Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Finished [Nid Arach] Business on Unholy Land

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
(Art by Marco Gorlei)

Business on Unholy Land
This ever-changing chaotic land will succumb to a new dynamic. The days of silent sabotaging and forward planning are over.
The Arachians are gone, this land is ripe for the taking to those who got the strength and willpower to grasp at it.

Nobody will ever truly come out on top, but there will be those who shall finally have what they desire...

This is to become the new format of both [THIS] event and [THAT] event. During the events of this new format, both teams will attempt to take hold of the region in their own way, for their own motives. Be it constructing things, be it destroying things. Be it slaying monsters, or breeding monsters. Whatever they like to do, it'll all be possible! The biggest change: They'll do so at the same time, so they may find other people there to stop them in their tracks.

What are the new rules regarding things from the old format?
  1. (Daily) Loot:
    You will no longer be able to use Lootkits or look for extra loot by using actions. Everyone will get one piece of random loot within the first hour of the event.

2. Crafting & Salvaging:
    You will no longer be using actions for this. Instead, you'll be allowed to craft one item and salvage an item and smelt up to 3 bars of Arachian Steel at each event. If you've got lots to make, smelt or salvage, the only way to do this is to join a lot of events. Effort and presence are rewarded.

Crafting and Salvaging can only be done at a crafting station, as per usual. Put your items in there somewhere during the event. At the end of each event I go through the crafting stations and replace pieces with repaired items, and items with salvage. Smelting can only be done at a forge in the same way as the crafting station, just put it in the chest and I'll take care of all of them at once.

3. Digging Tunnels:
    You will no longer be able to dig tunnels. Should an entire group decide that they really need a tunnel for a specific purpose, we can discuss the possibilities. But as of now, tunneling is no longer possible.

4. Moving things around:
    Actions no longer exist, so you're free to break down walls, move corpses, build walls, etc. As long as you do it through elaborate emotes and give me a heads-up before you start on anything big. More freedom, less need for me to supervise.

5. Setting up traps:
    You can still set up traps outside your base. Instead of using actions, you'll be able to set up one trap per person per event. Just bring your own ooc supplies to indicate and set the trap. Refilling traps can be done without limit, as it takes plenty of time to find and fill em already.

6. Teams:
    There are no longer only two teams. The two teams remain, but third parties are now able to come in. Those within the teams may split up and form their own factions too. Anyone new may join these events and I'll likely bump this thread whenever an event is about to happen. If you're looking to do a solo mission into Nid Arach and you like me to DM, you will be joining this event. It's very likely I won't be doing private DMs anymore or only at a rare occasion.

7. Duration:
    Instead of 1 hour events, these will likely be taking between 1 and close to 2 hours. I'm aiming for a solid 1,5 hours.
What new things are introduced with this new format?
  1. Outposts:
    There are now 4 outposts per team. An outpost is a safe-zone for a certain faction. It is a place where that faction is safe from those of the other faction who might mean them harm. So as you may go about your business tearing down a wall that the other team doesn't want you to destroy, they might come after you in force. Outposts prevent you from getting rekt, in short, as you can run there to be safe and try again some other time.

Signs of the evil outpost: The black-red-white flag along with the banner near the entrance.
    Signs of the good outpost: The blue-yellow-white flag along with the banner near the entrance.

1591213874352.png1591213752334.png

An outpost is marked by the faction's own banner and flag. The other team will not be able to access these outposts, unless invited in. When in an outpost, you cannot take damage from other players. So if you see that flag or banner, you know you're either safe beyond the door, or that you can't go any further. The region is classified as violent, while these outposts are classified as peaceful.

The green and red dots are the outposts of their respective factions:

nid arach claims.jpg

Traditionally, the main factions in Nid Arach are the "Good" team and the "Evil" team. Those who join later may choose which faction fits them best and then make use of the green and red outposts marked as "0". From there, they may RP with those in the existing factions to find out whether they are allowed to also make use of the other outposts. If your character joins and doesn't fit either of the teams, I'm open to DM you to create an outpost of your own!

2. The Jail:
    The yellow dot in the map above is the location of the jail. Both teams are allowed to capture each other and then bring the characters to the jail. Being locked up usually sucks, because there's nobody there to RP with. In this case, this is not true, because you're only locked up for as long as there are people to guard you.

Whoever has most people in close enough proximity of the jail will control the place. So the ownership of the jail will shift constantly. Regard it as a King-of-the-hill kind of spot. If you're taken to the jail, there will be people of the other team guarding/interrogating you. Should they leave the jail and your team swoops in with bigger numbers, you are able to escape. Yet, should you remain outnumbered until the end of the event, you'll remain locked up until the start of the next event. Luckily we do these at least twice a week, so plenty of opportunity to free yourself.

When a group arrives in bigger numbers AND crosses a certain threshold toward the jail, the team with smaller numbers will be forced to give up the spot, as per the rules of this new format. Even if it's Podric sitting by himself, who might be able to take five foes down by himself, he will have to retreat and allow the captive to escape. It's all part of the game. You may bash heads in 1 to 10 anywhere else for all I care, but this spot is an exception, just like the outposts. At equal numbers, home-team gets the benefit and will remain in control.

Understand that you cannot capture people when in proximity to the jail. You capture them elsewhere and bring them to the jail.

The jail was suggested by Jazzper and I liked the idea. So let's give it a go!
General Rules:
  1. Everything is IC:
    Stay IC. Ask where people are by yelling it through the region if you must. Propose ideas in character. Do not use local chat for these things. When you get hit by an arrow from a trap, that will be IC, so roll the dice to see how much damage it done and react accordingly, even if it was unintentional. Unintentional activation of traps are the most common ones in character of course!
  2. Emote Emote Emote:
    When you're busy doing something, please try to use emotes. I can't stress it enough, keep emoting. Use short descriptive emotes to give others the chance to react. (a.k.a. don't open a hatch, go through, and close it behind you in one emote.) Most of you know this already, but it's particularly important in this setting where different factions visit simultaneously. By emoting, I see what happens and so do the others, but that doesn't mean our characters necessarily notice your character doing it. Don't worry about being discovered because of having posted an emote that you are following people. If those people are any good at RP they won't suddenly magically discover you. Using emotes is essential.
  3. Do not use Dynamap:
    Dynamap is not to be used for any purpose. Don't use it to check where your faction will start. Don't use it to find your friends. Don't even think about using it to find your enemies. If you are late and you've no idea where your mates are, so is your character. So check the spots where your character would check and stay away from Dynmap.
  4. Attempting Parkour:
    When trying to jump a gap and fall down OOCly, roll a d20, DC10. If you roll above 10, you are able to hang onto where you were jumping to. If you rolled 10 or lower, you must roll a d20 again for an indication of how much damage you'll take from the fall.
  5. Essence of Chaos:
    At the start of each event, I will emote the daily Essence of Chaos effect. It's an effect that will alter something in the environment. Try to remember that emote through-out the event and act accordingly. I understand it's easy to forget, but let's give it some effort.
  6. Possibilities:
    A lot is possible within this region. I'm open for practically anything; from destroying entire buildings to creating new ones. When you intend to do something that you're not quite sure about, or you don't know how to go about it, just talk to me. If I'm busy at the time, I will reply later on discord. The answer is basically as good as always 'yes', but I still like you to send me a message when you alter something somewhere.
  7. Join /ch DM:
    Join /ch DM for messages such as "Half an hour left", "I'm in pocket, brb" and the like, with which I'll be able to reach all of you at once. Do not use this channel to say stuff in, it's meant for me to announce things.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Too long, didn't read:
  • Arachians are not in the fort anymore, so it's a no-man's land with no foes but each other, some traps, nature itself and some beasts.
  • the original 2 teams have 4 bases each, in which they are safe, though new people who are not part of the team may join in and start in base 0 of the side they feel most affiliated with.
  • Anyone may use the land in any way they like and try to do what they wanna do as I DM, though these DMs occur simultaneously with other people being active in the region, so you may be thwarted.
  • I'll be posting the dates and times when we will be doing events, ahead of time, so if you wanna join, keep your eye on this thread or sit. ha
  • Want to do a solo mission into Nid Arach? Join this event. Private DMs are likely off the table. With some luck you join on a day that there are almost no people joining the event.

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The new DMs will start tomorrow: 6th of June: 2pm EST! Be there for a first taste of this new format!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The next one is this Monday. Gonna leave tomorrow open for a breather :)
EDIT: Same time, always 2pm EST

Last edited:

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I am incredibly happy with how the past 2 events went. To express my enjoyment, I'll describe this one thing, which will show you why I'm so pleased with how things go. It might not be 100% accurate as I may have switched some names around or missed a person or two, but this is the general idea:

Nid Arach is beset by a blizzard. Icy winds carry thick snow that obscures vision. Arielle slowly enters the tainted lands and starts to explore. While Ardaric, Jin, Cyrus and Raigo descend through the tunnels from their base into a dusty and forgotten dungeon, Milah has set a pile of corpses alight to give them a proper burial. Or is that truly the reason? She's piled them up in front of a doorway and then gives chase to Bok'ra. Branko walks in and Bok'ra fires a bolt at him, expecting Milah there. All the while Foxbells and L'Ollonais have made their way to the alchemy building next to the river to see if there's something left to loot. As they return to the fortress, they are met with Podric, Charles, Rowley and Eren, who had made their way to Whitespoor's tower to repair the mangonel that had been sabotaged.

The region is truly alive! There's people everywhere, with their own intentions. Sometimes they are able to do what they want, other times they are met with opposition. People can pm me if they do something that needs approval, or if they need a DM for a certain action or place that they enter into. I love it. Though I really wished I could tp to people to make it go a bit more smooth.

The next event is going to be this Thursday, 11th of June, 2pm EST.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
To those joining late: *The air shimmers and the world inside Nid Arach turns darker still. An ash storm swoops in from all around, the wind blowing in different directions, carrying toxic volcanic air and ash, obscuring vision...*

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Next one on the 13th (Saturday) 2pm EST as usual, for whoever wants to have a go again

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
For those who want to join, this is today's effect!
Depth perception is unreliable, and distance from objects is impossible to gauge. All ranged attacks are made with disadvantage.

I forget. Is this an application only thing
Nope! Just show up at the border of Nid Arach on the road to Storm's Landing and I can pick you up from there

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
For today: All sounds within the region are muffled, as if being made through water.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Afterwards we can stroll right into SL for the market event :)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
For those joining today in 10 minutes, today's effect is imperceptible. So all is just fine, the usual foul stench, polluted river, swarms of mosquitos and putrid swampland.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
This is so much fun. I'm glad how well this is turning out and how much fun this still is. Here's another example that blew my mind today. The odds of this happening and how much it's all purely IC. I love it.

Last time, Blorbis83 did a DM for his Sons of Jishrim campaign inside Nid Arach, while everyone did their own thing in RP. They could interact with them if they came across them, and weren't forced to do so if they didn't want to.
Today Jase prepared a DM for team evil for his own campaign hook. It's so incredibly satisfying to see how things just truly happen to happen in RP. Team Good was just on their way back when they spotted some team evil folks much further. They could crouch and witness things, while the other people/team could interact with this campaign. Everything purely and entirely IC, nothing at all OOC, as people do not use the Dynamap (as per the rules) in Nid Arach during these events. So much is going on and things interact with each other. Everyone with their own goals and ideas in mind, and still we all enjoy it; together! Nid Arach is truly coming alive with all of this. I'm so happy!

Thanks for coming today Luam Retro Hagrid Sussurous Jazzper ironassassin Magic Intern Cranium Philipe Galaxy and who I may have forgotten to list :)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
The Black Lake's depths are now open during these events. There's still loot down there, just lemme know if you should go there during any of the upcoming DMs.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Gonna host one of these tonight 2pm EST for those still interested

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
1 or 1,5 hours of this, tomorrow at 2pm EST, whoever feels like it.
This is not me being back entirely, I want to see how I feel when I host one of these again. How I react to doing so.
The campaign event that is hosted 1 hour later doesn't mention much of its scale in the thread. Is it big enough that everyone's going there and I better not host this at this time and date, or would folks be able to come to this too?

Brown

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
They/Them
Doctor_Brown
Doctor_Brown
Seeing as the Augury event is the first open one since the rework, it seems quite important and I imagine a lot of people will want to be there.