Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Unity and C# - The source of my absence.

KhajiitOnFire

I think I might like it here
I'll be absent for a while, and my participation on the server may be limited to events that I'm made aware of, depending on time and interest. In the mean time, I've taken up the challenge of learning C# and working with Unity.

My goal for December 25th 2015, is to have an early alpha, turn based, 4x (Explore, Expand, Exploit & Exterminate) isometric strategy game, based on the d20 system. The game itself is drawing liberally from concepts in the DnD 3.5 Miniatures handbook, but is not likely to carry over anything specific to DnD. Regardless, I hope to carry over the spirit of the game, and provide it free to play.

My end of 2015 goals are as follows.
  • Standard fantasy races as playable factions.
  • Race specific classes for units with tech tree upgrades.
  • Multiplayer via lan, allowing for play via virtual lan programs. (Servers cost money, yo)
  • Leveling system for units and the player.
  • Multi-level terrain.
  • Fog of War
  • Camera rotation
  • Limited multi-classing (Yes, I know this may upset some of the munchkin min/max builders out there)
  • General and Race specific tech trees, allowing for better buildings, units, and unlocking additional classes for the Units and Player.
The premise is this: You are a Marshal of your race. As a Marshal, you have a direct influence on your forces and may affect the tide of battle through the skills, feats and upgrades you invest in. Your units will level up through experience in combat, or doing a particular job. You as the player, will level up with experience gained through research and development. At a certain level (5) you may select a limited number of units (3 per player's level) to become Generals, who will then be able to level beyond the standard unit level cap, and multi-class up to level 10 (up to 5 times in total) ... assuming they survive that long. As the player, you will be able to multi-class as well, to expand upon your abilities, or choose to level with the same class, up to level 10.
The basic breakdown of levels is this. Each player level, is equal to 5 levels in a class. Each unit level, is equal to 2 levels, meaning at the end of progression, if they survive, they would effectively be a level 10 fighter/rogue/whatever. Each General level will be equal to 10. What this means is, Standard units, as stated, will cap out, as effectively level 10 characters, if they were ported over to a traditional pen and paper d20 rpg. Generals would cap out, effectively, as level 50 characters, and players will cap out effectively as level 50 characters.

Middle of 2016 goals:
  • Beta release on PC.
  • Alpha release on Android and iOS
  • "Kitten" cheat code, allowing player to unlock a playable Kitten race and wreck havoc with catnip mice and balls of yarn.

The road leading to this, admittedly challenging project with an Eve Online Learning Cliff, will involve a great deal of playing with scripting, platform specific features (Pinch to zoom, on touch), getting a grip on physics, and learning some graphics tomfoolery. I'm not of the mindset that I can start this right away - at least not the programming aspect - and estimate that, at my current work/study flow, I will be beginning this by the end of February. My reason for choosing something as challenging as this, is quite simply, to push myself as hard as I can. Let's call it a Self Induced Coding Boot Camp. S.I.C.B.C. ... I like that as an acronym.