Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Wake's Bookwriting Guide

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
How to Write Books:

Pick up a book and quill and start writing!

You should not run into any issues. In fact, if you use Conquest, you can fit more words into a book than vanilla! Same with signs!
If you begin writing, do plan ahead! A title page, index, source page or even differing chapters can spice up the tome.

Currently on the server, writing books with a book and quill is a bit of a battle.

If you simply pick up a book and quill, write an entire book, you may believe there are no issues-- until you publish the book using the "publish" button. Especially on Conquest texture pack where you can fit more words into a page, you will find that the bottom of the page has, most likely, deleted itself.

To avoid this, when writing a book, here is what I do:

1) Write out a page.
2) Publish the book.
3) Use the command '/book unsign.'
4) See what words at the bottom publishing has deleted, fix within the revealed word limit, move on to the next page.
5) Repeat.

This is the simple way of writing books currently. Page by page. It will become very time consuming, especially when you reach high page numbers, having to flick through the book constantly.

Colours and Formatting:

To enter a colour or a font, use the & icon before the designated number or letter for a colour. They are below, copied from here.

§0 - Black
§1 - Dark Blue
§2 - Dark Green
§3 - Dark Aqua
§4 - Dark Red
§5 - Dark Purple
§6 - Gold
§7 - Grey
§8 - Dark Grey
§9 - Blue
§a - Green
§b - Aqua
§c - Salmon
§d - Pink
§e - Yellow
§f - White (invisible)

§k - Demonic Text (please leave for events)
§l - Bold
§m - Strikethrough
§n - Underline
§o - Italics
§r - Reset

The colour or font will not show up until you publish the book.
More reason to follow the first step of this page and go step by step.

It is important to use the reset (&r) after everything you write.
If you do not, the book will make the entire page coloured or fonted upon publishing. This will make your book and quill more likely to close your client in an error if you click over the word limit.
Here is an example of a title formatting:

§4§l&§Lana's Guide§r

Finish the page, publish, correct any errors (you can click anywhere on the page and use space or backspace to move words around) and continue to the next page.

Why not use Google Documents or Write on the Forums?

You could.
However, if you wish the book to be in-game, you will eventually need to copy and paste everything into the book- thus run into the same problems. It is more rewarding to hold a finished book in your hand in-game, for that book will continue to live on throughout the server's history. We have books as old as 2012 thanks to the efforts of Bartooliinii whom copy and pasted the book plugin books into book and quills when added to Minecraft. Whilst not all have survived to 2021, you can be assured your book will remain, especially if you sell many copies or donate to libraries.
Links may not have such safety of time.

Should you opt to write your book online, however, I recommend using the forums.
Lady Ashna's Book of Meaning is a book you can find in-game which simply has a link to its forum page. This works better than a google document, for it is more publicly accessable to the community.

My book and quill keeps closing my game!

You may havegone over the word limit using formatting/colours and clicking your cursor on the letter/space above the word limit.
You may also have simply written too much.

The best way to fix this is by deleting words slowly from the top of the page, should you wish to fix it. To avoid this issue, remember to use &r after using colours and formatting to not flood the entire page with colour or formatting. Formatting makes the book look nice, but you are limited in how much you can do per page.

Do not click the bottom of the page, essentially.

Sometimes when changing page, your cursor will automatically highlight all the text and, as a result, go over the word limit- crashing you. To avoid this, I aim my cursor at the bottom of the arrow.

Hope this thread helps!

Last edited:

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Bad news

Attempting to write a 100 page book on the history of every language of Altera
(which I have found cannot fit into a 100 page book), I have found that pages now corrupt themselves. A perfectly good page within the word limit begins deleting words anyway the more pages I make, the more I sign and unsign the book. These corrupted pages cannot be fixed nor edited, for attempting to click on unfinished words immediately crashes the client. This glitch is not simply on pages with coding, but also on pages without colours or fonts.

Not to mention the constant crashes the more pages you have, for memory reasons.

The more we write, the more time we invest, it seems the more troubles we have writing-- the more we lose.
Almost every book written now will have unfinished words and letters at the bottoms of pages. This has been consistant with every new book, for the most recent books written by Fronslin Celestea and Gloonkey respectively have missing words at the bottom, no matter how much they attempt to prevent this. It is unfortunate and saddening to have such effort squandered by poor Mojang coding, preventing us from making books.

The Vyre book, the Sallana book and the Storms Sickness books were very good by the way, thank you for them :heart:

Looking into this for solutions, I messaged a dedicated Minecraft book publisher whom works on a server library-- a MC server dedicated solely to writing books and nothing else. Unfortunately, he stated to me that updating to 1.15.2 will ruin books, for the library servers are still stuck on earlier versions due to Mojang removing the book limits. There is no solution to our problems.

Lannis tagging you so if anyone asks you about why this is happening, you can send them this theory =)

Fronslin

Based on what?
Retired Staff
Fronslin
Fronslin
Good
Oh my, This is quite alarming, Should we look into a doc solution? What should be done?

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Oh my, This is quite alarming, Should we look into a doc solution? What should be done?
Why not use Google Documents or Write on the Forums?

You could. However, if you wish the book to be in-game, you will eventually need to copy and paste everything into the book- thus run into the same problems. It is more rewarding to hold a finished book in your hand in-game, for that book will continue to live on throughout the server's history. We have books as old as 2012 thanks to the efforts of Bartooliinii whom copy and pasted the book plugin books into book and quills when added to Minecraft. Whilst not all have survived to 2021, you can be assured your book will remain, especially if you sell many copies or donate to libraries.
Links may not have such safety of time.

Should you opt to write your book online, however, I recommend using the forums.
Lady Ashna's Book of Meaning is a book you can find in-game which simply has a link to its forum page. This works better than a google document, for it is more publicly accessable to the community.

I am Wake

The Rose
Legend
Retired Staff
I_am_Wake
I_am_Wake
Legend
Updated this thread with the § symbol and good news!

The tyranical 1.15.2 bug that deletes your work and makes writing pointless is now gone!
You can write to your hearts content, code however much colours or fonts as you want! Its all perfect now!

Happy writing :D