Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

The Tower of Archaz (Review)

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
This is a thread in which I would like some feedback from all who attended. I hope I placed the thread in the right section of the forum. I think if we give review to the event, the staff and other people might be able to use some points that were good or less good to get upcoming events to be even better! Also it gives an indication on what people liked from the event and what they surely want to see again. Also you can just state: "It was cool" or "it was boring".

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
This was the last big event I will ever be hosting. The last one in line with The Dwarves of Auld, The Maze of Archaz, The Garden of Games... This is why I want to reflect on it and explain why I'm satisfied with how it went.

If I would critically reflect on my event, the organisation part.:
I think I've claimed enough plots and made the event scenery big enough for the amount of people I was hoping to attract with it. In the end, there were quite a lot of people attending the event, which made me feel really happy. I was already feeling like there was a chance that I'd be hosting this event for only 3 others, which was not the initial set-up of the event. The problem that I faced with this amount of people though, was that sometimes signs were unreadable because of the crowd around it. Next time, it's better to hang signs on a 3 high block or higher, so that people do not stand in front of it.
I've also done everything that was needed within time before the event started.
I think adding dirt blockades in doorways from floor to floor was a good idea to keep everyone together, without having to keep calling them.

Now to go through the event from start till end, leaving ones out that aren't necessary to talk about:
The way to the tower: Well... at first I was a bit hyped about the fact that we were subject to bandits slaughtering us while we were making way to the event location. But then I thought about it differently: that we were adventurers and the journey was part of the event. But then it would have been nice if the pvpers were also roleplaying and rping a fight or a raid, then we could try and bribe them. But it didn't happen. It went ooc, and after michcat tped the people back to the tower, I was relieved that this incident did not break the event.
Perhaps in the future it would be better, if you'd ask me, that events make the exception of pvp in the sorrows, unless it's part of the event. But that's only my opinion.

The parkour: It was maybe a little bit too hard, but that made it also a bit fun. I must say, without staff help to teleport people to the next level if they really couldn't make it, the event would have been less successful. It is also good to remember to bring a block or a few with you to place along the parkour at places where it gets too hard. This will help people not to get /too/ frustrated after falling at the same spot 5 times in a row.

The top of the tower: levers: I'm glad people were able to switch levers. I was afraid I would have to allow everyone in the plots, which would be a pain to do. This went smooth enough.

Next room: Explanation on signs and first key. There were so many people joining that it took a while before we all read the signs on the wall. The chest could be opened if I granted someone access to the chunk. I had to keep the keys myself, to prevent one getting lost at internet break down or leaving of someone that was holding a key.

The dark maze: this one drove people MAD! which was the initial idea. You are totally clueless and helpless once you get stuck. It's like being blind and unable to hear or feel either. Once again, the tp's were a necessity for the event to run smoothly.

The Beast Fighting-roleplay: This went quite smooth as well. People automatically started plotting how to defeat the demon and its minions. It would have been good if I mentioned more specific that it was to be a roleplay fight and not to be the first to run to the horn of the demon.

The large maze and riddles / questions to be answered: I think the maze was a bit less annoying than the black maze and more appreciated. The riddles were in my view a new challenge to most and it offered the challenge of thinking instead of running fast with god armor and fire resistance :p

The 'garden' / jungle: Here was a big mistake: I left trapdoors, thinking they would not be able to open them. The trapdoors were opened and the attendants flocked down into the caverns below, while the idea was to first find the last key, open the door to the outside of the tower and at the same time to the path to the treasure. The adventurers then had to choose where to go and we would all go together to the treasure.

The path to the treasure: Once more a mistake: I forgot to lock down the cavern paths that weren't leading to the treasure. Not blocking them meant a possibility for people to get lost and miss the treasure.

The treasure itself: I think I reasonably equally distributed the treasure over the players, which was all the loot I found in caverns below the plots, which was quite a lot +17 diamonds from my own stock.

All in all:
I enjoyed preparing my event. It was all with legitimate acquired blocks and I enjoyed my time building and plotting the traps, riddles, floors and story-line. I am very glad with the amount of people showing up and the way they acted during the event. @spagbog in particular is an incredibly funny dwarf and the rest was very patient and also eager to continue the event till the end. I am satisfied with the last big event I will host and hope that I have inspired others to do the same. In time, I hope to join their events as an attendant not knowing anything about what awaits me. Thank you all very much!

Last edited:

spagbog

Lord of Altera
As you know, Pirate, I enjoy your events immensely and have been on two of your big ones - Dwarves of Auld and this one - plus the potion brewing challenge. I really hope you don't stop making events because they are always extremely well thought out, with a good level of challenge and intrigue dotted around. Here are some of my thoughts on the different sections:

Journey:
I thought the journey started off the adventure extremely well. Travelling through the night, bashing skeletons skulls in with a stick, being attacked by bandits and almost drowning after the rather buggy boats crashed added an atmosphere of nervousness and excitement to the event right from the start. There were times when I was genuinely scared, especially when Dummy attacked. I disagree that RP would've been bette with Dummy, because getting attacked right out of the blue was terrifying, which I think added to the adventure.

The Parkour:
I did find the Parkour quite tedious, especially with the large crowds. I kept trying to RP it, but eventually I gave up, which is a pity. It was, however, very satisfying when you finally reach the top and it really felt like you accomplished something. Also, I'm not a fan of Parkour anyway, so keep that mind.

Inside the tower:
First of all, as we waited at the top of the tower, people began discussing and debating, which made us all feel like a group, eager than a load of different adventurers who just happened to be there. Once we were inside the tower, I loved the intrigue of all th signs and messages. I think the signs were a little had to read, but I usually arrived either before the crowd or after, so I didn't have much of a trouble with that.
The mazes were incredibly hard, especially the dark one. Not only was I blind and lost, but I knew that other people had made I out, which somehow made it worse :p

The Demon Fight:
This was one of the best parts of the adventure, in my opinion. We gathered our troops, formed a plan and rushed in, some of us (cough me cough) wearing nothing but a cloth shirt, a pair of leather trousers and a purple hat, bashing minions with a piece of broken boat and yelling obscenities at the netherspawn. I could imagine the writhing, tentacled demon even with the limitations of Minecraft and it was brilliant.

The bottom of the tower:
I, rather smugly, entered the second maze with gusto, as I knew what to do. Always keep one hand on the right hand wall. I couldn't do it in the dark maze, because I couldn't see either my hand nor the wall, but this one would be easy. And then I fell down a hole and was trapped. Waiting for my fellow adventurers to come and rescue me, while listening to them answer questions (especially when Athryl (@IceandFire ) was stuck with me) was honestly quite scary. Then, some more Parkour, which I enjoyed more because it was a lot easier.

The garden:
I didn't enjoy the garden part very much, as it felt disjointed and chaotic. It was a large room with no clear path or even guides and I feel quite a bit of blockading could have been done, especially in the caves. Other than that, the garden wrapped up the story very nicely and have us all some loot, so that's always good.

Overall, I think the adventure went very well, balancing difficulty very well while still managing to get a good level of RP and story in. It was extremely creative, intuitive and very well guided, otherwise it may have fallen into shambles. @Michcat was invaluable, so thank you very much for that. Overall, I would give this event a 10/10. It was immensely fun and I enjoyed every last minute!

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
thank you for this well-written review @spagbog ! Thanks a lot, reviews like this make me go: "Oh perhaps I should just... 1 more big event.. just 1? hmm" *ponders*

Redworrior83

Legend of Altera
It was great pirate. I agree with Spag immensely. Throughout the entire adventure I was on edge, expecting another attack from dummy :p And the fight with the Netherspawn was even better. I could jut imagine my character sneaking around the minions to climb the beast and chop off its horn :) The garden was a bit chaotic though, as people just went straight to the trapdoors, ignoring any additions you had there (Like the exit).