Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Inquisition and Associated Persons

blargtheawesome

... is very scientifical.
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff

It is not the place of a knight to pass the sentence, it is the place of a knight to be the sword that delivers it.​

blargtheawesome

Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff

The Inquisition of St. Jacqueline is an organization which has three self-imposed mandates.​

The first is to find sources of heretical and illegal magic.
The second is to capture and contain artifacts which are the source of it.
The third is to arrest, try, and exact judgement upon those who spread, or risk spreading, black magic and dangerous ideas.

To execute these three duties safely, the inquisition requires men and women who are not necessarily brave, not necessarily of great intellect, but who are extremely obedient. The orthodoxy of the inquisition discourages individual members to make their own judgements on religious teachings. The Inheritor is there to provide moral guidance on what should and should not be done, individual members are generally not to make an evaluative judgement on individual heretics or their artifacts.

This severely raises the bar for those the inquisition can consider for recruitment. It is inherently contradictory to find people who are capable of taking the initiative, and who do not form opinions on the tasks they are given. It is further hampered by the necessity that those who become inquisitors will be asked to spy on their neighbors, their rulers, their subjects, even themselves and their closest companions. This virtually rules out the possibility of anyone not from a kingdom sponsoring the inquisition from joining, for fear of the former citizen now spying on their masters.

Thus, the inquisition is lowering its standards for recruitment, and expanding its personnel. Associated persons who are not bound by oaths as stringent as those of the inquisitors will now be welcome into their ranks.

Last edited:

blargtheawesome

Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
AUXILLARIES
Some elements of the inquisition will be there as support to the main contingent of inquisitors. Whether they serve a role as experts or levies, auxiliaries are valuable to the cause of the inquisition. There are too few full inquisitors to fill out a shield wall, or search an entire city. Auxiliaries are likely to have individualized duties, but they will each be bound by the same oaths.

I will bring all my strength and skill to bear when called upon to serve the inquisition, and will answer their call to serve if I am able.
I will obey the commands of inquisitors, without hesitation and without refusal.
I will not speak on matters of the inquisition with those who are not themselves inquisitors.
I will hold true to these oaths, from now until such a time as I have arranged in the Book of Oaths.

QUESTOR
There are those who do not serve the inquisition directly, but who have goals sufficiently aligned that the inquisition seeks to support them. Questors may petition the inquisition for acknowledgement, the inquisition may impose this position on them, or it may be offered. Questors may have any manner of goal. They could swear themselves to eradicate all evil, or they may swear that they shall guard a strategic pass against all with evil in their heart. Whatever it is, the inquisition permits it.

This does not mean they are exempt from swearing and being bound to certain oaths, however.

I will hold my duties, recorded in the Book of Oaths, highest above all.
I will heed the counsel of inquisitors, that I may be aided in fulfillment of my quest.
I will not speak on matters of the inquisition with those who are not themselves inquisitors.

CONDEMNED
Some who have come under the scrutiny of the inquisition nevertheless are not executed, but are also not let off entirely freely. This is often imposed on those who have committed crimes of idealism in the eyes of the inquisition. Honest, compliant, but who nevertheless nearly wrought great heresy or disaster. Condemned have their confessions written into the Book of Oaths. Condemned may be freed of their status by fiat of the Inheritor, when it has been judged that they have sufficiently repented or are of no further use to the inquisition.

Condemned are expected to swear certain oaths as part of their sentence.

I will on threat of my sentence being worsened obey the commands of the Inheritor and his rightful envoys.
I shall heed the counsel of inquisitors, who I shall permit to review my work to ensure it is not heretical.
If I am called upon by an inquisitor, I shall heed their call and obey their commands.

Last edited:

blargtheawesome

Events Staff
Lore Staff
Staff
Notes and Clarifications

For Inquisitors, Auxillaries and Questors knighthood is taken into account. As such, their proper title is appended as Knight-Inquisitor, Knight-Auxilia, and Knight-Questor respectively.

Inquisitors are expected to be loyal solely to the inquisition and the church it is integrated within. However, none of the other associated people are required to even be members of the church or worship the same deities.

The inquisition considers Ignis Synnove to be the highest deity. However, it also considers Valiant, Korog, and The Grey Lady to be nearly as high in esteem. The only worshippers that the inquisition would not consider even for the ranks of the Condemned are those of Jishrim.
As part of this orthodoxy, it can be broadly categorized that the inquisition is an organization which believes in law as the single highest moral pursuit. Belief in law, duty, obedience, and truth as virtues are precursors to being considered for the inquisition.​

Last edited: