Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Project Zomboid: Lana Vs. The City

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Welcome to a little series: Lana vs. The City.

What city in particular?
Raven Creek.
A mod for Project Zomboid that changes the game entirely by removing the expansive forests of Knox County and adds a massive city to it. The city has a stupidly high zombie population in comparison to even West Point. It also changes the game by adding fantastic settings and high loot.
With Zomboid's new build 41.50, I needed to start a new game anyway!
Since... the last save sadly must come to an end.

source

The start was not easy.

Lana spawned pretty much on the outskirts of the commercial district. At first, she had nothing to fight the zombies with. After about eight zombies in the street killed with nothing but her hands, it became quickly apparent she was going to die unless she managed to grab a weapon. Avoiding the growing horde by rushing into buildings and climbing fences, we found a shovel. That shovel saved our lives. With a letter opener and a tactical axe we found on one of the dead, Lana would keep killing the zombies as they came.
There were many.
It actually seemed like it would never end for a while. When the zombies finally stopped coming, it was already getting dark... and it was a bloodbath.

There was some very good loot out of it, though. One of the zombies was carrying a military backpack wearing a hazmat suit. The two houses were looted too.

From here, Lana made her way north-east. There was a stupidly large amount of zombies. She tried to avoid most. After sleeping in a house and waking up to a zombie at the foot of the bed that came through a window in her sleep, Lana decided she needed a place to live. Luckily, she found one.

With the walls and fences surrounding, the zombies only have one way in. Looks like somebody blew their way in at some point-- and the zombies knocked down the side-gate.
With a high carpentry skill, a gate could be made. However, that would require many levels.
The building was relatively simple to clear and contains many floors. Lana, of course, want to live on the highest. Who wouldn't?

Whilst in the moment, Lana did not have this map.
Here was the route. Best keep track of the buildings cleared.

After much rest and clearing out zombies that were loitering nearby, Lana had a much deserved rest whilst reading about carpentry.

There is much work to be done before this place is a home.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Played a little more today. It was admittedly a little boring. The bottom floor windows are boarded up, the side-gate (and a backgate I did not notice until a zombie loudly waltzed through it) are now makeshift wooden walls and I disassembled mostly everything in the tower for the carpentry skill and to clear the place for my own design.

As I was about to come off, I heard a helicopter. Next session will be much more ... exciting.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
knowledge

I became very lucky. A helicopter flew over the tower, luring zombies away. This gives me a chance to find a car.
The city is full of vehicles. Sadly, most are locked and without keys. Finally found one unlocked with the key in the glove box. After siphoning some petrol, I got it running. Snagged some good loot from some nearby garages-- including a generator I cannot yet use.

I sealed up the front of the tower temporarily to help stop zombies coming in.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Time to explore and leave the tower for a while due to a very annoying glitch where trying to interact with something on the top floor brings up tooltips for things on the bottom floor. Nothing funnier than telling Lana to put covers over a window-- and watching her run down 5 flights of stairs.

Briefly considered making a base in the strip club.

Found a military outpost, what used to be a shopping square. How do I know it was a military outpost?
The shops are blocked with invincibile metal bars-- and the one apartment not blocked was filled with guns. Not to mention the zombies. Do you know how hard it is to beat a zombie to death that is wearing full military gear?
The guns are appreciated.

Zombie hordes are much easier to deal with when you have guns. Sadly, the ammo was limited.

Route and buildings cleared:

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
The travel continues.
Had this grand opportunity to clear a small horde because there was only one entrance to this parking lot. Guns are fun.

I tell you what is NOT fun.
The game freezing and having to wait 5-10 minutes per freeze mid-combat. For 2 hours.

This alleyway was almost my doom for about an hour.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
helo c:

Life is suffering, yet pain is not part of said torment. The true agony comes from trying to battle endless hordes of undead, thus prompting the use of stealth. Sneaking around the cityscape, Lana picks off zombies one by one and proceeds to go through buildings story-by-story. Whilst the yields of food are great, only the canned goods are substainable.
A base will be needed: one without the hateful glitch of the tower which makes Lana run down the four stories flight of stairs.

Before I go in search for a base, I need to find a vehicle. I thought I could find one in the police station beside murder alley.

Sadly, the police station is walled off without fail. The entrance is blocked. I would need the second rarest item in the game to gain entrance: the sledgehammer.

I did find a pretty cool car on a street over, gathered beside a horde I dispatched. Sadly, one tyre popped immediately.

During my search for a vehicle, I cleared the streets. This took up most of my time as I got pretty nifty with a revolver. Since I cleared the apartments, I found several boxes of the ammo needed for it. I was zipping through. I cleared a hotel. Gun store was sadly blocked by unbreakable windows. Again: I would need a sledgehammer. Within the cinema, I found only one zombie and plentiful sodas.

During my search, I was attacked by a helicopter!
Thankfully, I was inside. I do not think the mods cooporate with one another.
The "Expanded Helicopter Events" mod makes it so military helicopters patrol the borders of the world-- to which Raven Creek is BEYOND. Thus, I will be attacked by mounted machine gunned helicopters each time randomly. Thankfully, I can hear it coming and get inside a building before it does anything-- as it'll just be shooting a wall. It did give me a scare when a helicopter came over and blasted the window beside Lana.

I found a damned good car in the cinema parking area.

I got very lucky and found the key in the ignition. The RNG Gods favored me this once.

I drove the cool-ass car (I need to name it) through the gas station and filled it up with fuel before going back to murder alley.
Murder alley has attracted flies. It makes my character queasy to go near it now.
I filled the trunk of the cool-ass car with canned goods to allow me to survive at least 2-3 weeks more.

My next destination? The city gates.
I need to find a way out of the city. I might be able to make a base beyond the endless hordes of undead.

Adam/Byrne

Adam
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Byrne_Nisovin
Byrne_Nisovin
Legend
helo c:

Life is suffering, yet pain is not part of said torment. The true agony comes from trying to battle endless hordes of undead, thus prompting the use of stealth. Sneaking around the cityscape, Lana picks off zombies one by one and proceeds to go through buildings story-by-story. Whilst the yields of food are great, only the canned goods are substainable.
A base will be needed: one without the hateful glitch of the tower which makes Lana run down the four stories flight of stairs.

Before I go in search for a base, I need to find a vehicle. I thought I could find one in the police station beside murder alley.

Sadly, the police station is walled off without fail. The entrance is blocked. I would need the second rarest item in the game to gain entrance: the sledgehammer.

I did find a pretty cool car on a street over, gathered beside a horde I dispatched. Sadly, one tyre popped immediately.

During my search for a vehicle, I cleared the streets. This took up most of my time as I got pretty nifty with a revolver. Since I cleared the apartments, I found several boxes of the ammo needed for it. I was zipping through. I cleared a hotel. Gun store was sadly blocked by unbreakable windows. Again: I would need a sledgehammer. Within the cinema, I found only one zombie and plentiful sodas.

During my search, I was attacked by a helicopter!
Thankfully, I was inside. I do not think the mods cooporate with one another.
The "Expanded Helicopter Events" mod makes it so military helicopters patrol the borders of the world-- to which Raven Creek is BEYOND. Thus, I will be attacked by mounted machine gunned helicopters each time randomly. Thankfully, I can hear it coming and get inside a building before it does anything-- as it'll just be shooting a wall. It did give me a scare when a helicopter came over and blasted the window beside Lana.

I found a damned good car in the cinema parking area.

I got very lucky and found the key in the ignition. The RNG Gods favored me this once.

I drove the cool-ass car (I need to name it) through the gas station and filled it up with fuel before going back to murder alley.
Murder alley has attracted flies. It makes my character queasy to go near it now.
I filled the trunk of the cool-ass car with canned goods to allow me to survive at least 2-3 weeks more.

My next destination? The city gates.
I need to find a way out of the city. I might be able to make a base beyond the endless hordes of undead.
Name that car midnight freedom

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Daniel vs. the Cooler Daniel

Covid:

Whilst trying to find my way around a shopping area filled with car wrecks, I heard a helicopter coming overheard. Lana immediately took cover in a building, but to her surprise, a massive explosion came instead. Zombies from all over began moving towards it, clearing my way to the city gates-- though not before we rushed in and looted a few bits of ammo from the crashed heli.

With the helicopter drawing zombies...
We made it to the city gate.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Bad news.

I found the tunnel out of the city, but it is blocked. Once again, I cannot do what I wish without a sledgehammer.
Thus, it looks like I cannot leave the city-- I need to search the city instead for a sledgehammer in order to escape. But by that point, I would have just made a base within the city itself and live in the city! :p So it looks like Lana is not leaving Raven Creek.

At least we found the exit.

It was a rough night.

The only thing we found in that tunnel worthwhile was some medical supplies and a Lewis Gun.
It weighs 10. That is a lot. Sadly, it has no ammo nor even a magazine. But by the Gods, I am taking it with me as a memto

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Since there is not escaping the city, there is two things I need to do:
-Find a Sledgehammer (for gunstore, police station and to escape the city)
-Find an ideal base location (that isn't the tower).

I spent a good few hours killing hordes near the gate area. Turns out they were all inside the skyscrapers and the doors eventually broke free... especially when I turned Midnight Freedom's radio on. The mod which added the car allowed it to have 'sirens' which blast out heavy metal and Flight of the Valkyries.
Needless to say: it was a very difficult few days for Lana.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Things were looking up for Lana. We found some really cool magazines:

We found some really interesting sights:

But ultimately, despite all her plans, there were simply too many zombies.
Perhaps it was the fact she discovered she could not escape the city without a sledgehammer. Perhaps it was the fact she ran out of ammo. Whatever the reason, Lana decided to turn on the blasting music of another car to thin the horde more. Which, sadly, brought one too many.

These things happen in Zomboid. The City won against Lana.
But she DID take a good chunk of the city with her. Just over 1700 citizens!

Welp.

Rest in pieces, Lana.

...oho, whats this button do