Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Mountain Range] The Funeran Pass

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant

Overview - The Funeran Pass is a stretch of icy, desolate terrain in the centre of the Middle Mountains, named so for their position on most maps of the Northern Kingdoms. The tallest peak is one of the highest points in known geography, and the weather is far from temperate.
Blizzards roll in regularly and without warning. The bone-biting winds often dislodge fresh-fallen snow on the mountainside, burying any hapless soul below in their own frozen tomb. It is a dangerous place, survived only by those hardy enough to outwit the elements.

The range is mostly unexplored. While some bravely strap ice grips to their shoes and head for the inclines armed with climbing picks, not many survive the journey, and those that are lucky enough to do so find very little of interest. As such, not a great deal is known about the mountains, besides reports of weather so harsh as to be described as 'sentient', and the occasional rumour of 'safe spots', where one might shelter from the weather.

Fauna - As joyless as life might seem among the snowdrifts, life does inhabit the mountainsides, scratching out an existence on the slopes and in the rivers. Otters, elk, and wolves are the most commonly spotted species, though white-furred bears and large, robust goats have also been seen. In the shallows of the rivers live greenback trouts and masu salmon, but in deeper waters of the lakes their numbers give way to white sturgeons and caridean shrimps.

Flora - Very little. The lower slopes are dominated by verdant oak woodland, but where the snows start, the trees end, and very little can find root amongst the barren slopes. Sparse alpine poppies cling to the rock alongside the various gnarled shrubs and patches of windswept grassland. Attempting to grow anything would likely be a futile task.

The Slopes - Settling at a much lower, more survivable temperature, the lower slopes of the mountains are carpeted in oak forests, teeming with life. Rabbits dart around the roots of the trees, toads croak by the riverside, deer move silently between the trunks. Birds set the forest ablaze with a roar of song each morning, and dancing fireflies bid the sun goodnight each evening. It's an ideal hunting ground, and the fertile plains that stretch out beyond the trees make for excellent farming country.

OOC Info - Temperatures can hit 11°C (51°F) at their highest, and -19°C (-2°F) at their lowest, with winds reaching up to 40kph and snowfall coming in thick and fast. If your character wanders into this terrain unprepared, it's a very feasible likelihood that they will die from exposure to the elements. Likewise, if your character covers themselves in furs but is inexperienced at climbing mountains, there is a very real possibility of them falling to their death. It's a dangerous place, so plan accordingly!

Last edited:

Paint

Lord of Altera
Frosty
Retired Staff
ShadowAdmin
ShadowAdmin
Frosty
Should probably do something like this for Myrneth.. I've written the info just need to get off my butt and do it xD

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
*puts on underwater-walking boots* I'll do this boys. *walks underneath ice before turning into a Thorsicle*

Nemoy

Lord of Altera
Nemoy2001
Nemoy2001
The Funeran Pass is a stretch of icy, desolate terrain in the centre of the Middle Mountains, named so for their position on most maps of the Northern Kingdoms.
The Middle Mountains? You could be a little more creative with it... if by 'Northern Kingdoms', you mean the big continent with Praelidium and Reignsfall and Queen's Port, or the one with Stormhold, you could use a Nordic name for it. Heck, just show me where the mountain is and I'll rename it for you - just don't call it the Middle Mountains. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as harsh, and I know you put a lot of research into this - just looking at the flora and fauna sections can tell me that - but its a painfully generic name.

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
Aye as Rygan said The Northern Kingdoms is our entire base RP map. From Vera Vigi in the south to Praelidum in the north. Altera is our entire world that mostly is unexplored with a few notable exceptions. The continents themselves I don't think have any agreed upon names for the entire server, I could be wrong here though.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
The Middle Mountains? You could be a little more creative with it... if by 'Northern Kingdoms', you mean the big continent with Praelidium and Reignsfall and Queen's Port, or the one with Stormhold, you could use a Nordic name for it. Heck, just show me where the mountain is and I'll rename it for you - just don't call it the Middle Mountains. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as harsh, and I know you put a lot of research into this - just looking at the flora and fauna sections can tell me that - but its a painfully generic name.
Indeed. We play in the Northern Kingdoms, as stated in our lore.~ So techincally, the range he means are exactly that- The Middle Mountains. Center of the map. So they're aptly named.

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
Ced refers to them in conversation as the Middle Mountains because they're in the middle of the map, and they're mountains. It's basically an abbreviation of "ya know the mountains that are in the middle of the map? yeah those ones". He's not melodramatic enough to call them something fancy, because most fancy names don't clearly denote geographical location - but your character can call them whatever they like :p