• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Official Lore FAQ

HollowWorld

HollowWorld's Announcer

Official Lore FAQ

Have you read the server Lore and are confused about some details? Ask below and it'll be answered so long as it's reasonable. Anyone asking for lore background that's not meant to be answered freely will be told as much. We'll answer these as best as possible.

{New Player Questions}
{General Threads of Discussions}
[Old Thread]

Race/Culture Questions
+Do we have Half-Elves and can Elves grow beards?
Niah: Half-Elves are not part of our lore. They're either full human or full elven, but we don't have 'half-elves'. Elves do not usually grow facial hair. It is uncommon, but it is possible. If you want him to have a beard, that's find. He would find it difficult to grow a beard and wouldn't have a hugely impressive one. Just short facial hair.

Science/Technology Questions
+Are clockwork, springload automatons allowed?
Solus: The Timelock and our setting prevents materials to be molded, crafted and used by any powersource in a manner to move, be active, or other on its own. The best you can craft would be a literal un-moving armor set display in replica, a wooden carving, or putting materials together to make a human-like thing. It would not be able to move as a robot would. You can give a large humanoid craft a big piston that comes out if you pull a lever, but again, it has its limits

+What's the deal with clocks?
Solus: We've allowed balance-wheel clocks and sundials to exist. Anything that has to do with springs won't exist as springs are somewhat techlocked. You can be a clockmaker, though- as we do have MC clocks and we consider them to work more in medieval form rather than anything advanced. This means we can have clock towers- but a specific version of them.

+Do glasses exist? What about goggles?
Solus: Reading glasses aren't invented or possible in the current realm. The best thing possible is that a glassmaker can make palm-sized glass lenses (gems are often used) that'll just enlarge letters in a book. These are called "Reading Stones" which were available in the 11-13oos in the real world. Reading stones are the size of ones palm and rough drafts of concave lenses that could make text bigger.
Goggles exist, but their craft must be made by someone who knows how In-game. ie- one cannot make them in their backstory. They are more aesthetic and for protecting the eyes than for seeing.

+Are wrist-crossbows a thing?
Deester: The forearm crossbow could be possible, but you have to bear in mind that shooting it would cause some backlash in whatever it is attached to. It is likely going to hurt your character's wrist, or not shoot hard enough to pierce anything. There'd be a small sweet-spot between.
Solus: ie- It seems to be an inconvenient craft.

+Can I self-learn Alchemy?
Staff: You can teach yourself alchemy via studying, research and experiment from scratch. All new characters should not start as experts or masters in their field. Some potions, like water-breathing- need to be learned via another, though, since its methods of use are more unique.

+Why are cannons allowed?
Solus: {Cannons}

Some of the reasons why it's still allowed is because of its implementation on the server already, having a faulty use for gunpowder, and because they aren't as great of a navy/siege weapon as some will make it out to be. I think Navy battles with cannons was a pitch to keep things interesting with a layer of risk on the server, too.

Magic Questions
+Can suicides be revived via the Sisterhood?
Staff: So long as the character or player has the will to live again, a character that went through suicide can go through the Sisterhood. However, if there's suspicions of metagaming or abuse of the system via assisted suicide or self suicide, then that's where we draw the line of a failed revival. ie- Your character should not be killing themselves, knowing they'll return via the sisterhood, because it lacks and disregards the value of life. The same goes for killing your character to avoid a permanent injury, knowing that they'll return whole.

+Is there any specific, hard bounds that artifacts (arcane or divine) are bound to, and would be an instant "no" from the lore team based on either their flavor or theme? Regardless of if they are considered over the top in power or not.
Solus: When reviewing pitches for artifacts, there's a balance we've at least looked for. That it's interesting, not powerful than any high arcane spell, and mostly adds in some new aspect to roleplay. The artifacts must also be a tool that's tangible, matches the description of its hosted spell (Incandescence Blade does Holy Light, etc). The artifacts themselves vary in ability, though. Not all are equal.

+I am reading more and more lore. With obsidian nerfing magic, what about Eviscism's +/- roll modifiers? Is it additive to obsidian's negative effects or when there is any sort of nerfing involved do they just cancel out our modifiers. I ask in-case I roll with a +3 modifier but obsidian is near that gives me a -1 or 2 or 3 or so on.
Solus: Eviscism's modifiers will still apply. The Obsidian is additive to its negative effects.

Enchantment Questions

+How long would it take to make an enchanting table?
Solus: 1-2 weeks in roleplay would be a reasonable time to make an enchantment table

+With the introduction of lapis to the enchanting proccess is there still a drain? Any sort of drawback to enchanting? You're sharing your memories with the introduction of lapis but I'd like to know what else to expect.
Niah:
From an in-character perspective, and a historical perspective, lapis has not always been used in the act of enchanting. There was a time when an enchanter's essence, the table, the object, and books were all an enchanter needed. However, an astute researcher noted that by incorporating small chunks of lapis into the ritual, that it seemed to have favorable effects. As time has gone on, most all enchanters have begun to place small vials of lapis around the object to be enchanted.
In doing so, enchanters have noted less mental fatigue and drain on themselves. The enchanter seems slightly less forgetful after enchanting by using lapis. More memories intact than if a barrier of the gem had not been used. The enchanter is not directly aware of the elemental pacts they make, but what is happening is a dampening effect as the lapis regulates the young elementals pull from the user. Memories and essence is shared, rather than taken. In short, the lapis seems to keep the ritual from taking too much from the enchanter. It's more like feeling tired and in a short fugue state afterwards, rather than forgetting short pieces of your day. When the pact is completed, the lapis crumbles into dust and is unusable again. An enchanter that uses lapis is often noted by having a blue tint to his fingers, as it makes a fair dye.

The elementals are naturally drawn to the tables. An experienced enchanter would prepare vials of lapis around the object to be enchanted. Upon placing his hands on the table, the table's inherent magic is activated and it begins drawing in his essence. Without the lapis, the enchanter would find himself confused and forgetful as his eyes closed. Time seems to slip away, as if caught in a daydream. There is a familiar moment to all enchanters when their attention seems to snap back to reality, as if a long period of time has passed. The enchanter may have forgotten what he was doing briefly, or even where he was. Likely that he could have forgotten what he had for breakfast, or where he laid his quill. If the enchanter employs the use of lapis, he drifts back from the daydream more easily. Tired, but aware as the blue stone turns to dust.

The lapis mechanic is intended to save the enchanter from such an ill fate. The memories are shared rather than taken. The elemental takes in the experiences, but by using the lapis as a barrier, the enchanter gets to keep their memories as well. They'd merely experience a tiring fatigue and sense of daydream till after the table ritual. Without the lapis in character, then yes. Such would happen upon the result of excessive enchanting. Like I said in my intial write-up, you'd forget what you had for breakfast. Where you laid your quill. Short term memory suffers. Long-term and excessive enchanting, without taking breaks, would affect the long-term.

+Do enchanters know they're making pacts with Elementals?
Lore: No

+Is Mending is ooc now?
Niah: Yes. Mending can't be achieved through the table anyway, as it's only something you can get from loot. So it's not something that would have been achieved by the enchantment table process.

You cannot repair an enchantment, as an elemental is not something that can 'break'. Rather, you must take great care to protect the object which holds the enchantment. If you keep the object in good repair and cared for, then the enchantment (or pact) will persist for as long as the residence is capable of holding its elemental. By this method, you are just mundanely repairing an object. However, each time you do repair and upkeep work, you are extending the duration of its pact and the elemental will drain essence and cause the repairer to have moments of forgetfulness during the process. Lapis does not seem to dampen the effects, as the elemental has grown much stronger and has absorbed enough essence to overcome the dampening effects of the lapis.

+Does the flame aspect enchant always work?
Niah: The Fire Aspect is triggered when something collides with it. The sword isn't always on fire, but when it strikes something with force then it does the brief flash of flame. Just rubbing up against clothes and handling it isn't enough to proc the fire.

+Would Bane of arthropods be effective on scorpions like I think they might?
Niah: Bane of Arthropods: In a similar fashion to the "Smite" enchantment, the involved elementals are experienced enough to have developed a hatred for Jishrim and his creatures. Abandoning the relative finesse of their counterparts-in-melee, the earth elemental within a weapon enchanted with Bane of Arthropods will exert their own violent force to bodily smash any such creature they make contact with.

+Would unbreaking affect the draw of a bow or just the wooden part?
Niah: Wooden part.

+I'm a little confused on how Sweeping Edge is suppose to work. The lore doesn't specify how it is activiated, so I'm assuming it does a gust when it impacts something.
Solus: That's correct- Impact needs to happen before it takes effect.

+Sweeping Edge says it can make keeping your footing an 'aggravation' so I assume it's a fairly strong blast. But what would happen if max level Sweeping Edge (3) was mixed with max level Knockback (2) on a single weapon? I'm assuming those two both do their blast, making it so it is an even stronger blast.
Solus: Although the combined enchantments will make for a more greater enchanted item, you're still working with small elementals. Knockback (2) and Sweeping Edge (3) combined would not knock someone off their feet. They would, instead, be more of an inconvenience and push an opponent back a slight by the wind, as opposed to being minor inconveniences.

+Does Gold carry unbreaking enchantments even though it's said to be fragile?
Solus: Unbreaking, Fire, etc- enchantments do work on gold and does increase its durability, so you are free to have Kethron pursue the experiment. Just keep in mind iron and steel are more superior as a base mold.
History Questions

+What is the broken-moon event?
Solus: The gist of it that's important is that Naelwyn and Legion arrived on to an Alteran Moon. SWIBN the fallen goddess was involved as it being her domain- and the arcane. The two were involved in her removal, and a small crater-chunk of the moon was ruined. This was back in 2013ish and it was to revamp magic. The aftermath was the following:

Broken Moon - An event where Magic was no longer freely available. Characters either lost their special abilities (spirit blessed, etc) or were allowed to have restricted characters of low fantasy or with adjustments. This established an introduction to the prior magic school of cogimency, mysticsm, thaumaturgy and evicism.

Misc Questions

+Is Epsom Salt Techlocked or can I light it on fire to change colors?
Solus: I've had some talks with Cukie1 on this one before concluding- Despite Epsom Salt not being discovered till the 1600s, it does occur naturally in the world and it's technically harmless. Benefits seem to be simple. I feel this is one of those rare occasions where I'll allow it into the world. If you're going to light it on fire, just be sure to know Alterans would only know chemical elements to a certain degreeand don't promptly know what to mix to get fire to change colors, but it's definitely possible.

+Do fireworks exist? How do they work?
Lore: Fireworks are one of the rare MC non-european items we allow in rp. They are used via parchment, string, sticks and gunpowder. They need to be small in stature and just to be clear, they are not firecrackers.

+Does Electrum exist in Altera?
Solus: Electrum does exist in Altera. However, it does not hold enchantments as gold does

+My character demonstrated a lingering harming potion on an arrow and shot it into a fresh cow carcass. Does the potion have permanently damage effects when made contact with the flesh or is it able to be countered? Say one were to toss healing onto the lingering to stop it from progressing like it would stop a normal harming from deteriorating, what would it do?
Solus: The potions on tipped arrows work as they normally would in a vial- you can shoot at a cow with a harming tipped arrow and then try to heal it. The injury will just be very delicate and prone to tears if the cow isn't held down to heal.

Lingering potions are different- as they're sorta gaseous. Unless you're throwing a healing lingering potion into a harming one- it wouldn't counter much of the gaseous lingering harming potion.

+Also, I'm curious since they are tipped on an arrow, would they be effective on other weapons like dagger, swords, crossbows etc or is it exclusively MC props only?
Solus: You can slather external potions on objects, but they won't be as potent as they are directly from the vial. I tend to say it's 1/3rd of it if it's been exposed to the air for more than 2 mins. Potions should be used directly from the vial.

Tipped arrows are extra potent- as the dragon breath potion makes it that way. But we'll keep them to arrows as it'd be difficult to monitor if it's set on other objects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
I'm going to attempt to maintain this with the rest of Staff when possible, so that everyone's on the same page and no questions are repeatedly asked. Please be reasonable in your questions about current Lore. Big scopes like 'wants to change the magic system' or questions that are more discussions than looking for answers should have their own threads already in the Suggestions forums. I'll be removing any posts that are irrelevant.

Hopefully people can respond here

Cap

Lord of Altera
Why are cannons allowed? This isn't to say I am opposed or on zupoort of allowing them. Just wanted to hear your justification.

Rossu

Lord of Altera
Is there any specific, hard bounds that artifacts (arcane or divine) are bound to, and would be an instant "no" from the lore team based on either their flavor or theme? Regardless of if they are considered over the top in power or not.

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Why are cannons allowed? This isn't to say I am opposed or on zupoort of allowing them. Just wanted to hear your justification.
At around the time Cherry handled Lore, she set up a discussion in Staff Chat about the potential of removing cannons, because the invention of it was influenced by China and we've been trying to keep the server strictly around the medieval European/Mediterranean area. Canons went under the radar before her -or were said to be minor constructions, as far as I know, or weren't as prominently used (someone from the past can pop in if they like). The discussion went on a little and some members weren't all for its removal. The thread moved down to the Lore Council of Fall 2016ish and the idea that was pitched was to find a spot in the middle. Where we don't remove cannons (which already existed in-game at the time), but instead- nerf them. {Here is the result}.

The debate on cannons was something I came into and didn't have a hard decision either way. If we didn't have a way to nerf them (via timelock/immortal king remnants), I'd probably start to weave them out. Some of the reasons why it's still allowed is because of its implementation on the server already, having a faulty use for gunpowder, and because they aren't as great of a navy/siege weapon as some will make it out to be. I think Navy battles with cannons was a pitch to keep things interesting with a layer of risk on the server, too.

Is there any specific, hard bounds that artifacts (arcane or divine) are bound to, and would be an instant "no" from the lore team based on either their flavor or theme? Regardless of if they are considered over the top in power or not.
This sounds as if Lore's looking for Artifact suggestions, which I'm not right now. But when reviewing pitches for artifacts, there's a balance we've at least looked for. That it's interesting, not powerful than any high arcane spell, and mostly adds in some new aspect to roleplay. The artifacts must also be a tool that's tangible, matches the description of its hosted spell (Incandescence Blade does Holy Light, etc). The artifacts themselves vary in ability, though. Not all are equal.

Can we get a confirmation here, is Crusade a woman/man or a suit of armor

please confirm
Crusade's a dude
Divines are generally shapeless- forming in essence of what portfolio they have in their realms. When they used to come down into the mortal realm, they took on a humanoid form and it doesn't quite matter whether it was female or male. Crusade took the form of a figure in armor and the lore does technically state 'God of War', not Goddess. But he was formed from one goddess and two gods. Just stating facts here. Opinions or interpretations can vary.

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
What was up with the whole moon-base-going-into-space with Naelwyn and whatever happened with all that lore stuff he tried to pass?
I've heard varying things on what Moon-Base was. And never directly from the two who went there, mostly because the main thing was what happened afterwards. And because it's always hard to make sense of the wild things that happened in terms of what lore is now. There's nothing fully written in the Lore section or archives, just what occurred afterwards. The gist of it that's important is that Naelwyn and Legion arrived on to an Alteran Moon. SWIBN the fallen goddess was involved as it being her domain- and the arcane. The two were involved in her removal, and a small crater-chunk of the moon was ruined. This was back in 2013ish and it was to revamp magic. The aftermath was the following:

Broken Moon - An event where Magic was no longer freely available. Characters either lost their special abilities (spirit blessed, etc) or were allowed to have restricted characters of low fantasy or with adjustments. This established an introduction to the prior magic school of cogimency, mysticsm, thaumaturgy and evicism.

I'm not sure what you mean by the latter half- can you give examples?

Raphael Payne

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Raphael_Payne
Raphael_Payne
Mystic
Maybe they were in the past, but the only whisper I've even heard of it is by rumor on the forums by players. So, "No.."
when we hear stuff like that and legends exist IC
"no" is horrifying

though i would appreciate alien invasion w/ vorars

Cymic_

Lord of Altera
I've heard varying things on what Moon-Base was. And never directly from the two who went there, mostly because the main thing was what happened afterwards. And because it's always hard to make sense of the wild things that happened in terms of what lore is now. There's nothing fully written in the Lore section or archives, just what occurred afterwards. The gist of it that's important is that Naelwyn and Legion arrived on to an Alteran Moon. SWIBN the fallen goddess was involved as it being her domain- and the arcane. The two were involved in her removal, and a small crater-chunk of the moon was ruined. This was back in 2013ish and it was to revamp magic. The aftermath was the following:

I'm not sure what you mean by the latter half- can you give examples?
Remember that thread he made with all of the older things he was trying to gather the communities support for- golems and cannons and whatnot?

Solus

Solzilla
Staff member
Server Owner
Remember that thread he made with all of the older things he was trying to gather the communities support for- golems and cannons and whatnot?
From my view of things (because there are many, and I'll try to be as lore-relevant here as possible), before I took up ownership, Nealwyn had things approved by prior owners- which I wasn't aware of until they popped onto the forums. As I was left to find aid from the council members of lore at the time, I couldn't support what he was doing in the confused transition that occurred as unlike most of the magic players- we didn't have an understanding guide on what his character could do and he was making a series of events revolved around it. He could very well have been able to do most of what he was campaigning for, but it conflicted with the setting of the server as arcane magic became more focused around distinct four aspects during the year before that: forma, vis, mens, anima. On the last attempt at a campaign, we tried to get a conversation going to understand what his character was able to do. Timing was never right, we were both busy, then other things happened. That's where we were on that.