Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

More Lengthy Tutorial - Human Body and Injury: Blood Loss

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I'm going to start off with blood loss and see what other topics we cover, probably traumatic injury types.

The adult human body has a cardiac output of around 5 litres per minute, with a circulating volume of about 5 litres. What this means is that, generally speaking, the blood in a human body completely circulates about in minutes.

The cardiac system works through arteries and veins.

Arteries carry oxygenated blood from the heart through the body.

595px-Arterial_System_en.svg.png

Veins carry deoxygenated blood back to the heart.
595px-Venous_system_en.svg.png

Bleeding arises due to either traumatic injury, underlying medical condition, or a combination.

Traumatic Injury
Traumatic bleeding is caused by some type of injury. There are different types of wounds which may cause traumatic bleeding. These include:

• Abrasion - Also called a graze, this is caused by transverse action of a foreign object against the skin, and usually does not penetrate below the epidermis
  • Excoriation - In common with Abrasion, this is caused by mechanical destruction of the skin, although it usually has an underlying medical cause
  • Hematoma - Caused by damage to a blood vessel that in turn causes blood to collect under the skin.
  • Laceration - Irregular wound caused by blunt impact to soft tissue overlying hard tissue or tearing such as in childbirth. In some instances, this can also be used to describe an incision.
  • Incision - A cut into a body tissue or organ, such as by a scalpel, made during surgery.
  • Puncture Wound - Caused by an object that penetrated the skin and underlying layers, such as a nail, needle or knife
  • Contusion - Also known as a bruise, this is a blunt trauma damaging tissue under the surface of the skin
  • Crushing Injuries - Caused by a great or extreme amount of force applied over a period of time. The extent of a crushing injury may not immediately present itself.
  • Ballistic Trauma - Caused by a projectile weapon such as a firearm. This may include two external wounds (entry and exit) and a contiguous wound between the two
The pattern of injury, evaluation and treatment will vary with the mechanism of the injury. Blunt trauma causes injury via a shock effect; delivering energy over an area. Wounds are often not straight and unbroken skin may hide significant injury. Penetrating trauma follows the course of the injurious device. As the energy is applied in a more focused fashion, it requires less energy to cause significant injury. Any body organ, including bone and brain, can be injured and bleed. Bleeding may not be readily apparent; internal organs such as the liver, kidney and spleen may bleed into the abdominal cavity. The only apparent signs may come with blood loss. Bleeding from a bodily orifice, such as the rectum, nose, or ears may signal internal bleeding, but cannot be relied upon. Bleeding from a medical procedure also falls into this category.

Blood loss
Hemorrhaging is broken down into four classes by the American College of Surgeons' advanced trauma life support (ATLS).

• Class I Hemorrhage involves up to 15% of blood volume. There is typically no change in vital signs and fluid resuscitation is not usually necessary.
  • Class II Hemorrhage involves 15-30% of total blood volume. A patient is often tachycardic (rapid heart beat) with a narrowing of the difference between the systolic and diastolic blood pressures. The body attempts to compensate with peripheral vasoconstriction. Skin may start to look pale and be cool to the touch. The patient may exhibit slight changes in behavior. Volume resuscitation with crystalloids (Saline solution or Lactated Ringer's solution) is all that is typically required. Blood transfusion is not typically required.
  • Class III Hemorrhage involves loss of 30-40% of circulating blood volume. The patient's blood pressure drops, the heart rate increases, peripheral hypoperfusion (shock), such as capillary refill worsens, and the mental status worsens. Fluid resuscitation with crystalloid and blood transfusion are usually necessary.
  • Class IV Hemorrhage involves loss of >40% of circulating blood volume. The limit of the body's compensation is reached and aggressive resuscitation is required to prevent death.
This system is basically the same as used in the staging of hypovolemic shock.

Individuals in excellent physical and cardiovascular shape may have more effective compensatory mechanisms before experiencing cardiovascular collapse. These patients may look deceptively stable, with minimal derangements in vital signs, while having poor peripheral perfusion. Elderly patients or those with chronic medical conditions may have less tolerance to blood loss, less ability to compensate, and may take medications such as betablockers that can potentially blunt the cardiovascular response. Care must be taken in the assessment of these patients.

The time it takes for a person to lose their blood depends quite strongly on where they were cut.

For Altera, a brief rule of thumb for you:

Jugular Vein, Carotid Artery, Femoral Artery or Vein, Subclavian Artery or Vein - will lead to death by blood loss within the span of Two Minutes.
(Notably, Carotid or Jugular cuts will lead to your brain running out of oxygen and you passing out in tens of seconds. [Will usually not help matters that this usually also hits the windpipe])

Vena Cava, Descending Aorta, 30 seconds to a minute. (The traditional Samurai ritual of Seppuku ends in a transverse cut across the abdomen to cut the Descending Aorta. Death promptly follows.)

Aortic Arch, Pulmonary System, or the Heart Itself - Pretty Much Instant.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
I understand that all this probably wouldn't be as known in medieval periods, but what extent of it would be findable in books in the PS library?

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
I understand that all this probably wouldn't be as known in medieval periods, but what extent of it would be findable in books in the PS library?
Probably none of it. Depending on the time HollowWorld of Altera is set (14th century, right?) we'd have all believed that blood was stationary and that cutting a person wouldn't do much more than cause extreme pain to the point that their body cannot handle it. They didn't understand how muscles worked, etc etc etc.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
Probably none of it. Depending on the time HollowWorld of Altera is set (14th century, right?) we'd have all believed that blood was stationary and that cutting a person wouldn't do much more than cause extreme pain to the point that their body cannot handle it. They didn't understand how muscles worked, etc etc etc.
Except that our timeline follows a different one to RL. Therein lies the problem of all fantasy medieval setting. While we wouldn't understand the complexities of the human body that we do know, we would know more than was known in Medieval times. Thus is the consequence of an alternate timeline.

Irregardless, it is the loremasters choice to withhold knowledge and it is very unlikely that this kind of stuff would be available freely. Knowledge is power and in times when power is needed so badly, this kind of knowledge would be a secret that masters of professions would share only to top apprentices and carry to the grave.

-K9

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
When it's bleeding, you seal it. When it's not bleeding, you leave it. Your Medieval Paramedic course is now complete.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
A certain hospital happens to have classes taught with the additional knowledge of mergick, leading to physicians muuuch more skillfull then this (thankfully, or half of PS would be dead!)

Angryboy

Natus de Aurum; Natus ex bellum
A certain hospital happens to have classes taught with the additional knowledge of mergick, leading to physicians muuuch more skillfull then this (thankfully, or half of PS would be dead!)
I.... I was referring to the real world.
How does "mergick" heal exactly anyways? Would I be right in assuming it just speeds up the natural process?

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
I.... I was referring to the real world.
How does "mergick" heal exactly anyways? Would I be right in assuming it just speeds up the natural process?
Somewhat, but not quite.

I encourage you to investigate mysticism IC :D

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Can I add something from history?

So, a lot of people love giving their characters injuries of eyes (Not mentioning any names, such as @Axex ...). However, loss of a single eye would make you far, far worse at swordplay or any sort of fighting. That's because you lose depth of vision, meaning that an opponent of far lower skill could defeat you, since you can't actually perceive the distance between you and the opponent. On top of that, you may bump into things since you cannot see the sizes of new rooms. Human brain compensates for that partially, but in a fighting situation it cannot do this quick enough.

On the other hand (puns), injuries to fingers, hands and arms would be far more common. One of the reasons is that this part of your body is the closest to the enemy for the most part, which means it's the most vulnerable. Aside from that, the weight of the sword itself, and impact of it, along with vibrations your wrists and fingers sustained over years could lead to some nasty fractures of said areas, as well as other potential long-lasting effects. Obviously that would be slightly controlled by the rigorous training, however apparently an awful lot of medical treatises of the time speak of hand injuries.

Axex

Lord of House Hawklight
I specifically mention in my profile that I have a blind spot because of my injury thank you very much! And since the injury happened an exceptionally long time ago, Axex has pretty much gotten used to it, but yes, I am well aware at how it negatively affects me Polo!