Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Active Sangiban: The Wandering Warrior

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Sangiban Duckface.jpg
[THEME]
Sangiban

-|- The Wandering Warrior -|-

Basic Information

Name: Sangiban
Aliases: None yet.

Race: Human, of Kaltic descent.

Sexual Orientation: Straight

Romantic Status: Eh, maybe someday.

Height: 5'8"

Weight: 145lb

Physical Appearance: Sangiban is a healthy, but haggard looking man around his late thirties. His hair and scruffy beard are a dusty, silky coffee-brown which can often turn a slightly lighter shade when he's been out in the sun for months at a time. His brown eyes are always accompanied by slightly furrowed brows and a look of stern curiosity or amusement, and usually seem to find themselves staring at the corners of walls or the entrances of taverns when their owner is in deep thought. His voice is low and monotone, although there is always hint of irritation or dissatisfaction beneath it all.

Eating Habits: Sangiban has horrible table manners, even when he's dining with people of great importance. He talks with his mouth full, slurps his soup, and has no qualms about eating with his fingers. Being a mercenary, Sangiban has a fairly broad appetite and there are few things he won't eat. His favorite foods are stews and soups, preferably inside bread-bowls. He dislikes salads.

Drinking Habits: Sangiban is a bit of an alcoholic, and will drink pretty much anything he can get his hands on. While he never gets slobbering drunk, he is never found without a strong pint of something in his hands. On days he isn't able to drink, his attitude is noticeably more sour and scornful. He prefers strong meads, wines, and liquors. While there aren't many drinks he'll outright turn down, he does like whiskey and brown spirits a lot less than say, schnapps or a pint of bitters. He has recently come to favor strawberry milk.

Hygiene Habits: The mercenary's life is not a clean one as it requires a great deal of moving about. Sangiban rarely bathes or shaves, and often whiffs of sweat and dust. The vulnerability that comes with bathing combined with a dangerous lifestyle has given him more than a few reasons to be apprehensive about washing himself in a tub. He will, however, take bird-baths.

Peaceful or Violent: Sangiban is very violent, and has no illusions about being a peaceful person. While he never kills without reason, he is almost always merciless when he does. On the rare occasions that he does let someone get away, it's always followed with threats and insults.

Backstory & Personality
Backstory: No one but him knows where he was born, who his family was, or what his childhood like. He rarely speaks of it, and his reluctance to do so stems more from him finding it a boring subject rather than his younger years being dark and unpleasant. That said, he does claim he was once thrown out of a mercenary company for refusing to follow orders, and that he's served a few small-time criminal organizations throughout his life.
Personality: Sangiban often comes off as terse, irritable, and rude because he is. He has no love of manners or social norms and as such, flies in the face of common expectations. Outright praise from him is quite uncommon, as it is more likely that he will simply insult you a little less. Sangiban also tends not to inflate or hype his own image up, and simply keeps to himself most of the time. Conversations with him are short, and rarely heart-to-hearts. Despite this, he does not seem to be an evil or morally bankrupt individual, and will try to go out of his way to help those in dire situations, even if he finds it irritating. The only thing that usually keeps him invested in such scenarios is the promise of excitement and a genuine desire to make sure that "people get what's coming to them." Sangiban often takes calculated risks, and despises heroes who throw themselves into danger without any forethought. As such, the man is loathe to act rashly, even if it would get him out of a bad situation.

Strengths:

Grouchy. Sangiban can be insufferably grouchy, and a good bark from him generally keeps shady figures away from him. If that doesn't work, being short and terse usually gets unsavoury characters to leave him be.

Cautious. Sangiban never acts without thinking long and hard about his first moves. If that means taking a few losses along the way to victory, so be it.

Clever. Sangiban is always trying to find a way to outwit his enemies whether in battle or information-gathering. He likes playing dirty, and often keeps people on edge with strange, seemingly sudden decisions interspersed between long stints of inaction.

Weaknesses:

Grouchy. While his cranky demeanour can keep his enemies away, it also drives everyone who might want to befriend him away as well. Forming attachments is difficult for him as he seems to find it a sickening weakness.

Traditionally undisciplined. Sangiban keeps his own form of discipline that involves honing his skills and laying out his options, but those who hire him out quickly find he's a rather bad follower. This could get him on the bad sides of many powerful people as well as lower his reputation- not that he has one.

Arrogant. Just because he never hypes himself up to others doesn't mean he doesn't do it to himself. Sangiban likens himself to a knight errant, but also believes his own opinions to be better than those of others. This causes him to mistreat and overlook otherwise valuable assets to his own misfortune.

Last edited:

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Inventory

General Kit: Sangiban travels lightly, both out of necessity and out of circumstance. He owns a cloth sack filled with bread, dried fish, and meat. Hanging on his belt is a canteen of water and a flask containing a slurry of various alcohols. He owns a moth-eaten sleeping roll and a few winter cloaks as well. Tucked deep within his bag is an ink-painting kit complete with bottles of blue, black, and red ink, a few brushes, and some small, hand-sized canvases.

General Outfit: Sangiban currently wears a tattered, off-white tunic and a leather jerkin. His boots are coming apart at the soles, and he almost never seems to wear socks. Thankfully, underwear is cheap, so he's never without those.

Weaponry:
A steel kriegsmesser, a steel rondel, an irzis-fyr arming sword with a drakodo hide hilt, a stone warhammer, a round oak shield, and a targe.

Armor: Sangiban owns a shearling leather breastplate.

Miscellaneous Items: None.

Skills
Swordplay - 5/10 - "I can kill a man with a blade. I just need him to be worse at fighting than I am."

Archery - 3/10 - "How do you aim with these things? You might as well as come up and stab the target with the arrow."

Riding - 1/10 - "I hate horses."

Wound Treatment- 4/10- "Ah! That stings! Oh well, it's clean now, even if it was a waste of alcohol."

Persuasion- 6/10- "Would you rather have me as your bodyguard or no one? It's better to have a body in the way, especially if all it's asking for is six coins a day."

Cooking- 2/10- "Do you want your steak burnt or burnt and still bleeding?"

Bartending- 5/10- "I'll put it on my tab....yeah...it's uh- it's on the house. I work here, after all."

Sumi-e Painting- 4/10- "Can't do people, I can do snakes and plants, though. Take your pick."

More to come through RP :)

Last edited:

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Relationships

Paramours
It's unlikely anyone would find anything attractive in this stone-faced sellsword (and vice versa), but stranger things have happened.

Bosses
As long as the money flows and you aren't a fool, he'll do as you say.

Orro: "You don't seem like the fighting type, but even you seem like you would have known how awful the Landing can be. Ah, well, I hope I don't have to end up using my sword while I'm in your employ." Orro seems quite naive for a Construct, at least to Sangiban. When he heard he was opening an orphanage in the Landing, Sangi just didn't feel right not offering his services. After all, there are more than a few villains around that would love to fulfill the stereotype of burning an orphanage down. TheDuples

Eliss Cuttingthorne: "This sounds like an easy enough job." Sangiban feels some sort of kindred spirit with Eliss, being a lowlife, but of course, he also can't help but view him with a bit of distrust or even contempt. Still, Eliss offered Sangiban easy money, so he'll push those feelings down for now. Mudpaw11

Athryl Mithtanil: "Dunno about your goals, they seem pretty lofty, but I think we might both be useful to each other. Let's hope I don't have to double-cross you." Athryl is one of the nicer employers he's had, and it seems that his goals are at least honorable, even if they are shrouded in mystery. IceandFire

The Biggest Bastard of Them All: "I have a feeling I'm going to really hate working for you. I don't know if there's anything to gain from even doing what you ask, but I'll be damned if I don't beat your challenge." Sangiban doesn't like to talk about this employer. He's not sure if he'll remain his worker for too long if he doesn't find what or who he's looking for. Kostadim

Companions
Good luck if you make it here. This is as close as he gets to having friends.

Anwar Attia: "We'll keep that drunken conversation to ourselves. You're alright as far as people go." Anwar and Sangiban met in the Landing tavern and they both immediately took to conversation about their hobbies. After a heart-to-heart drinking session, Sangiban believes Anwar to be someone he can truly trust and even count on for emotional support. Not that he needs any, of course. Pfft. adam_unavailable

Strangers
From tolerable acquaintances to insufferable dunderheads, all kinds get placed under this label.

Ruckus/No-One-Important: "If you weren't so soft, I'd be a little more afraid of you, honestly. Either way, I'll see you on the next undead-hunt, be sure to bring more of your jokes." Sangiban senses something of a kindred spirit in Ruckus, even if he's rather soft. He hopes he can get to know him a little more, but something tells him that that's quite unlikely, considering both of their personalities. ZeroOrgan

Maebh: "Nice dugs. Never met such a fashionable blind lady. Good taste in liquor too." Sangiban thinks Maebh is fairly down-to-earth with just the right amount of distance and mysteriousness to let him respect her. Magic Intern

Illyrana: "I wouldn't be surprised if even your own God wouldn't accept you in the afterlife. What a pain in the neck!" Quite frankly, Illyrana is probably the worst person Sangiban has ever met. The way she treated a grieving woman was something he's only seen in the most despicable, basest of crime-bosses. He pities her and everyone who has to pretend that they respect her each time she passes by. One thing is for sure; he won't be working for her in any personal capacity any time soon. The Cartoon Witch

Leonhardt: "Not one of my best employers. Tried to kill me because I quit. I guess some people don't take that well." Sangiban tries not to hold anything against Leonhardt, but it's hard for him not to see him as someone who believes his own legend a bit too much, but to be fair, so does he. Hopefully they'll cross swords again, and this time, Sangiban will be ready. Crusader_Of_Man

Goals

[ ] Get hired and get paid

[ ] Hone his skills. Next time, he'll be ready.

[ ] Get a proper set of weapons.

[/] Get better at being his own salesman.

[ ] Get some new clothing.

[/] Get alcohol.

[ ] Kill some undead and get paid.

Art

Sangiban Angy.jpg

65a8123a61bae1ed00d35db22fdb4f7a.jpg

63c7d60ec4cb84648ecb72c8d2fd8015.jpg

Last edited:

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Done :)

I'll be playing Sangiban as a one-off, I think. I just wanted a break from my other characters, to be honest- plus I've been watching a lot of old Japanese movies, so I wanted to see if I could write a character based off the wandering ronin trope.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Sangiban reminds me of Saimbang, which is Bwabo for a pipe to smoke calming herbs in haha

Blorbis83

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Blorbis83
Blorbis83
Legend
Small update, my dude has real equipment now! Also this is my "i'm back" post.

ZeroOrgan

Lord of Altera
*Pulls up lawn chair, sips from coconut with a tiny umbrella, can't wait to sagiBAN together with this goob on one of the undead hunts*