious for getting into trouble. Eventually, when Axex came of age, he enlisted in the military. Legion let him be in the Alteran Third, the reserve units.

But then the Second War came. Grief had somehow broken loose from the prison that we had all thought infallible. The reserve units were called into immediate service. Legion sent a requisition for Axex to be transferred to the Alteran First, but the orders arrived the day after his unit shipped out for war. Legion was worried Axex was going to be killed in battle, but thanks t his training, he actually showed extreme prowess, and a devotion undaunted by the forces of naught. He rose through the ranks, eventually becoming a Sergeant. Finally, Legions requisition order caught up to him, and he became part of Altera's First. Fighting side by side with Axex, Legion couldn't help but remember Ferreum. He had never told Axex about his oath to his father, but Axex considered him family anyway.

At the end of the Second War, Axex retired from the military and formed the Knights Radiants, with his brother Zanros. Legion admired the order, as well as Axex's ambition, but was again worried that he wasnt completing his oath to his father. However, after seeing how well he and Zanros managed the order, and with Valisa safe as a healer, he considered his job done.

And then, unsurprisingly, the Cataclysm came. Once again, Grief came back. Legion was starting to wonder if she was even defeatable. Legion again began his campaign with the Alteran First to push back the Dread Queen. Often times, Legion called on the Knights Radiants for support. Finally, the armies of Altera pushed Grief's armies back all the way to Fortress Naught. Axex requested a meeting with Legion. During their meeting, Axex told Legion that the only way to win this war was to seal the Nether Gate from the inside. Legion refused. Axex was stubborn, and began preparing the Knights Radiant for the suicide mission regardless. When the time came, and Axex's forces marched on the Gate, Legion lead a volunteer squadron of the Alteran First to aid him. For hours, he and Axex fought their way to the Gate, when Griefs reinforcements arrived from the other various regions of Altera. Axex knew they couldn't wait. They had to go in, now. Legion said that he would hold them off, give Axex enough time to close the gate.

Axex and the Radiants went through.

The Gate closed.

Axex wasnt seen again for many years.

Legion had thought he had failed. When word finally reached him that Axex and his brother Zanros were alive, along with a handful of the other Radiants, he was ecstatic. He played his hand from behind the curtain, using his fortune to pay for Axex's recoverey and the restoration of his name.

And then the land was corrupted by Queen Grief.

So, Altera went on the great Exodus, while Legion fought the corruption in the Southern Wilds.
Finally, the new world was created and safe, and Axex again began building up his name.
Legion realized he was exhausted. He had been alone for far too long, and he longed for a family, though he wouldn't admit it.

So, he came to Axex and told him all about his oath to Ferreum, his influence behind the curtain, and his constant watchful eye.

Axex welcomed Legion as family.

Last edited:

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight

The Fall of Lindisfarne

“And from the End they came, for he had styled himself a Prince, and in the dark his magic grew strong.”

It was midday when the call for aid came, and mustering as many men as I could, I ventured to answer that call and travel to Lindisfarne, home of the bandits.

For weeks we had been enduring threats, a dark mage had risen in the north, and styled himself Prince of the End, commander of the Endkin, tall creatures of another dimension. Yet it was in Lindisfarne where he finally attacked in force, and with him a wave of darkness descended upon the town.

I arrived with my men to a city awash with blood, its walls cracked and broken, and houses aflame. Few survived, and those who had sheltered together in a main hall, doing their best to fend of the Endermen.

We fought our way through masses of the dark creatures, hacking a bloody path towards the survivors, all around us creatures of the End appeared, striking at us before vanishing as we sought to fight back, we knew they were out there, hunting us, awaiting a moment of weakness to strike.

My men stayed strong however, and we made it inside the hall. Within we found naught but the dead and the dying, barely anyone was left, corpses littered the ground, and blood stained the walls.
I asked any who would, to stand with us, and together we would see them safe, many did, though others elected to stay, little hope remained in their eyes, they looked to me with dull expressions, dead in all but body.

Battling our way through the swarms of enemies we made it to my ship, and many of Lindisfarne’s people escaped then, yet some remained, and as I looked back at the burning city I asked of them a final choice, fight with me, and die a hero, or run, and die a coward. A vote was called, and those who could fight stood firm, we salvaged what we could from the stores of my ship before turning back to the fires, behind us the last of the refugees pushed off towards safety, tears staining their cheeks.

I buckled on my breastplate and turned to those standing with me, a mix of farmers, bandits, craftsman and soldiers, a group as good as any Altera could offer. We would be the heroes of Lindisfarne, either in death of life, here we would forge our legacy.

Smashing through the outer ring of Endermen we forced our way back into the city square, slaying all who stood before us, we took more lives than I could count, but still many of my own fell, and it seemed hopeless as we struck again and again. Men and women died beside me as we strove towards the centre of the darkness, the main hall, from which a veil crept over the city. It was there the Mage waited for us, the heart of dusk.

It was there inside those blood soaked halls that he and I met in single combat, all around us time stood still, as we matched sword against magic, and shield against arrows of fire. We fought to exhaustion, neither of us could best the other, and in his anger the Mage vanished, promising the death of each of us, at the hands of fire.

As time resumed I found few defenders left standing, many lay in pools of blood, others clutched broken limbs and moaned quietly.

With the Mage gone I thought perhaps we had done enough to hold them back, to stop this chaos, and yet, still they came, in waves, and still we fought as they died. It was a battle against time itself, and we were destined to lose, yet still we shouted our defiance, and they died in droves, piling high before us. In their haste to conquer us they sent their Champion, a Dragon of the End, a being of pure darkness, with eyes of purple fire, and a blackened heart of chaos.

For hours it struck against us, unleashing deadly magic and flames upon the walls of the hall, it slowly wore us down, we knew victory wasn’t an option, and soon less than ten of us remained.
I could feel it around me, hope began to fade, and in that moment of darkness, I envisioned the light, a last glorious charge, a noble death, so that we may enshrine our legacy. Shouting to those around me, we rose as one, and charged forth from the hall into the night, striking with all our strength against the Dragon, forcing it back, driving it from the sky to the earth where at last it was slain.

We had done the impossible, halted the beast, and as it faded in death, the darkness lifted from Lindisfarne, and brought forth the dawn, the rays of the sun parted the clouds and warmed our very souls. The fires raging in the city began to vanish as if they Gods themselves had commanded it, and perhaps, that day they had. We had never been forsaken, as Altera would never be.
We rested a while, and caught our breath, laughing at the absurdity of our own survival, it all seemed so surreal, none had come close to killing such a beast until this day, let alone without an army.

It was then, as we lay among the charred buildings, that General Legion came in his ship, pennants snapping the breeze as the finest of Altera’s armies crashed against the remaining pockets of resistance within the city, securing it at last.

I will always remember his words as he spoke with us, and named us heroes in turn, perhaps few know of us now, but as long as I live, those who died and lived with me that day, will be forever remembered, as the greatest warriors Altera has ever known.

Last edited:

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight

A Radiant Dawn

Port Silver PC 156

Once proud pennants hung torn around me, loyal knights, and brave conscripts littered the ground as equals in death, bodies piled so deep the earth itself appeared vanquished. Crimson soaked the walls, as if a mad painter had taken to the Capital with only one colour on his brush. The sound of battle carried on the wind, and screams rang across the walls. It was to be our final stand, we either halted the corruption here, or all Altera would be consumed. The Immortal Kings had called for aid, and from all of Altera we had come, elves of the great forests, dwarves of the mountain halls, and humans of all kinds, the pride of the Northern Kingdoms.

I had brought the remnants of my brotherhood from Alethar, those who remained loyal to my cause, skilled knights, who had earned their shields fighting Grief for much of their lives. For months we had fought to defend our home, as they came for us in unending waves, a never-ending tide of despair which crashed against the great walls of Port Silver, wearing them down, eroding our hope. For every one of us that died, we killed a dozen, yet still they came, we were desperately outnumbered and outflanked. Already we could see more Nether Portals growing in strength, as they prepared to unleash a force we could not withstand.

It was there, on the bridge linking the capital to the mainland that I spoke with General Legion, and outlined my plan to enter the largest portal, so that it may be closed from the inside, where it was weakest. In agreement he swore to guard my flank as I lead the last of my warriors in a charge against the portal, fighting our way to its base, before muttering final prayers and entering the darkness.

The horrors of that realm were like none we had ever witnessed, every nightmare, every fear that could assail a man was brought against us as we fought to shatter the great pillars holding the portal together. We knew that is we succeeded it would buy the time that the defenders in Altera so desperately needed to regroup and force the attackers back.

In that chaos, that I witnessed every one of my men die besides my brother and myself. They were torn asunder, shredded and ended with impunity as the honour guard of Queen Grief herself stood against us. I think it was then, that I became blind, I closed my eyes to the destruction before me, and never opened them again till much later in my life.

Yet, within that darkness rested a final hope, Zanros and I knew that the Kings and Gods stood with us, Harateth guided my hand as Oathbringer hummed with light, the blade shining like the dawn itself. I was the Talon through which Harateth would strike, and with all my strength and his I struck, breaking apart the last fragment of a pillar, weakening the gate to the point of collapse, where it broke apart upon me, the weight of the obsidian upon me was the last thought I had for some time. Perhaps I did die that day, none can tell but the Gods, my last memory of my brother was seeing him fall beside me, I truly thought that was the end.

[Attached here is a missive from General Legion to the last known survivor of the Hawklight line]

Lady Hawklight, I can do little but be straightforward with you. To the best of my knowledge, both of your brothers were lost in battle during the siege of the Capital. They died together within the Nether Realm, they died as heroes, for we saw the gate break apart as if crippled from within. I fear them gone forever M’Lady, the Knights Radiant are vanquished, bringing forth, as their final sacrifice, a Radiant Dawn, a beacon of hope which spurred our forces to victory on that day. As the portal collapsed we were able to regroup and reinforce our defences, for the first time in many years I believe we can win this war, and I have your brothers to thank. Stay strong Lady Valisa, Altera will prevail.

Last edited:

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight

WAR BEGINS

Loudly did the drums beat, and the horns did sound, cry havoc, and let lose the dogs of war.

Already I was sweating in my cloak, the dry climate of middle Altera was a far cry from the cold, windswept north, which I called my home. Grimacing, I made a mental note to have more appropriate garments constructed once we established our camp outside the Exodus Portal. Ahead of me I could see a train of wagons and riders on horseback, arrayed in their finest armor, purple and white pennants waving lazily in what little excuse for a breeze existed in the center of our Kingdom. I recognized Lord Barroes Desterwind riding near the head of the column, more and more I find myself relying upon him and Kharn to lead the House in my times of absence and reflection, perhaps I truly am getting old. Chuckling quietly to myself I shrug off the thought, bah, too old, never, this old dog still has plenty left in him. I was reminded again of the glory my House had once attained as I cast my eyes once again on the column of men and horses in front of me. My brother, long lost, and my sister, deep within the forests, seeking solitude after the disappearance of her betrothed, once a center of magic and learning, our greatest mages, dead and gone, our fortress in the mountain abandoned at General Legion’s orders. Bah, to speak of such things will at least remove my thoughts from the pain in my arse and thighs, whoever conceived riding, as a means of travel, deserves to be executed. We once sought home in the mountains, and now we turn to mastery over the seas, no seasickness will compare to this constant ache in my behind. Grumbling to myself I barely hear Barroes approach.

“Lord Hawklight, we are fast approaching the warcamp, shall I call in the outriders and form us in to a proper column fit for the Queen’s approval?” He chuckles as looks at me. “I knew you hated to ride, but the look on your face, perhaps we could tie you to your horse and send you in to battle scowling, Grief would likely retreat upon sighting such annoyance”

I meet his eyes balefully, raising an eyebrow, “Barroes, how can you disrespect your Lord so?” I sweep my arms in a useless circle, “Imagine if the men could hear how far I have fallen in the yes of my comrades,” my reply is dripping with sarcasm.

Beside me my Standard Bearer chuckles heartily before realizing his mistake. I spin in his direction, my face full of mock anger, “And you Sir! How dare you laugh at my misfortune! Latrine duty for a month I should say!” I turn back to Barroes in a huff, “Aye form up the column, we may not have the largest force, but we sure as hell are going to look damned good when we enter that camp”

We ride into the Exodus Warcamp to the brilliant sounds of Royal Horns, and the greetings of the noble members of the camp. Queen Leminth Arduin strides forward and casts her eyes up to me. I hastily dismount, motioning for the others in my party to do the same and bow to her.

“Your Grace, it is always a pleasure to be in your presence, House Hawklight has answered the call, we will fight for Altera”

I rise from my bow to be met by her commanding gaze, “I expected no less of you Lord Hawklight, I will keep you no longer, I am sure you wish to settle in,” she motions to an empty area of the camp, “Your forces can make camp there, I would meet with you later, we have much to discuss”

I bow again, before motioning to Barroes and Kharn to lead the men in establishing camp. Workmen hurry forth from the column, already beginning to establish the camp layout. I grasp Ironhide’s reins and turn to move with my men, casting one final glance over the camps of Cromarcky, Arduin, Arcturus and Ausgust. I had already received word of Venezia’s intent to journey to the portal; no doubt the same rough seas we faced had delayed them. As I hurry to catch up with my men I allow myself a moment of reflection, so, each of the Great Houses had answered the call, and their vassals with them, it was a tenuous peace we now enjoyed in the camp, how long after we had fought Grief back would it last?

Two days in this damned camp, and already the sweating mass of bodies and the dry heat is enough to drive the bravest of campaigners to retreat in shame. Despite this, I feel more alive than I have in a very long time, war is all I have ever known, and though my greatest days of glory are far behind me I still revel in the chance to fight for Altera once again. The cramped conditions of the camp are doing nothing to ease the tension between Great Houses, and already several fights have erupted between competing soldiers. The Queen is not blind to our situation however, and the construction of an arena and areas to practice archery and other aspects of combat have since be erected, to the joy of many of Altera’s self-proclaimed heroes. I myself have yet to venture to that part of the camp, finding great fulfillment in the mountains of paperwork that accompany a war. To think I didn’t bring my scribes with me from Whiterock, I will have to recruit someone I trust from among the camp, perhaps I will coerce Albareth to do my bidding, surely he has the time, I hardly see him do anything at all besides have his lacquered armor polished for him to admire, and when he is done with this chore he proceeds to strut throughout the camp enjoying his lack of taxation. Perhaps I will travel to the arena today, I heard rumors General Legion himself was fighting today, to think I once stood as his equal in swordsmanship, he has long since surpassed me however, perhaps Altera’s greatest swordmaster.

My mind made up, I head out of my tent, blinking in the glaring sunlight, and twice cursing the fact that my summer garments have not yet been completed, I catch a low chuckle from one of my guards and turn to him with a scowl, raising an eyebrow as I notice the perfectly acclimatized uniform he wears, he breaks out in a grin as he notices my expression.

“My Lord, it seems Lord Barroes was well aware of the climate we would face, our new uniforms and armour arrived yesterday, alas it appears the same has not yet happened for you.”

I glare at him, “No doubt my clothes are to be made of the finest materials and require time and care to be perfected!”

With that I stride away, smiling as I hear laughter break out behind me. It is good to see the men in such good spirits, with good morale, comes better fighters. I nod to the two armored guards waiting for me at the edge of my camp, and they fall in to step behind me as I head towards the proving grounds. As we approach I can hear the ringing clash of steel on steel, and the cheers of the crowd, there is a sharp crack, and a momentary hush from the crowd before they erupt again louder than before. I chuckle, no doubt Legion himself is there, never a dull moment watching him dispatch his opponents, even if the fights rarely last more than a minute.

Sure enough, as we shoulder our way through the crowd to the top of the wall surrounding the fighting pit, Legion can be seen whirling his blades lazily in each hand, his orange livery blazing in the sun. In front of him stands a group of men, already disarmed, staring dumbly at their blades lying clustered on the floor in front of them. Legion smirks, returning his swords to their sheaths and taking a mug of water from a waiting attendant. He glances towards the crowd and it is then our eyes meet, a smile curls on his lips.

“Axex, it has been far too long since I saw you fight, would you do us the honour?”

I chuckle, returning the grin, “An old man such as myself, fighting those young, brave warriors of Altera, it would not be a fair fight, I am so crippled with age.”

He laughs, “If you are old Axex, you don’t show it, come, show these men how to truly fight.”

I bow slightly to him, removing my heavier cloak and handing it to a waiting servant, unbuckling my sword belt I pass that to a guard, retaining only my sword. In one swift motion I jump from atop the wall, flexing my knees to absorb the impact and turn to face my first challenger, a grim smile on my lips.

Last edited:

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
Updated! I shall continue to post events pertaining to the exodus and warcamp, however I won't cover many events as Piratepoof already does such a fantastic job of that!

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
And hidden away so well, that even the great Faelin could not find them without help, ahaha. That said, my management of tenses is utterly horrendous and I should be shot.

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
Wow Jak, this is a blast from the past, perhaps I'll continue them when I have time, as out of date as they are