Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Maulerkin

HollowWorld

HollowWorld's Announcer
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Staff
1632610060183.png

[ ART CREDIT ]
1603294233713.png

- MAULERKIN -

“These are creatures of the dark.. A toothy smile.. A vicious expression.”
-=[]=-
[ Free to be used in Events ]

H A B I T A T
They thrive in darkness and it is not uncommon to see them found in a cave colder and more northern climates. While not common in the farthest reaches and the ice, they can be found in the snowy tundras down into the pine forest caves. They dislike heat and fire, so desert areas nearly the only place it is rare to find them. A maulerkin will spend the majority of its life underground, but disturbances or food shortages have been noted as pushing them to cellars, and to the surface for brief periods of time. Long enough to snatch a meal and drag it back into the darkness.​

P H Y S I O L O G Y
They are not physically imposing, the maulerkin. Not large and overpowering like an elchbar, or like the gryphon. Rather, when they stand on all four legs, they merely come to a height of two feet from claw to head. The length of their body coming in at four feet, with their long, slender torsos and thin, barbed tails. While predominantly quadrupeds, they can stand on their hindlegs when necessary, and are able to use their menacing claws to hook into flesh and climb. They can flatten their bodies to slip through nooks and crannies, much like rats and cats. So long as their head can fit the rest of them will be soon to follow.​
They are a strange creature to behold, with massive eyes set into a gaunt, skeletal like face. Thin patches of fur pulled taut over a vicious, toothy smile. They are creatures of the dark, and creatures of the caves, so their reddened eyes are almost completely blind with only a vague ability to make out movement. They are pained and shun from fire and bright light, unless they are truly desperate. Their hearing and sense of smell is incredibly heightened, with the ability to sniff out prey that may have moved through the tunnels as long as a week ago, and can hear the vibrations in the stone to know where they may be.​
Thick white fur, often matted with blood and refuse, covers the majority of the body aside from their pink, fleshy claws, the forearms, and also aside from the barbed tail. The barbed tail, in particular, can be slammed into prey to leave painful, stinging needles that releases a scent to alert all maulerkin in the area. Once the barbs are into something, it will not be long before a swarm of them come screeching and growling around the corner.​
A typical nest of maulerkin is composed of ten to thirty individuals, but in some tunnel and cave systems, there can be as many as three or four nests sharing hunting grounds.​
Diet: Their preferred meals are the giant spiders and their young that frequent the caves, and more than once have broken through into a wendigo’s den. They will eat whatever they can find, and eat whatever moves. While not exactly picky, they are often found in the nests and hollows of the giant spiders, if they are not fended off.​
Lifespan: A single maulerkin may have a lifespan of six to eight years.​

B E H A V I O U R
Maulerkin are similar in behavior to rats. They are very social with one another, and are prone to complex social systems and hierarchies within their own nests. Pairs will often break off from the nests to go hunting, and when they have found their next meal, will slam their barbed tails into it to release the scent that stirs the entire nest into a frenzy and brings them to the location. One or two maulerkin on their own is dangerous due to their size and claws, but if the whole nest arrives there is no escape. They are voracious eaters, and the only thing to cause them fear are bright lights and fire to their sensitive eyes.​
They will claw their way through dirt, and scrape and gouge at stones to further their own tunnel networks in the cave tunnels themselves. When food is scarce and they must get closer to the surface, they will tunnel into cellars and raid what food stores can be found there.​
When frenzied, they use their powerfully sharp jaws to rip and tear, and their claws to gouge and claw. If one manages to get on you, the maulerkin will usually try to climb tear at the chest cavity and head area. When dealing with spiders, they will first try to rip the legs off first to immobilize it, while half the nest shreds the nest and young to carry back.​

A B I L I T I E S
[Barbed Tail Bash]​
[Bites]​
[Claw Slash]​

W E A K N E S S E S
[Fire]​

Y I E L D S
[Hide]​

Original Writeup: NIAH

Last edited:

HollowWorld

HollowWorld's Announcer