Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

State of Events (Q2 2016)

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
A rudimentary flaw that cannot be fixed. There has to be some kind of control to prevent chaos from breaking out as we all know it would. If the people making the event planned on letting it be a free for all, they probably wouldn't have put the fate of the Gods(AKA tons of server lore and history) in the balance. Because if absolutely everything were left up to the players, the server would have been set on fire a long, long time ago.
I'd never said everything be up to the players. The system is not cohesive to the events. A one-way narrative has the road paved while anything straying is rocky terrain, but it is being shown off as a road that heads anywhere. A choice needs to be made between freedom and narrative if this was the intent.

Centurion

Dark Council Elite
Campaigns in the past had huge branches of different outcomes written by the director. Real consequences make things satisfying. Plot armor is infuriating on a platform like this.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
I'd never said everything be up to the players. The system is not cohesive to the events. A one-way narrative has the road paved while anything straying is rocky terrain, but it is being shown off as a road that heads anywhere. A choice needs to be made between freedom and narrative if this was the intent.
I understand that, as I said:
Yeah, I know. I just explained how the server(the player base) can decide to go with Clain or against him OR without him.
Everything is up to the players, there are divergent paths available. But there is enough control to prevent a small group from running away with the whole show.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Everything is up to the players, there are divergent paths available. But there is enough control to prevent a small group from running away with the whole show.
What I'm saying is the "control" is ruining the narrative of the event, and restricting players to the background whilst Clain progresses.

This event series should not be about building up someone else in a fetch quest. An event character is designed to build up and develop the players. Otherwise, this role shouldn't be left to an event character at all.

Smurf

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Hiraetha
Hiraetha
Mystic
The plot does not hinge on Clain, but what the player base decides to do with him.
I don't think Staff would be particularly happy if the player base killed Clain off and took the stones for themselves.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
The plot does not hinge on Clain, but what the player base decides to do with him.
The plot hinges on him so long as he holds the mystical macguffin. Any attempts to retrieve it from him have been met with hinderance from the events team's OOC unwillingness to allow him into conflict. If you're going to argue the other direction, that it needs be given peacefully in alliance, then not only is that restricting, but it is as well hindered by lack of playing the character. If he has not handed the stone off after two months of little progression beyond his taking it himself, then it seems a stretch to assume he shall without a player push. The campaign does in fact hinge on him otherwise.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Any attempts to retrieve it from him have been met with hinderance from the events team's OOC unwillingness to allow him into conflict.
Attempts to retrieve it from him? Did this happen during a public event where the whole player base has a say? Because this sounds like a small group trying to steal the show.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Attempts to retrieve it from him? Did this happen during a public event where the whole player base has a say? Because this sounds like a small group trying to steal the show.
The whole playerbase does not have a say during a public event. It is too crowded to act in any capacity without your "showstealing" argument being applicable.

If smaller groups are each trying to "steal the show", that creates more progression than the idea being removed altogether.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
There are groups convinced that taking the stones will destroy everything. Forcing them to sit in the back and watch rather than act independently is revoking narrative freedom. I would go so far as to call it metagaming, impacting a character's ability or knowledge due to knowledge OOC.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
If smaller groups are each trying to "steal the show", that creates more progression than the idea being removed altogether.
If a small group takes the stone, and then some other small group takes another stone and they don't want to work together, then we get that whole chaos thing I was talking about where the server catches fire and everything is ruined.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
There are groups convinced that taking the stones will destroy everything. Forcing them to sit in the back and watch rather than act independently is revoking narrative freedom. I would go so far as to call it metagaming, impacting a character's ability or knowledge due to knowledge OOC.
Yeah, we have to meta it if we want the player base as a whole to decide the server's fate and not a small group of players.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
If a small group takes the stone, and then some other small group takes another stone and they don't want to work together, then we get that whole chaos thing I was talking about where the server catches fire and everything is ruined.
Another group can't procure a stone without the first one, simple as that. The server won't catch fire or be ruined, the Event Coordinators are only now in a position to progress the story differently.
Yeah, we have to meta it if we want the player base as a whole to decide the server's fate and not a small group of players.
The whole of players aren't making this decision, though. It is limited only to the small group that sides with the event character.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
I don't think staff have any intention of changing anything. No point in arguing. Gonna stop, myself.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Another group can't procure a stone without the first one, simple as that. The server won't catch fire or be ruined, the Event Coordinators are only now in a position to progress the story differently.

The whole of players aren't making this decision, though. It is limited only to the small group that sides with the event character.
Lets follow this through: Let's say the stone is given to a small group of players, what then?

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Lets follow this through: Let's say the stone is given to a small group of players, what then?
Ideally, they progress the plot. If they know where to head, which a few groups do by now, they can open the next dungeon. If it does require larger help than offered, they can branch out. It at least focuses on players rather than no one at all.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
That is to say that there has to be some degree of control to keep things running smoothly.
Disobeying your own rules to restrict others does not seem to solve much. It leads a poor example.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Ideally, they progress the plot. If they know where to head, which a few groups do by now, they can open the next dungeon. If it does require larger help than offered, they can branch out. It at least focuses on players rather than no one at all.
Ideally, they progress the plot, yes. But they could just destroy it, always possible. What then? What if they just destroy the stone?