Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Tybalt's Theories of Combat RP and Related Subjects

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
Core Basics of Combat RP.png
Aight, so to begin with, the purpose of this thread is to help people who wants to get into combat RP understand more about how to make a solid emote that is clearly conveyed to others. And to familiarize them with weapons and armor they will be seeing in the combat Setting. The other purpose is to have a place to present my thoughts on the physics of certain scenarios, dispelling myths, and to voice my theories and present facts on topics such as the Battle of Agincourt, and the Arms Race throughout History and what advances they brought to the Art of Warfare.

Parts of the Longsword
Long Sword Parts.png

• Pommel The weight at the end of the hilt, used to balance the sword but also can be used as weapon.

• Handle The handle should be long enough for both hands to fit comfortable, with some space between the hands.

• Crossguard/Quillions Protects the hands and allows for catching opponent's blades and keeping them there.
  • Strong (forte) The lower portion of the sword, which is thick and good at defense, but lacks offensive power such as cutting.
  • Middle The middle of the sword, where binds often occur. Not to say Binds cannot occur elsewhere on the two blades, but it is the point where both parties are of equal advantage in the bind.
  • Weak (foible) The upper portion of the sword, which is tapered and meant for thrusting and cutting, but lacks defensive power. This area of the sword is also known as the tip or point.

• True Edge The edge of the blade aligned with the knuckles.
  • False Edge The edge of the blade aligned with the nails of the fingers.
The Concept of Leverage
Leverage is basically, how much control you have over the other persons blade and your own.
The closer to your hands you get, the more control your blade has over a bind, while the further out the less control you have. So when you push with the base of your blade against the end of theirs, you can push it aside with ease, while they can push against yours all day long, and they will not be able to budge it.

What to focus on when emoting.
I find that when emoting, there are five parts to describe to give your RP partner a clear picture of your emotes
  • The Movement of your legs
  • The Movement of your hands
  • The Movement of your weapon
  • The Forces and reason why such forces effect an emote
  • Your intended Outcome
Position can be another word for Movement
Example of a Strong Emote
Window Guard.png

This Example will start from the Picture in the Right frame, it is called the Window Guard.

Starting Stance
*Tybalt stands, with his left foot leading, his right foot behind at an angle, he grips his Longsword with his right hand slipped up to the crossguard, left hand on the pommel, holding the hilt of his blade at the right side of his head, the point of his blade directed at his opponent at eye-level*

Some may say this is overly complicated, but it was all basic descriptions of the important moving parts of the body when fighting. This is done so my opponent can easily picture in his or her mind, what my character is doing, and it will be easier for them to react. Remember, most confusion in fights is caused by lack of description, and the lack of understanding of what your RP partner is emoting.

Now, in this next instance, Tybalt will react to someone making a thrust at Tybalt's face.

Example Emote
*Tybalt Passes his right foot forwards (The Movement of your legs) simultaneously he moves with his hands, his hilt from the right side of his across the front of his face to the left (The Movement of your hands) to intercept the end of his opponent's blade with the base of his own, catching it on his crossguard (The Movement of your weapon) moving it easily aside due to having greater leverage (The Forces and reason why such forces effect an emote) (catching the blade should be enough to explain The leverage, but sometimes your facing someone who isn't familiar with it.) thrusting forwards his blade into his opponent's face. (Your intended Outcome)

Note: For knowledge, this sequence is called Exchanging the Thrust, where you exchange their thrust for yours.

I hope someone learned something from this thread. Have fun RPing Gents n' Ladies, more is to come in the reserved posts below~

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
BTW, if you're bad at combat rp / really don't like it, don't use swords.

Swords are probably the hardest thing to use imo.

If you don't like my comment / think it's unwarranted and want me to delete it just let me know, Tybalt. Your thread.

Tybalt

Lord of Altera
BTW, if you're bad at combat rp / really don't like it, don't use swords.

Swords are probably the hardest thing to use imo.

If you don't like my comment / think it's unwarranted and want me to delete it just let me know, Tybalt. Your thread.
Nah, your cool. Spears are the easiest to learn.