Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Hollowworld Guide to Brewery

Raal

Media Gal
Legend
Raalvara
Raalvara
Legend

The Hollowworld Guide to Brewery
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There was no mistaking a bottle from fields of the year 2200, Snowdown. The musty and sweet aroma that rose from the bottle told a tale older than the songs of some minstrels.
Some drinks faded into legend, their creators and their secrets forever lost to time. There was still method - tradition passed from one generation's mouths to the ears of the next so that perhaps the kegs may be filled again with drinks sweeter than wine and finer than whiskey.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This guide is here to serve as a foundation for creating drinks using the Brewery Plugin as it is customized for this server.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raal

Media Gal
Legend
Raalvara
Raalvara
Legend

__
I. Setting Up Your Brewery Station
_

▸ Logs (Or something else to light fire on)
▸ Flint & Steel
▸ Cauldron
▸ Brewing Stand
▸ Glowstone Dust
▸ Wooden Stairs (Oak Recommended) x8
▸ Sign
▸ Bucket

Fermentation: Step 1 of Drink-Making
First thing is first. You need to set up your cauldron for the most important part of the Brewery process.
  1. You'll want to set up wood in an area like you are building a fireplace. Likely, to keep it neat, you'll want to dig two blocks into the ground. The bottom block need to be a burning material - wood or netherrack. Whatever you prefer.
  2. Take your Flint & Steel and light the fuel block on fire.
  3. Place your Cauldron above the fire.
  4. Fill your bucket up with water.
  5. Right-click on the cauldron with the water bucket in hand to fill the cauldron with water.
Your Fermenting space should look like this:

Fermentation Process:
In this step in Brewery, you are going to be inserting your ingredients into the cauldron for them to cook. [See: II. Creating a Drink]

Distillation: We're gonna cook it. Again.

Not every recipe will require you to distill a drink. Many non-alcoholic beverages do not require this step at all.
  1. Put your brewing stand down somewhere where you can access it.
  2. Right-click on the Brewing Stand to open the menu.
  3. Take Blaze Powder and put it in the Fuel Spot of your Brewing Stand.
Your Brewing Stand is now prepared for distilling a beverage.

Aging: Now we're going to stick it somewhere and wait a long time.....

This is the final process in creating a beverage - and it can be relatively difficult to set up. There are two ways you can build your barrel, and many different variations.

Minecraft Barrel

Starting in 1.14 the Minecraft-Barrel can be used for aging of a few brews. Simply craft and place the barrel und put the brews inside.

1596151419838.png

You can also build bigger barrels. They can be built in two ways:
  1. Obtain 8 wooden stairs (all of the same type).
  2. Place 4 stairs upside down with their back against each other.
  3. On top of these 4 stairs, place 4 more stairs right-side up with the back against each other.
  4. On the bottom-right corner stair, place a sign and on the first line, type 'Barrel'.
It should look like this when you are done:

1596151448473.png1596151455509.png

This is how you create a large barrel:
  1. Obtain 5 fences, 16 wooden stairs, and 18 wood planks (all of the same type).
  2. 1 block above ground, create a wooden 'plus' out of the wood planks.
  3. Build the plus back until it is 4 blocks long.
  4. In the grooves (The corners of the long plus), place stairs. On the bottom rows, the stairs will be upside down, on the top they will be right-side up. The backs of the stairs should face the inside of the barrel.
  5. At each bottom corner of your floating cylinder, place a fence post.
  6. Place a fence post at the bottom middle plank of the barrel's front face.
  7. On the middle plank of the barrel, place a sign and type 'Barrel' on the top line.
It should look like this when you are done:

1596151465848.png 1596151470056.png

When you have done this, a message should pop up in chat saying you have successfully created a barrel.
  • Open the Barrel by clicking on it.
    Put the Bottles into the Barrels for aging.
    Depending on the Recipe, the Type of wood used for building the barrel may alter the quality of the aged Brew.

The Barrel should not be destroyed while aging, as it would leak the brews.

• On the smaller barrel, right click on the side and a storage menu will open up. You will put drinks in here to age them. The small minecraft barrel is always of wood type oak.
  • On the large barrel, right click on the 'spigot' fence post (the one on the front face of your barrel). This will open up a storage menu that is larger than the small barrel storage menu.
Why make a large barrel vs. a small barrel?
Inventory Space. If you want to mass produce a drink type, you can load up far more drinks into the large barrel than the smaller. Remember - bottled beverages do not stack. Keep this in mind when producing a large quantity of drink.

Wood Variations:
Every drink may require a different kind of wood to age with. Some drinks will only age in oak barrels, some in birch, and so on. All wood types are used in aging drinks. Simply build a barrel completely with the wood type you wish to use.
Tip: Some drinks can use any wood type to age.

Raal

Media Gal
Legend
Raalvara
Raalvara
Legend

___
II. Creating a Drink
___

Firstly, you must understand there are different fields of focus in creating a drink. How you create the drink can effect the outcome, and in most cases, the quality.

Things that can effect the resulting beverage include:
  • Types of Ingredients put in the Cauldron
  • How many of each ingredient is put in the Cauldron
  • How long the brew sits in the Cauldron
  • How many times you distill the drink in the Brewing Stand/If you distill a drink in the Brewing Stand
  • How long you age the drink in a Barrel.
Different drinks also have different difficulties. Some drinks will require more accuracy in cooking and recipe than others. Usually - this will apply to rarer, special drinks.

To better explain to you how to create a drink, we're going to walk through making Apple Cider.

Apple Cider Recipe:

Fermentation:
  1. Be sure your Fermentation Station (Cauldron Station) is set up properly. [See: Setting up your Brewery Station]
  2. Be sure your cauldron is also freshly set with water.
  3. Before you proceed, make sure you have a Clock in your inventory.
  4. Obtain 8 Apples and 3 Empty Glass Bottles.
  5. With the 8 Apples in your hand, right click at the top of the Cauldron 8 times to put the apples into the Cauldron.
  6. Right click the Cauldron with your clock in hand. Notice it will tell you how long your drink has been fermenting/cooking for.
  7. You will want to wait 4 IRL minutes.
  8. After 4 minutes, right-click on the top of the cauldron with your 3 Glass Bottles in hand. This will fill up the bottles with the brew you have made. It will appear as a mixture called 'Apple Juice'. This is because it has not been distilled or aged yet.
Distillation:
  1. Take your three bottles of 'Apple Juice' and set them in the Brewing Stand.
  2. Charge the stand with Blaze Powder and insert a Glowstone Dust to the top center slot.
  3. Wait for 2 rounds for the juice to cook. (Twice Distilled)
  4. After the 2nd round, take the bottles out of the Brewing Stand.
Aging:
  1. Put the three bottles of the mixture into a wood barrel you have created of any type of wood.
  2. You will need to let it sit in there for 3 years. (The Brewery Plugin site will tell you this is by Minecraft Days. Just check the barrel every now and again and the bottle will tell you whether or not it has aged the correct time.)
At the end, you should pull out a Bottle with Red Liquid named "Wondrous Apple Cider".

There are 3 different qualities of each alcoholic beverage. Wondrous Apple Cider, in this case, is the best quality of this drink. It means you have achieved every value as inputted in the configuration files of Brewery as it is written. Quality will change based on how accurately you recreate a recipe. And, again, some drinks will be more difficult than others and will require a higher accuracy.

Raal

Media Gal
Legend
Raalvara
Raalvara
Legend
_
III. Experimentation and Further Tips
____

There are 10 categories of Alcoholic Beverages:

Beer
Wine
Whiskey
Vodka
Absinthe
Gin
Cider
Rum
Champagne
Misc

3 Non-Alcoholic Beverages:
Tea
Juice
Dessert

And a few additional Categories:
(For now) Medical
"Recreational"
Easter Eggs

Q&A:

Q: How do I discover Recipes?

A: Attempt creating drinks through the explain process - change different variables: ingredients, cooking time, distillation rounds, aging time.

Q: Are the drinks alcoholic ingame?
A: The Brewery Plugin has a feature that allows you to set a value for a drink to be alcoholic. This adds multiple effects to the player such as stumbling around when walking, changing up text to sound drunk, and so on. Many of these effects can impede roleplay and hinder the desire to use them ingame. For now, the alcoholic value of beverages has been disabled.

Q: Must I have a beverage to say that ICly I have a certain drink?
A: For drinks in their most simple forms, its absolutely fine to not have a crafted beverage at all. For convenience, you can simply say you purchased a drink from a barkeep or such. Brewery more specifically deals with drinks that are rare or uncommon such as "King's Reserve" or "Starlight Nectar". These are beverages that would not commonly just appear in a mundane, common tavern. It would be advised that these be used as placeholders like any other RP object.

Additional Notes:

As I am now maintaining the Brewery Plugin, I can add drinks more regularly into this list of Custom Drinks created for Hollowworld. As there is already a hefty list of drinks to be managed, this will be done as a reward to forum competitions, events, and other special occasions. I will send you a form to submit a possible drink if such a thing occurs.

I will not be releasing recipes openly for drinks expect, perhaps, that I may include some basic recipes in newsletters.

Tip #1: Most categories of drinks follow a pattern. Beers will use Wheat. Ciders will use Apples. Categories have been given certain standards in creation to give the player expectations when creating a drink.

Tip #2: A lot of old recipes have been rewritten for the 1.13 update. Some recipes have been removed. You may inquire whether or not the recipe still exists and I will confirm whether or not it does still exist. Any issues about missing recipes can be discussed in a Support Ticket.

Last edited:

I would like to congratulate and thank staff for a long overdue update. To my knowledge, the last person to mess with this plugin was Sally, so this is a long time coming.

Question: What is being done to encourage brewing as an IC profession? Everybody now has a great guide on how to build these tools, but it is my hope that knowledge, tools, resources, and mechanisms behind brewing must be properly sourced to be legitimate ic, much like other professions. Is that how it's going to work?

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
My problem with the brewery plugin has always been that it makes drinks unique to a region, or to a certain brewer, craftable by anyone. Lannis's character, Jaret, used to be the sole maker of King's Reserve back in the day in Vigil's Rest for example because he was a king. Or Teeke was the only maker of that nasty watermelon drink.

With brewery, anyone can stumble upon that recipe and say they know how to make it. Things are no longer special or exclusive to the original brewer, or a trade commodity of the region they're supposedly manufactured in.

I'm building up am absinthe gig and winery in Eastwatch, so my question is this: Why would anyone want to put their region or characters special drink in the plugin if it means everyone else can make and sell it too? What benefit is there in doing it via plugin, rather than purely through roleplay?

Last edited:

My problem with the brewery plugin has always been that it makes drinks unique to a region, or to a certain brewer, craftable by anyone. Lannis's character, Jaret, used to be the sole maker of King's Reserve in Vigil's Rest for example because he was a king. Or Teeke was the only maker of that nasty watermelon drink.

With brewery, anyone can stumble upon that recipe and say they know how to make it. Things are no longer special or exclusive to the original brewer, or a trade commodity of the region they're supposedly manufactured in.

I'm building up am absinthe gig in Eastwatch, so my question is this: Why would anyone want to put their region or characters special drink in the plugin if it means everyone else can make and sell it too? What benefit is there in doing it via plugin, rather than purely through roleplay?
This is relevant, especially to my ooc vs ic knowledge point. I'm not staff and this is unsolicited, but here is my suggestion and thoughts on the topic.

I don't think the plugin has per drink permission, so ooc discovery cannot be stopped. But now that we have a dedicated manager of this plugin, hi Raal, I think we have a better shot at differentiating between ooc and ic actions just like any other profession.

My recommendation is that naming new custom drinks should come from the source. So there should be a generic absinthe, for example, but if its an ic brewing operation that makes absinthe, and that operation is named Niah, then the player who runs the operation applies for a custom absinthe recipe, which would be called Niah's Absinthe. The plugin manager keeps track of IC breweries and has criteria that must be met to qualify for an IC brewery and for custom recipes, such as legitimately sourcing the knowledge, tools, produce, and mechanisms for making the drink. Can't poof in ic stills, barrels, or the knowledge of how to make them. Must have appropriate source for produce, et cetera.

While those recipes are technically discoverable ooc, any named custom recipes should be ICly protected, and people making protected drinks who are not authorized to make them should be considered to be meta/power gaming (using ooc knowledge for ic purposes, saying you can make somebody else's custom drink). Selling somebody else's drinks, ooc or ic, without permission, should be against the rules.

Staff should keep a list of every custom drink. I think the list of breweries who have custom drinks should be public. I am torn on publicizing the list of custom drinks. But absolutely do not ever release custom drink recipes to anybody but the owner of said drink. With that said, I am against using custom drinks as forum, event, or special occasion rewards. It should be treated as an IC profession, and custom drinks should only be given to those who are devoted to the craft.

The second component of all of this should be... don't be a dick. I'm not gonna brew Lannis's ale, but I don't want Lannis brewing my wines. This also goes for consumers. If you want to protect the integrity of the profession, make sure you buy drinks properly sourced instead of ones poofed in. If you're just goofing around ooc, make and drink whatever you want.

Generic drinks should be okay in rp, but they should not be sourced to the player who made them unless that player has legitimately sourced everything needed for IC brewing. Otherwise, brewing generic drinks should be considered buying them from an NPC.

Tldr: Treat brewing as an IC profession just like any other profession, and play nice. Application process for breweries to ensure sourcing. Application process for breweries to apply for custom drinks.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
My problem with the brewery plugin has always been that it makes drinks unique to a region, or to a certain brewer, craftable by anyone. Lannis's character, Jaret, used to be the sole maker of King's Reserve back in the day in Vigil's Rest for example because he was a king. Or Teeke was the only maker of that nasty watermelon drink.

I'm building up am absinthe gig and winery in Eastwatch, so my question is this: Why would anyone want to put their region or characters special drink in the plugin if it means everyone else can make and sell it too? What benefit is there in doing it via plugin, rather than purely through roleplay?
It’s the same as carrying a sword around IC and having the OOC weapon. It’s a prop, but works around the creation process more than the sword—meaning that the drink is less likely to be “spawned in”. The line is easier to draw for these items made, which we all know and complain about with other props.

Assumedly you can still say “hey this water bottle is this” and no one is gonna freak out. It’s just a bit more immersive to have the prop. That’s how I see it, if it makes sense.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I like that it becomes more accessible to everyone.

Once I went online and searched the internet for medieval methods of brewing. I found a list of required items, ingredients, and machines. It was incredibly fun to create everything i needed and it required quite a large house for the creation of a simple mug of ale. I needed a place to keep ingredients in, I needed a place to keep the residu that comes out in the process of making the beer, I had a small garden with hops, another garden with barley. I even had a bit of garden with two pigs, because the site said in the old days people gave the residues to the pigs which resulted in less garbage and fed pigs to one day eat. The website also indicated the time you need to keep things in certain barrels and how delicate the balance was in creating tastes and such (plus they had a few words to spare about the smell!).

I'm trying to get at the point that brewing is far more than just the making of drinks. If you do some research you can find a lot of interconnected things that surround brewing. I don't want to force anyone into making all the required spaces and instruments you might need, aside from the plugin. But I am trying to convince you to take a look at it and use the plugin as a base for OOC item creation, then expand on that by reading stuff and implement it in MC too. You can have so much fun with brewing, beyond just a cauldron on a fire, a brewery stand and some wooden barrels with a sign on em. :)

Great to have such a plugin, makes me want to try my hand at it myself again, like so long ago!
*thumbs up*

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
It’s the same as carrying a sword around IC and having the OOC weapon. It’s a prop, but works around the creation process more than the sword—meaning that the drink is less likely to be “spawned in”. The line is easier to draw for these items made, which we all know and complain about with other props.

Assumedly you can still say “hey this water bottle is this” and no one is gonna freak out. It’s just a bit more immersive to have the prop. That’s how I see it, if it makes sense.
It is a prop, yes. Which is precisely the point why I'm indifferent at best to brewery. You get Jerry down in Storm's Landing able to make the Queensport's Queen's Brew because he found the recipe, and sells the props in his chest shop. Someone takes that as being IC, despite that brew being only sold IC in Queensport. That was moreso my point. It's a prop yes, but it's the point of origin that I'm wondering why bother with doing brewery at all. Rather than just take a potion and rename it on an anvil yourself to make it more exclusive.

It is a prop, yes. Which is precisely the point why I'm indifferent at best to brewery. You get Jerry down in Storm's Landing able to make the Queensport's Queen's Brew because he found the recipe, and sells the props in his chest shop. Someone takes that as being IC, despite that brew being only sold IC in Queensport. That was moreso my point. It's a prop yes, but it's the point of origin that I'm wondering why bother with doing brewery at all. Rather than just take a potion and rename it on an anvil yourself to make it more exclusive.
This seems to be right. Enforcement of exclusive recipes needs to have some teeth, and that's why I suggest brewing somebody else's exclusive drink for ic purposes or sale is meta/powergaming, which isn't allowed anyway. We need an exclusivity system, cooperation among brewers, and consumers who are aware of how it works. Without these things, its better to rename potions with an anvil to get exclusive props, with the exception that other people can do the same thing, call it the same thing, and sell at a market stall in Storm's Landing.

A little regulation here will go a long way, as it seems better than both alternatives.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
You could theoretically do the same thing and say “hey this is X drink” regardless, though. You can do that in two capacities, even. Either “my character figured it out” or “my character smacks that name onto something else”.

The idea of exclusivity is trying to push aside the practice of people trying to imitate or figure out the recipes of competitors regardless. You take that option away entirely solely because there’s an OOC barrier saying “even though there is nothing stopping you, you can’t”.

You could theoretically do the same thing and say “hey this is X drink” regardless, though. You can do that in two capacities, even. Either “my character figured it out” or “my character smacks that name onto something else”.

The idea of exclusivity is trying to push aside the practice of people trying to imitate or figure out the recipes of competitors regardless. You take that option away entirely solely because there’s an OOC barrier saying “even though there is nothing stopping you, you can’t”.
Nah, I don't think that's her concern. I think the concern is stopping people who shouldn't know or have the resources to make it, but do anyway (meta/powergaming).

If somebody works hard and has the ic means and capability of figuring out a competitors recipe, they still don't get to call it the same thing. I can't legally figure out coke's recipe and sell a product named coke. I can figure out a very similar recipe and call it Bill's cola. But the makers of competitive products, like pepsi, have the knowledge and resources to make a coke like product. So if somebody figures out queensport brew, and does so ic, they can make a similar product. But making the same thing and calling it the same thing is against the rules ic, just like it is against the law irl. There would be ic consequences if caught, just like counterfeiting. If not legitimately sourced, there would be meta/powergaming violations. There is a real concern for confusion of the source of props, and the rules should protect and incentivize people who make the products legitimately. Thus, my opinion is legit ic counterfeiting should only be attempted with the distinct understanding of ic consequences.

This goes back to my dont be a dick comment, though. Why would we counterfeit if we have the resources already to make our own distinct product.

Raal

Media Gal
Legend
Raalvara
Raalvara
Legend
Hey everyone. I understand the comments made.

The Brewery Plugin does not have the capabilities to make a drink specifically exclusive. There is always a chance that if someone has the recipe to a custom drink, they can make it.

Here is the thing, though. The drinks that have been custom-made for people are difficulty to create and require precise accuracy. Best I can do is give you a recipe and hope that it doesn't get passed around.

Accuracy is actually a setting that I can configure within the plugin meaning that it would be particularly hard for anyone to reproduce the drink on a whim. In most cases, a person would have to experiment for hours to simply come across a drink.

If you want to use Brewery as a profession, I can discuss writing a mix of ingredients that would make it more difficult for a player to comes across.

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
Oh boy, excited to get brewing again. Makes me wish Ced didn't go all inactive...

Hey everyone. I understand the comments made.

The Brewery Plugin does not have the capabilities to make a drink specifically exclusive. There is always a chance that if someone has the recipe to a custom drink, they can make it.

Here is the thing, though. The drinks that have been custom-made for people are difficulty to create and require precise accuracy. Best I can do is give you a recipe and hope that it doesn't get passed around.

Accuracy is actually a setting that I can configure within the plugin meaning that it would be particularly hard for anyone to reproduce the drink on a whim. In most cases, a person would have to experiment for hours to simply come across a drink.

If you want to use Brewery as a profession, I can discuss writing a mix of ingredients that would make it more difficult for a player to comes across.
Will we see a formal system that tracks legit brewers and custom brews, like I have suggested?

I do not understand why some professions get protections and regulations, but others are a free for all.

However, out of respect for staff I am taking this to private conversation.

Raal

Media Gal
Legend
Raalvara
Raalvara
Legend
Alright. Here is what I may do. I am going to make a second thread to gauge interest so I know the scale of interest and how Brewery is actually used.

For now, the new set of drinks I have written are under an experimental phase.

We are going to be trying some new things with the plugin.

For now, I ask for you guys to have some faith in me. I will give Brewery the attention it deserves. :)