Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Lore & History FAQ

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Question, is Formistry still so far in preproduction as to have no idea when we'll get a possible release? Or has it been sidelined for more pressing issues like events campaigns and the such.

Just curious~

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Question, is Formistry still so far in preproduction as to have no idea when we'll get a possible release? Or has it been sidelined for more pressing issues like events campaigns and the such.

Just curious~
Please don't get me talking about magic.

In all honesty I feel like the current system has failed to launch since people went ahead and started without the schools being finished and without the loremaster to integrate it. I'd be perfectly happy if they scrapped it and started over.

I don't /want/ to see formistry released.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
Does coffee exist? I've seen people RPing drinking coffee but as far as I know it was only in Africa (Ethiopia specifically) in medieval times and didn't spread to Europe until the renaissance.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Does coffee exist? I've seen people RPing drinking coffee but as far as I know it was only in Africa (Ethiopia specifically) in medieval times and didn't spread to Europe until the renaissance.
If we accept tea we've kinda gotta accept coffee.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover

Its oddly allowed because Mediterranean coffee beans, I'll never know.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Except, there are various herbal teas that existed throughout Europe and the Med. Morocco Mint tea comes to mind. However, I believe most people act like their tea is either black or green, both imports and transplants.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
If we accept tea we've kinda gotta accept coffee.
Tea came to Europe in the 1500s, which I find much more acceptable than coffee, which wasn't present until the 1600s. There's also what Arch said about tea-esque drinks that just weren't called tea.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Hmm. Well, we've got the Soolerans which would be from close enough an area RL-wise for it to mostly work out?

IDK if it fits on the new map though. Don't see the harm however.

Niko

Lord of Altera
Good
Legend
SirNicholas14
SirNicholas14
Good
Our setting also includes North African and near eastern cultures, so I believe it is justified for Alterans to have coffee, though I could be wrong.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend

Ethiopia, home of coffee, isn't really north African, but I guess you could say Saudi Arabia counts as part of the area the server setting includes and that's pretty close.

Niko

Lord of Altera
Good
Legend
SirNicholas14
SirNicholas14
Good
Ethiopia, home of coffee, isn't really north African, but I guess you could say Saudi Arabia counts as part of the area the server setting includes and that's pretty close.
Ah, my mistake, I didn't read what you said correctly.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Honestly things have been consistent for long enough that a good enough judgement for a /lot/ of stuff is on how comfortable the community is with accepting it.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Lore Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Babes we have the potato, that one came from South America to Europe around the end of the 16th century. If we have tater tots we have coffee

Last edited:

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
How vibrate can the dyes produced on the server be? What is realistic and what isn't.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
How vibrate can the dyes produced on the server be? What is realistic and what isn't.
A quick Google search of medieval dyes and fabrics should give you an idea of what's possible, but I know of no one who will call you out because your red is too red on a skin.

Cap

Lord of Altera
Legend
although I can't speak for all dyes, the lapis lazuli needed for the bright vibrant blues could possibly be found in the server's desert

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
A quick Google search of medieval dyes and fabrics should give you an idea of what's possible, but I know of no one who will call you out because your red is too red on a skin.
although I can't speak for all dyes, the lapis lazuli needed for the bright vibrant blues could possibly be found in the server's desert
For context I'm relating it to the colour of the Emberlark feathers and it would have to be a rather bright orange/red colour, I'm not sure how close you could even go.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Generally I think the amount of higher contrast, darker dyes used is more unrealistic than bright ones. A lot of colors are naturally bright. I'm not an expert, though, nor did I do research to answer.

Magiik

Lord of Altera
I gather my black dye from the souls of orphan assassins.

Seriously, though, good skins are hard enough to find or have made. I don't think anyone will complain about certain colors being used.
If you are worried, though, check out saffron and madder. Both were propagated in Europe, though saffron wasn't originally native (but came over during the Greek's high point), and I have no idea where madder is from. They can make some pretty bright oranges and reds.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
Generally I think the amount of higher contrast, darker dyes used is more unrealistic than bright ones. A lot of colors are naturally bright. I'm not an expert, though, nor did I do research to answer.
Darker colors were often a lot more expensive, yeah, because of how rich the pigment was, but very bright colors are also expensive. Muted/Washed out colors were the norm.