Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Paying rads for Pokes!

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
I can help you put a team together. Exclaimer is right, the latest games (ORAS) contain all of the move tutors from BW2, so teaching these moves will not be an issue in current gen. :)

One of the big reasons for losing repeatedly is that your team doesn't cover a specific type or threat. Maybe post your team and we could have a looksie?

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
One of the big reasons for losing repeatedly is that your team doesn't cover a specific type or threat. Maybe post your team and we could have a looksie?
Heheh, don't get the wrong idea, my brother is no grand master trainer either. I don't want to win so hard it's not fun for him, I just want to be competitive. That said I'll drop our team lists:

My Team:

Shuckle: Support, Sticky Web, Stealth Rock, Toxic, Infestation/venoshock. Coolest poke in the world.

Talonflame: Attack

Megavenusaur: Sp Attack

Aegislash: Sp Attack

Machamp: Attack

Slowking: Sp Attack

His team:

Delphox: A real sonofabitch. I just added in Slowking to deal with this guy, haven't dueled with Slowking yet.

Snorlax: Another sonofabitch.

Salamance: I don't even know.

Ferrothorn: Blowmybrainsout.

Xerneas: ffs.

Megagengar: Donteventalktomeaboutthisone.

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
And I was here thinking you wanted Facebook pokes :I

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
Getting a Slowking that has Regenerator would be next on my to do list.
I can see if I have a regenerator slowpoke in my box. If not, I'll find a friend safari/someone who does.

Also, working on that Shuckle now.

AND THANK CHRIST THAT SALAMENCE ISN'T MEGA. THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO AGAINST THAT MONSTER.

EDIT: Teach Slowking Fire Blast. Excellent lure for Ferrothorn. Ice Beam for Salamence. Scald for Delphox... and you're pretty good. Slack Off for healing is great in conjunction with Regenerator. Maybe Psychic to beat Gengar, or rather to at least hit the thing if you don't get KO'ed by it. Up to you.

EDIT 2: Mega Gengar. oh my lord. This guy is simply the best Pokemon in the game IMO. I only have one thing to say on how to beat this. You don't. You better hope you get lucky in that it switches in on something that can KO it.

You might be able to beat Gengar with a Choice Scarf psychic type or ground type. Maybe I should give you my Landorus to have you stand a chance.

One last thing; is Xerneas the Geomancy/Power Herb set? If not, don't ever tell him about it or you're never gonna win. ;-;

Last edited:

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Don't forget to Super train them and get full affection

Affection:
  • 20% increase in experience gained;
  • Increased critical-hit ratio;
  • Increased evasion chance;
  • Chance to "shrug off" status effects;
  • Chance to endure a hit that would otherwise knock it out;
  • Certain Pokémon evolve when they reach a high Affection level;
  • Chance to hold back on an attack that would otherwise knock out a wild Pokemon.

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
Don't forget to Super train them and get full affection

Affection:
  • 20% increase in experience gained;
  • Increased critical-hit ratio;
  • Increased evasion chance;
  • Chance to "shrug off" status effects;
  • Chance to endure a hit that would otherwise knock it out;
  • Certain Pokémon evolve when they reach a high Affection level;
  • Chance to hold back on an attack that would otherwise knock out a wild Pokemon.
Affection buffs are removed in all player v player battles.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
Shuckle: Support, Sticky Web, Stealth Rock, Toxic, Infestation/venoshock. Coolest poke in the world.
I 100% agree with this statement.

1 more question, have you EV trained them? Or are these pokemon use throughtout journey? If the former, what are their EVs?

It's hard to give suggestions for your team without knowing EVs and movesets. I can however recommend against their team.

Delphox: A real sonofabitch. I just added in Slowking to deal with this guy, haven't dueled with Slowking yet.
Luckily, Delphox is generally quite easy to beat. Meagre defences and only a modest special attack, there are a few select pokemon that deal well with them:

Houndoom - Immune to both STABs (and gains +Special Attack from Flash Fire) and can KO with Dark Pulse, requires Speed+ Nature and speed EVs to outspeed, otherwise Choice Scarf it. Is KOed if Delphox is packing Focus Blast
Slowking/Slowbro - Get a calm mind boost up, and use a combination of Calm Mind, Slack Off and Scald. Both of Delphoxs SE coverage moves (Shadow Ball and Grass Knot) do a pittance after a boost to Slowking, while slowbro needs a couple of boosts unless it's running SpDef investment. Both have a guaranteed 2HKO from Scald to a full health Delphox.
Aerodactyl - Naturally outspeeds and 1HKOs with Stone Edge, can use pursuit if you think they may switch to almost KO (KO after SR). Survives the 1HKO from all of Delphox's moves but takes heavy damage from Psychic STAB.
Milotic - Laughs at anything that isn't Grass Knot, even without SpDef EVs, and 2HKOs with Scald
Miltank - Thanks to resisting both Psychic STAB thanks to typing and Fire STAB thanks to Thick Fat, a Full HP, full SpDef Miltank takes a pittance from anything not named Shadow Ball and 3HKOs with Seismic Toss. Miltank is also a good support pokemon in general.
Crawdaunt - Survives all of Delphox's moves, and with full attack investment, an adamant nature and a life orb, can 1HKO back with Priority Aqua Jet.
Heatran - The best counter I've found so far. Even with max investment, the most Delphox can do to Heatran is a 9HKO after leftovers, while Stone Edge and Earth Power both 2HKO.
Scrafty - Assault Vest Variants of Scrafty can 1HKO Delphox with a large investment in Attack, with a combo of Fake Out and Stone Edge. It even gains an Attack boost for the KO from Moxie.

I could go on, but I'd be wasting your time. Delphox is easy to counter, especially on the physical side, with either bulky, SpDef Pokemon, or faster/priority attackers with SE moves.

Snorlax: Another sonofabitch.
Snorlax is never to be taken lightly. It has multiple sets it can run and all of them are dangerous. However, Snorlax is cursed with the Normal typing, no reliable recovery move and bad Sp.Atk. As such, it's a pokemon that fears Fighting type Stab, can be worn down rather easily and can only attack from the physical side. Let's see what I can find...

Toxicroak - Somewhat shaky against CurseLax, but can 2HKO other Snorlaxes with Drain Punch.
Sableye - Takes a pittance from Crunch and can use Will-O-Wisp on Snorlax, burning it and halving its Attack, as well as knocking off its leftovers. Struggles to do any damage itself, but cripples Snorlax really well.
Misdreavus - Eviolite variants only. Does a similar job to Sableye with burn, but again does no real damage to Snorlax. Requires max HP and max Def investment to avoid the 3HKO.
Dusclops - Eviolite only. Same as Sableye and Mis, except survives to the 5-6HKO.
Dusknoir - Can cripple Snorlax with Will-O-Wisp and outlive it with Drain Punch. Burn and SE Drain Punch will whittle Snorlax down while Dusknoir recovers health with Leftovers and Drain Punch. Loses after Snorlax obtains a Curse or two.
Get the message yet? Burns really hurt Snorlax.
Aggron - Aggron's mammoth Defence stat means that all of Snorlax's attacks (unless it packs a fighting type move), do a pittance to it. Can wear down with repeated Iron Heads or Stone Edges. If Snorlax has a fighting type move (or earthquake) I recommend making that a Mega Aggron, as it loses its Rock typing (meaning its 4x weakness to Ground and Fighting) and gains filter, reducing the damage from SE attacks. (Out of the two I reccomend Mega Aggron)
Steelix - Sponges all of Snorlax's Attacks with its mammoth Defence stat and can remove all of Snorlax's Curse boosts by phazing it with Roar or Dragon Tail (best time to do this is when it's sleeping, assuming it has Rest). Steelix also beats non-Curse Snorlax in a 1v1 even without any Attack investment.
Terrakion - With full Attack and a Life Orb, 1HKOs CurseLax with no boosts 100% of the time. and 2HKOs it after a boost. It also resists both of Snorlax's main coverage moves, Body Slam and Crunch.

Snorlax is somewhat harder to counter, but you have some good options above.

Salamance: I don't even know.
Salamence has been a top tier Pokemon since it was released, and for good reason. Good Bulk, Great Attacking stats, 2 fantastic abilities and a wide movepool are the mains reasons why Salamence has been a top tier threat, but there are ways around it.

Weavile - Weavile has almost no switch in opportunities, however it is a solid revenge killer if you can bring it in safely. It can outspeed and 1HKO salamence with Ice Punch, or can use Ice Shard to 1HKO after SR if Salamence has acquired Dragon Dance boosts.
Mamoswine - Doesn't outspeed Salamence, but can revenge kill with Ice Shard similarly to Weavile.
Azumarill - Is immune to Dragon types so is a great way to remove Salamence if it's locked into Outrage, or Choice locked into a Dragon move. With a Choice Band, it can 1HKO Salamence with Play Rough after SR.
Avalugg - Walls any Salamence not packing Fire Blast and 1HKOs with Avalanche 100% of the time thanks to Salamence always going first.
Steelix - Will struggle to kill Salamence by itself, but can phaze its boosts with Roar or Dragon Tail.
(Note - A lot of the counters for Snorlax will do at well against Salamence, since it's a boosting Physical Attacker. Exceptions to this are Terrakion, Toxicroak, Aggron (non-Mega) and Dusknoir. Burns are fantastic at dealing with it.)
Slowbro - Sponges all of Salamence's Attacks, and has nearly a 70% chance to 1HKO back with Ice Beam.
Kyurem-W - Utilizing a Choice Scarf, can easily revenge kill Salamence with Ice Beam. Can Switch in on anything other than Dragon type STAB
Latios - Outspeeds and KOs with Draco Meteor with 0 boosts, can utilize a Choice Scarf to outspeed and KO regardless of boosts. Can't switch on as it is 1HKO'd by Dragon Claw.
Dragonite - Can boost alongside Salamence, or can just 1HKO it with Outrage. Note that Salamence has a chance of 1HKOing Dragonite with 2 boosts, and is guaranteed with 3.

Ferrothorn: Blowmybrainsout.
Ferrothorn is one of the best defensive/support Pokemon in the game, however, it does have its weaknesses, including a glaring 4x weakness to fire. Also, while it has a great defence stat, it's SpDef is lower and therefore easier to target.

Houndoom - Outspeed and 1HKO with either Flamethrower or Fire Blast, and can set up Nasty Plot all over Ferrothorn that lack Thunder Wave.
Kyurem-W - Burn, baby burn. Fusion Flare destroys Ferrothorn.
Infernape - Flare Blitz, 1HKO
Heatran - 4x resists both STABS, has a chance to 1HKO with Lava Plume with no investment, which becomes guaranteed with investment or if SR is up.
Lucario - Almost 1HKOs with Close Combat (guaranteed with SR), and can Swords Dance boost with little concern if Ferro lacks T-Wave.

All viable and strong Pokemon, although if you need others I can certainly add some.

Megagengar: Donteventalktomeaboutthisone.
Unfortunately, there is no way to counter Shadow Tag, as to counter means to switch in to something that can beat it, and you cant switch from Shadow Tag (bar some exceptional circumstances). However, you can switch on the turn it mega evolves, meaning you have a window of opportunity to beat it. These counters assume that Gengar is going to Mega Evolve on the same turn that you switch.

Landorus-T - While Gengar gains Shadow Tag from Mega Evolving, that means it loses Levitate, opening up a glaring weakness to Ground type moves. Landorus-T's Earthquake 1HKOs 100% of the time, although it requires a Choice Scarf to hit first.
Hippowdon - Specially Defensive variants only. 1HKOs with Earthquake and can heal the damage back with Slack Off.
Swampert - 1HKO's with Earthquake. Can sponge 2 Shadow Balls before falling.

I can list many, many more, unforunately all of them suffer the same issue. While Shadow Tag stops you from switching, it doesn't stop M-Gengar from switching, so you are almost guaranteed to lose a Pokemon to it, more likely 2 (because some idiot decided a combo of Shadow Tag and Destiny Bond (oh, and Perish Song) was a good idea. The only Pokemon I know that can kill M-Gengar 100% of the time is Tyranitar. It takes low damage from M-Gengars attacks (unless it packs Focus Blast) and kills it with Pursuit regardless of whether it switches or not. Unfortunately, Tyranitar can still fall to Destiny Bond, so you'll probably still lose Tyranitar anyway. IMO the best thing to do is to Keep SR up as best as possible, use a Choice Scarf on Tyranitar, switch in when Gengar is switched in and spam pursuit until it dies. Best case scenario? It doesn't use Destiny Bond (or Focus Blast if you opt for something other than Scarf) and you kill it, either on the switch or by outspeeding it.

Xerneas: ffs.
ffs indeed. This thing was nearly banned from PO's Ubers tier it was that good, but the set that it was almost banned for was the above mentioned Geomancy + Power Herb set. I'll list any checks or counters I can find.

Arceus-Poison - I very much doubt you have one of these, but it's one of the better counters out there. It 2HKO's with either Judgement or Poison Jab, but has a possiblity of being 1HKOd after Geomancy with Psyshock, so it's shaky at best.
Mega-Scizor - Can survive any of Xerneas' boosted attacks and can 2HKO with Bullet Punch (Choice band), meaning that 1v1 at 100% HP, M-Scizor will win.
Ferrothorn - As long as it has full HP and SpDef investment, can survive any boosted attack (except Focus Blast) and 2HKO with Gyro Ball
Muk - Assault Vest only, Requires full Attack and SpDef investment. is 3HKO'd by all boosted Xerns attacks (besides Psyshock(Psychic is walled)) and can 2HKO back with Gunk Shot.

I hope this information is useful. It took me 2 1/2 hours to research and write all that ;-;

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
ffs indeed. This thing was nearly banned from PO's Ubers tier it was that good, but the set that it was almost banned for was the above mentioned Geomancy + Power Herb set. I'll list any checks or counters I can find.

Arceus-Poison - I very much doubt you have one of these, but it's one of the better counters out there. It 2HKO's with either Judgement or Poison Jab, but has a possiblity of being 1HKOd after Geomancy with Psyshock, so it's shaky at best.
Mega-Scizor - Can survive any of Xerneas' boosted attacks and can 2HKO with Bullet Punch (Choice band), meaning that 1v1 at 100% HP, M-Scizor will win.
Ferrothorn - As long as it has full HP and SpDef investment, can survive any boosted attack (except Focus Blast) and 2HKO with Gyro Ball
Muk - Assault Vest only, Requires full Attack and SpDef investment. is 3HKO'd by all boosted Xerns attacks (besides Psyshock(Psychic is walled)) and can 2HKO back with Gunk Shot.

I hope this information is useful. It took me 2 1/2 hours to research and write all that ;-;
I think Xerneas is well covered, Aegislash is one of its premier counters. As long as you have an Iron Head.

I am very nearly done with the shuckle, just learning it Stealth Rock, need BP to get it.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
I think Xerneas is well covered, Aegislash is one of its premier counters. As long as you have an Iron Head.
This is assuming that Stealth Rock is not in play, that your Aegislash is 100% healthy and you switch it in AS Xerneas is switched in. Otherwise it boosts on the turn you switch in, 2HKOs and outspeeds while Aegislash fails to 1HKO in return.

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
This is assuming that Stealth Rock is not in play, that your Aegislash is 100% healthy and you switch it in AS Xerneas is switched in. Otherwise it boosts on the turn you switch in, 2HKOs and outspeeds while Aegislash fails to 1HKO in return.
The most common set for Aegislash specifically used to counter Xern actually avoids the 2HKO from Hidden Power Fire, the best move to use against it. Unless sunlight is up. For all of Dummy's purposes, Aegislash will counter it well.

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
The most common set for Aegislash specifically used to counter Xern actually avoids the 2HKO from Hidden Power Fire, the best move to use against it. Unless sunlight is up. For all of Dummy's purposes, Aegislash will counter it well.
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 187-220 (57.7 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Hidden Power Fire lol)

I'd also like to add that if Aegislash runs SpDef investment instead of an attacking stat, it still gets 2HKOd and still misses out on the 1HKO, so still loses.

Of course, this is all assuming that it's a Power Herb + Geomancy one, if not, then the number of counters are considerably higher.

Exclaimer

Lord of Altera
+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 187-220 (57.7 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Hidden Power Fire lol)

I'd also like to add that if Aegislash runs SpDef investment instead of an attacking stat, it still gets 2HKOd and still misses out on the 1HKO, so still loses.

Of course, this is all assuming that it's a Power Herb + Geomancy one, if not, then the number of counters are considerably higher.
That's a good point. What little I played of Ubers, Aegislash almost always worked for me. Only against geomancy did it fail, so I think I resorted to Arecus poison at one point.

special defense aegis is legit. You dun even know.

[ We need to play OU some time. ]

Itzzaboy

King ForumStalker
That's a good point. What little I played of Ubers, Aegislash almost always worked for me. Only against geomancy did it fail, so I think I resorted to Arecus poison at one point.

special defense aegis is legit. You dun even know.

[ We need to play OU some time. ]
1v1 me brah