Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[NationStates] Location, Location, Location

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Your cold and hot currents don't make much sense. streams come up cold, come down hot. While some of them appears this way, there's some zones where there's only cold, and some zones where there's only hot. That doesn't make sense, since it's the heat pockets themselves that create water current. I get the feeling that you've tried patching up currents for everywhere, and it's not how it works. Places like the sea where the council is and the astenbech gulf shouldn't have so many contradictory currents, plus of all the same temperatures.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
Your cold and hot currents don't make much sense. streams come up cold, come down hot. While some of them appears this way, there's some zones where there's only cold, and some zones where there's only hot. That doesn't make sense, since it's the heat pockets themselves that create water current. I get the feeling that you've tried patching up currents for everywhere, and it's not how it works. Places like the sea where the council is and the astenbech gulf shouldn't have so many contradictory currents, plus of all the same temperatures.
friend.

f riend.........
I've no clue what you are talkingabout.

pls

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Also, the large southern ocean would likely have two medium currents rather than one incredibly large current when you consider the continental shelf of the Asian continent.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
#Geography
Also, the large southern ocean would likely have two medium currents rather than one incredibly large current when you consider the continental shelf of the Asian continent.
hey.

how about
you nerdlords do it for me.

because guess what I did.
a full day of research.
and you guys seem to think I did everything wrong.

so do it yourself.
because I'm done trying.

completely done,
looking over page upon page.
drawing and redrawing.

I'm done.
I'm ****ing done.
ugh

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
hey.

how about

a full day of research.

so do it yourself.
because I'm done trying.

completely done,
drawing and redrawing.

I'm done.
I'm ****ing done.
ugh
You're going at it again, gaby. Calm down, it's just a game! If you can't take pertinent criticism, then don't ask for it!
d you guys think I made mistake or is this good represent of rough oceanic currents?
We're only answering that very question, and objectively.

Megadonkey30

Lord of Altera
MD30
MD30
hey.

how about

a full day of research.

so do it yourself.
because I'm done trying.

completely done,
drawing and redrawing.

I'm done.
I'm ****ing done.
ugh
Mistakes are the best way to learn.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
You're going at it again, gaby. Calm down, it's just a game! If you can't take pertinent criticism, then don't ask for it!

We're only answering that very question, and objectively.
it's more that I disagree with your assessment, but I'm too bloody tired to explain /why/ I disagree with it.

and I actually can't understand the criticism for some godforsaken reason.

Megadonkey30

Lord of Altera
MD30
MD30
it's more that I disagree with your assessment, but I'm too bloody tired to explain /why/ I disagree with it.

and I actually can't understand the criticism for some godforsaken reason.
I'm sorry, I must not be understanding. But making mistakes are the only way you learn what you are doing wrong. Don't look at it as hateful criticism, but merely a way to make you unto a better meteorologist.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
I'm sorry, I must not be understanding. But making mistakes are the only way you learn what you are doing wrong. Don't look at it as hateful criticism, but merely a way to make you unto a better meteorologist.
again, I disagree and think they're wrong.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
again, I disagree and think they're wrong.
Wrong where? It won't get anyone anywhere to just state someone's wrong, then go back to silence. You are one of those that appreciate when people explain disagrees, well the same principle applies here. Why are we wrong?

To return on my first point in a very clear manner;

-Water currents and streams are created by the movement of heat in deep seas and oceans.
-Logically, most cold currents come from the poles, towards the equator.
-Hot currents are the previously cold currents whose's heat was raised by the climates they went through, which means that they'll likely start where cold currents end near the equator, and go back towards the poles.
-Those hot currents gradually lose their heat, until they return as cold currents, and make the circle complete.
-Rinse and Repeat.

Zones where currents or pockets of cold and hot waters collide/come closer together, often in tropical zones, are one cause of most tropical natural disasters, like typhoons and whatnot.

Last edited:

Spark

Broken
Wrong where? It won't get anyone anywhere to just state someone's wrong, then go back to silence. You are one of those that appreciate when people explain disagrees, well the same principle applies here. Why are we wrong?

-Water currents and streams are created by the movement of heat in deep seas and oceans.
-Hot currents are the previously cold currents whose's heat was raised by the climates they went through, which means that they'll likely start where cold currents end near the equator, and go back towards the poles.
-Those hot currents gradually lose their heat, until they return as cold currents, and make the circle complete.
-Rinse and Repeat.

Zones where currents or pockets of cold and hot waters collide/come closer together, often in tropical zones, are one cause of most tropical natural disasters, like typhoons and whatnot.
B0ss u wrong, warm water comes out of hot tap and goes down El plughole, and cold water does the same. All water is equal, stahp with your patriarchal ways!!

Gaby

Lord of Altera

-Rinse and Repeat.

well, I guess firstly, I had said that I had the scarcest idea /how/ to explain my disagreement. frustrating for me too.
let's see if I can do better this time...

well firstly, I'd read a bunch of information exactly like yours, but in the end parsed all that nonverbally, and drew based on a few base ideas, namely, the pressure cells, trade winds and westerlies, and yes, the polar front. as in, I was working based on these:

K12WhalingCurrntMap.gif 602px-Atmospheric_circulation.svg.png

which makes it really hard for me to even read your criticism. it's using language I wasn't using when I drew this, because I'd just gone about this in a really visual way, so reading a verbal explanation just makes my brain hurt because I've no bloody clue how to turn it into a visual model.

ugh, thats just me, though. I'm frustrated.

as far as I can tell, you're annoyed by certain lines being red when they should be blue, gosh darnit!
I'd like to point out a few things:

A) I was working based on that world current map. you'll notice at least three places where yes, there are warm currents as far north as Norway. the most famous example is the gulf stream. you'll notice all my examples of warm currents travelling really far north are based on the "gulf stream" concept.
B) all my north-running streams are either drawn based on the pressure cells I'd designated before (which were over the largest continents and oceans), or drawn based on the north-running currents in that diagram.
C) of course the cold currents are coming from the poles. I just skipped the many wee tiny blue lines coming off the poles because those would just look ugly. please.
D) I made a bunch of careless mistakes with the colors most likely. you see the red line north of Kronea that looks a little weird? I saved the PNG with that as a blue arrow, and I actually had to go back and draw a red line over it because that current is more likely a tropical one, considering its origin. point of the lesson is, if you really think the hot-cold isn't realistic, please just.... change them all to black.

B0ss u wrong, warm water comes out of hot tap and goes down El plughole, and cold water does the same. All water is equal, stahp with your patriarchal ways!!
that's... a bit rude.

I'd like to reiterate that what likely sounded like me getting angry over simple criticism was actually me getting frustrated because I had no way to articulately refute a post that I believed was wrong.

as in, I had a moment of brain failure and if I'd tried to argue it would have come off as a combination of angry caveman grunts and pointing to lines on maps. not very persuasive.

Last edited: