Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Love(Romantic) Vs. Obsession

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
"Lucia my darling, you have no idea how much I love you, how much my heart yearns for you, every waking thought I have I think of you, and I swear I will not rest till all that vile filth that dares dirty your presence is taken care of!"
"Lucia, I love you, with all my heart and soul... though I'm afraid I must go away for a few weeks, so that I may make good on an investment that will help me get that home we always dreamed of. Please, worry not about me, simply act as though every day is as normal till I return."

There are a few things you might be thinking:
Oh god, not another one, we all saw how well the LAST one went...
Nice! I can use this to make my character better by avoiding the obsession thing!
What the hell's up with that intro?
WHERE'S MY PIZZA?!

I can help answer all of these... including the pizza one, I ate your pizza, MOVING ONWARD!

Firstly, yes, the last one I tried didn't go so well. It didn't go well cause I was trying to do the same thing I'm doing here, but while also trying to tackle all the other relationships, and thus didn't go too much into detail.
Secondly... not necessarily... just because you're character has an obsession, doesn't make them a bad character... it's like having a character that's a narcissist, if you're pissing off a lot of people... you're doing it right. The difference between a good obsessed character and a bad obsessed character is partially how they think about it, as well as how YOU think about it. They have to think of it as a sort of devotion of some kind, whether they like it or not can change (but please no angsting over how they're obsessed... that gets old real quick.) depending on the character. The interesting part is... it also relies on how other characters see it. If everyone else is seeing it as "adorable" or "romantic" either you're not portraying it right, or nobody's getting the right idea. Obsession isn't cute, it's creepy.
The intro was intended to give a good idea on the difference between love and obsession, though I suppose I could do the same with pictures.

the ever popular Yandere trope. A Yandere is a character that has a love interest and will do anything, kill friends, torture people, even kill said love interest, all for the sake of... love? No, obsession. The big thing to remember is that obsessions aren't really logical, you have keepsakes regarding bits of this person, you work 24/7 to make sure they are either yours... or nobody's... and the big thing is that they are ALWAYS on your mind, influencing 90% of your actions and thoughts. If your character sheet pertains to about half being love related, chances are its an obsession since that means that around half of your characters very being and thoughts are devoted to this person.

In regards to Love... love's a fickle emotion, it can change from character to character, but the key traits are these-
Love can occur multiple times in life, so long as proper grieving time is given (this can take anywhere from 1 year to a decade, maybe longer)
One does not fall in love with 2 people at the same time, this is going off the fact that love is more of a hormonal thing done to stimulate bow chika wow wows, it just doesn't happen.
Love IS NOT something that can occur in just one day, bow chika wow wow can happen within a span of 24 hours of meeting a person, but it generally is meaningless, also... SHOULD IT HAPPEN WHERE TWO UNMARRIED PEOPLE BOINK, THERE WILL BE REPERCUSSIONS! I know Anhald already has penalties written for that (though I'm too lazy to look it up since I don't remember) and other areas may have that too.

Not entirely sure if I addressed everything, but make sure to remember... if you have a character with an obsession, play it like one, I personally have a character for a sci-fi superhero rp who has an obsession with his teammate and he's been will liked on the forums (OOC'ly of course since IC'ly he's a bit of an arse who's creepy, but dang good at his job) But don't play an obsession like it's just another form of love, it's just not right.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
.. I think this should be referred to as a personal preference.

There is love forged in minutes, maybe hours, maybe months and maybe years.

Just because one person can't make a form of 'love' within a certain span of time doesn't mean everyone else is affected by their bad luck.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
.. I think this should be referred to as a personal preference.

There is love forged in minutes, maybe hours, maybe months and maybe years.

Just because one person can't make a form of 'love' within a certain span of time doesn't mean everyone else is affected by their bad luck.
okay, look... you can't forge a love in minutes, that's called "Love at first sight" and it doesn't happen. Literally, it takes time, a good amount of time (most likely a few weeks at the least amount) in order to fall in love. Now, don't argue this on my thread, if you have a problem with what I've posted, please PM it to me.
^
Narcissism/Chronic Dance Syndrome/Making too good of a dance song.
<---Obsession

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
"Love at first sight" is just "Man, I really, really want to bang that person."

Love at first sight does not exist, I agree with this.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
k I'm just saying that its skewed saying that love at first sight isn't love when its clearly a form of 'love'
no longer argueing thank you have a beautiful night

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
k I'm just saying that its skewed saying that love at first sight isn't love when its clearly a form of 'love'
no longer argueing thank you have a beautiful night

Love at first sight is a saying, it's not something that actually happens. Next time you wanna post a one post comment targetting part of my post, do so in a PM. Until then I kindly request you delete your posts. EDIT: Sorry Glados, meant to put you in a different reply. this statement was not meant to include you XP
...Son of a bitch ate my pizza...
Damn straight, and guess what? IT WAS DELICIOUS!

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
why are you trying to hit on my wife

There is some circumstance to the term. Some people can sense compatibility with others quickly, which is usually to what this refers. Circumstances like Romeo and Juliet (where this is used often) are Glados' definition though.

Spirit

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
PudsNull
PudsNull
Legend
Love at first sight is a saying, it's not something that actually happens. Next time you wanna post a one post comment targetting part of my post, do so in a PM. Until then I kindly request you delete your posts. EDIT: Sorry Glados, meant to put you in a different reply. this statement was not meant to include you XP

Damn straight, and guess what? IT WAS DELICIOUS!
You. Me. Dual Katana. Bridge Showdown. Midnight.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera

There is some circumstance to the term. Some people can sense compatibility with others quickly, which is usually to what this refers. Circumstances like Romeo and Juliet (where this is used often) are Glados' definition though.
Lucia was just the first name that came to my mind, I swear! *Sweats nervously before jumping out a window*
You. Me. Dual Katana. Bridge Showdown. Midnight.
>_>
<_<
*Jumps out window... that was conveniently in the same direction as when he jumped out the first one*

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover

which brings me I guess to the point where I agree

romeo and Juliet is a story where they instantly try to marry to escape impossible odds and ultimately killed themselves.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
which brings me I guess to the point where I agree

romeo and Juliet is a story where they instantly try to marry to escape impossible odds and ultimately killed themselves.
The story isn't so much about impossible odds, as it is about the relationships between love and hate. The character Paris loves Juliet as well and is murdered by Romeo for no reason beyond his want to have her to himself, which is usually omitted from the play.

The two are trying to marry for lust and kill themselves because they think that's all there is to life, since they're both kids.

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
When my grandparents met they got married three days later and stayed together until they died. Just saying.
(( I personally don't believe in love at first sight. But there is a real life example of something similar.))

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
The story isn't so much about impossible odds, as it is about the relationships between love and hate. The character Paris loves Juliet as well and is murdered by Romeo for no reason beyond his want to have her to himself, which is usually omitted from the play.

The two are trying to marry for lust and kill themselves because they think that's all there is to life, since they're both kids.
can we even call it a lust

I mean tbh as cyber said with yandere tropes

They're basically two little yanderes for eachother

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil

I don't know that weeb term, but they see each other at a party and bang the night of because of Romeo's wooing Juliet. Much of their romance is operating off of the impressions they gave each other the night of, at least it is assessed. Shakespeare may have meant absolutely otherwise.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
When my grandparents met they got married three days later and stayed together until they died. Just saying.
(( I personally don't believe in love at first sight. But there is a real life example of something similar.))
ok then... I'll admit that threw me for a loop. I still wouldn't call that love at first sight, more of an outlier, something that you really don't expect to happen, but good for them.

I wouldn't call them Yanderes, just stupid children :/ This is what happens when you think love is all you need in the world, ad think that attraction is love. I suppose I forgot to mention in the above thread, but attraction is certainly something that happens, but many people CAN (not do) mistake this for love, as is the case of Romeo and Juliet. Hell, the whole play was meant to show just how stupid the two were, rather than how much in love they were.