Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Marcus "Pyrocide" Helix

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Name: Marcus Helix
Nickname/Alias: none really.
Race:Human
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 168lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Skin: Pale White
Identifying Marks: He usually wears robes to hide it, but his face and right hand are both marred by burn scars.
Appearance: Marcus has come to accept his scars, and while he still wears robes with the colors of his homeland (those being black, red, silver, and gold) he no longer wears the hood. He has long black slicked-back hair and a goatee.
Strengths: Marcus prides himself over his intelligence and his ability to get things done. Once his mind is set, very little can stop him. He is also has a way with words, and those who can look past the scars will find a great companion and conversationalist. He is a natural leader and is always observant of different ways to promote himself and his followers' position in the world.
Weaknesses and fears: He is not very physically strong, although he can usually make up for it in strategy. He is also seen as overly serious, and has a tendency to bring the mood down unintentionally. Marcus' drive is sometimes seen in a bad light, either as scheming (which isn't entirely false) or greedy (again, not completely a false accusation). Marcus' deepest fear is that he is not doing enough with his time alive, and that his efforts will ultimately be forgotten.
Religion and cults: If asked, Marcus would point to both the mysterious shrine to Jax as well as the temple to Jax as to where his devotion lies. Truthfully he has seen enough to believe in the existence of all the gods.
Profession: Marcus is an opportunist. He moves when he sees an opening, and continually seeks to build his network of contacts and allies through favors and deals. He wouldn't call himself a businessman or a merchant, but he does deal in goods and services if it will bolster his position socially or economically.

Backstory: Marcus Helix was born to a small merchant family in his homeland of Kalim (Kah-leem). He grew up decently spoiled and naive, as much so as a merchant child could in the bustling city-state. His father Jeremy Helix showed him the ropes of running a business even as a young child, although at the time Marcus was mostly uninterested in what he called, "the chores of adults".

Marcus was, however, interested in the family-owned warehouse. He considered it to be his personal playhouse. With the ever-changing stock, the big boxes coming and going, and the huge space it provided, Marcus loved it. He would find new fun ways to climb to the top from the boxes, play hide and seek with his mother (Luna), and just generally spend as much time as his parents would allow there.

The warehouse was also a place of refuge for Marcus. He would hide out amongst the crates when he was upset. One night, after having a particularly bad argument with his mother and then a scolding from his father, the then teenage Marcus went into his sanctuary to escape the continued yelling of his father. As it was late, he fell asleep inside. As an unfortunate twist of fate the local crime lord, Saul Bernetti, sent a group to torch the warehouse down due to a dispute over "protection" payments. Marcus escaped the destruction of the storage facility, but not unharmed. The right side of his face, side, and most of his right thigh, arm, and hand were badly burned and left him with permanent scarring.

Marcus, faced with a near-death experience, realized at that moment he had been wasting his life. He vowed to not waste another moment, and achieve as much as he could with the time he was given. His first mission was to take down Bernetti for destroying his father's business and as retribution for the scars he would have to carry for the rest of his life.

Unfortunately things didn't go as planned. Bernetti had the town guard, as well as most of the governing council in his pocket - not to mention dozens of thugs and miscreants to do his every bidding. All of this didn't phase Marcus. It was instead the threats on his mother's life that finally made Marcus back down and eventually leave Kalim altogether.

Still, Marcus' ambition had not been diminished. The fire that he was caught in as a teen acted like a catalyst - Marcus was so transfixed by the fire he began to identify with the flame. "Fire is change," He'd explain a number of times during his travels, "It has the potential to lift the primitive to civilized, the power to shape the world, and the ability to smite anything that stands in its way." Marcus views fire as man's greatest tool and ally, a constructive force rather than the destructive blaze that most see. He also views the scarring as a blessing and a warning, as he could have just as well died that night, but instead was given a second chance and the realization to begin to do great works, all thanks to the flame.

It's been about ten years since Marcus left Kalim and became a traveler. During his travels he amassed a small group of companions that decided to form a traveling group. The group just recently made landfall at Port Silver, and still are looking for a place to call home.

------

Recent History:
Marcus Helix, along with about a dozen others, set out to explore the Northern Kingdoms.

During the group's travels, they come across a deserted shrine to the god Jax. The group calls the shrine "The Four of Diamonds" based on the floor pattern. The expedition stops to study to shrine.

The shrine became the focus of the group, and they unanimously decide to make a semi-permanent home near the shrine.

The semi-permanent home becomes a small settlement as more experts are brought in to study the strange shrine to Jax.

The settlement is nicknamed "Riddleport" due to the riddle of the shrine. Eventually, as the settlement grows into a city, the name is adopted as the true name for the city.

Marcus Helix takes what is left of his fortune and invests into the construction of a gambling hall, betting on the shrine to bring in potential customers.

The Golden Greyling Gambling Hall is open for business, and is a financial success.

Marcus Helix institutes the Baron system of nobility in Riddleport. He along with a few others are the first Barons of Riddleport. Marcus is also given the position of Mayor.

A mage skilled in fire teaches Marcus the basics of magic, but before Marcus can develop any real skill, his teacher is killed.

Marcus cuts a deal with the newly crowned King of the Silver Throne, and ensures a spot at the docks for Riddleport.

The Bloody Coin, a group of mercenaries, Negotiates a deal with Marcus and the Barons to set up their base in Riddleport.

A sinkhole appeared near the Town Hall. Turns out a clan of Greylings were living below the surface of the city. Marcus negotiates a treaty with the Greylings, and the two societies co-exist in relative harmony.

Marcus has just recently taken on an apprentice.

The crown has been overthrown (apparently by the gods themselves). The new Queen has appointed Marcus to the Master of Coin council position.

The Riddleport Theater has been constructed, and Marcus' apprentice, Nwalme, has been given the task of managing the building.

Marcus has gotten a hold of some lost knowledge which he plans to begin using very soon.

Despite Marcus' attempts to diffuse the tension between Nwalme and the Barons Grimar and Kyro, the two sides eventually attack each other.

Nwalme is no longer Marcus' apprentice, nor does he manage the Theater in Riddleport. He is effectively forced to leave the city altogether.

Marcus has a new apprentice.

The Exodus has ground all projects and schemes in Riddleport to a halt.

Marcus detained an Inquisitor for trespassing and attempted kidnapping. Another Inquisitor is still wanted and on the loose.

A high-stakes back room gambling event occurred between some of the nobles of Cromarcky and Lonmar. In addition to a large sum of radiants, two very special items were won. Both the "Elven Crown" as well as the fabled bow "Elven Grace" are now property of Cromarcky. The Baron of the Pit currently holds both items for safe keeping.

A strange sword appeared on the shore of Riddleport. Marcus took possession of the sword, and hasn't let it leave his side since. He is currently trying to find out the history behind the weapon.

Baron Kyro of the Coin was accused of trying to steal from and murder the ex-silver guard Barroes. In a meeting of Lords, Marcus was able to hold back the group from massing an army to find and deal with Kyro. The Queen was convinced there needed to be more evidence before a trial could take place.

In an alliance of House Arcturus, House Cromarcky, and the Engem tribe, the Inquisition was removed from power, installing the Church of Might in it's place. This was in response to the attacks on Coin members as well as the attacks against the Engem people which occurred on the same day, as well as previous acts of power abuse by the former Arbiter, Albareth.

TheDarkFool

Lord of Altera
Hmmm, very nice indeed, I applaud you Pyro my friend, I didn't know you had the slightest bone of a story teller in you, i always had you figured for a diplomat, or politician. :p

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Hmmm, very nice indeed, I applaud you Pyro my friend, I didn't know you had the slightest bone of a story teller in you, i always had you figured for a diplomat, or politician. :p
Funny you say that, as I had just been recently looking through a book on Kobold lore. Kobolds have such tiny brains that most of them can't understand the concept of lying. Those that do are usually called storytellers or bards, and almost always become leaders of the tribes due to their ability to lie and persuade.

I like the correlation between that and the fact you've always seen me as a political persona.

Auxilium

Cobblestone King
A great story so far.

I can understand his affinity with fire, however, how is his view on everything related with fire? Hate/fear? And because most probably traumatised by the event in his youth; does he not hate being known as Pyrocide/Firebrand?

Really interested in more. :)

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Ah... oops. knew I forgot something. Quick edit to add the fire details in. Gimme a moment.

Karasu1996

Lord of Altera
that defines...NOTHING!!!! im a diplomat and a politician and you can read my story and think likwise :p

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
bettemus I'm sure myself and TDF would enjoy an RP session at some point, although at the moment we are hard at work trying to amass the coinage required of a city. Maybe when we take a break we could set something up.

Karasu, I feel the same way. Politicians usually make the best liars storytellers.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Thank you for your kind words. It has been a while since the last character background that I wrote, and I was worried it wasn't as well constructed as it should have been.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Updated. Realized I hadn't updated the character sheet since I first made it, which was over a year ago now. I've probably forgotten some things, if I have and you remember, let me know and I'll add it.