Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

A Brief History of the Lands of Arctois

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
A Brief History of the Lands of Arctois

Arctois is a realm found in the Northern Realms of the Eastern Kingdoms, lying between the Marien mountains to the West and the Ostweg mountain pass to the East. Its neighbours are Kaltstaat to the North and Barental to the West. When the peoples of the Northern Kingdom first landed upon the shores of the Eastern Kingdoms of Gottesmere, the lands of Arctois (then known as Reichstaat) were settled by the Houses of Hallon, Bayard and Eberhall. In more recent years, these lands have been settled entirely anew by the Houses Courtnay and Flanders.

] Haven [
House Hallon settled the Marien Mountains by raising the fortress hold of Marienburg to act first and foremost as a residence of the Imperial Family, with the focus of Peter I being largely that of constant tours throughout the realm. Due to unforeseen complications and strokes of ill fortune, the Castle of Marienburg only saw its completion a mere few months before the death of Peter I at the hands of Kieran of Arduin and subsequent dissolution of Empire. The Castle was inherited by right of succession by Arthur Hallon, later Crowned as Audwine I, only to be abandoned before his official coronation as successor as King of Reichstaat.
House Courtnay assumed the stewardship and rule of Marienburg in the absence of a Hallon ruler, with Maceo de Courtnay (known posthumously as Mathieu) restoring its castle and township under the new name of Haven. It was under the rulership of Mathieu I that Haven was seen as the centre of faith for Ignis Synnove and eventually coalesced with nearby neighbour; Bayard of Thorne, to become the Holy Dual Duchy of Artois. When Arthur Hallon returned with dreams of a restored Empire, reclaiming Marienburg was fresh upon his mind. However, an agreement was made, that in exchange for fealty and the crowning of Audwine Hallon as Emperor of Anhald, Mathieu would be spared consequence and granted the lands of Haven in the eyes of Anhalder law. So it was, that Haven became recognised as the centre of Imperial Faith also. Upon the death of Mathieu I, the lordship of Haven and its ducal titles would be held by Podric Flanders as regent to the Courtnay heir; Mathieu II.
Eventally, when the Lord Mathieu II of Courtnay came of age, the call of Empire was heard from the Kaltreich. Once more, Haven fell under the rule of an Anhalder Empire. However, during the Hardanger uprising of the Kaltstaat, Mathieu II rose in revolt alongside the Hardangers in order to secure more freedoms and favourable terms of vassalage. To ensure the sanctity of Haven remained in the hands of the faithful should the revolt prove unfavourable to Courtnay, Mathieu granted all lands and titles of Marienburg to the Church of Artois. Upon his return to the faith of Ignis Synnove, Mathieu II was granted the lands of Haven by the Church of Artois' Pontifex Maximus; Podric Flanders, in exchange for continued faith and piety to Ignis Synnove. The lands of the Marien Mountains were then held in temple vassalage to the Holy See of Artois, separate from the Courtnay lands under the Kaltreich.

] Thorne [
House Bayard settled the Midgrat Mountains by raising the fortress citadel of Thorne and its surrounding fields to shoulder the responsibility of feeding the larger Empire. During the reign of Peter I, the fields of Thorne were expected to feed the Empire, but fell short of their levy for multiple years in a row. In response, a parcel of land belonging to Bayard were stripped and granted to their Northern neighbours; Eberhall. When Peter I fell, Henri Bayard named Thorne and its surrounding county to be a free Imperial Holding, with no overlord but the Imperator; Aleksandr Hallon. With the subsequent dissolution of Empire at the hands of the Kane regency, Thorne was truly independent for many years before coalescing into the Holy Duchy of Artois with their newfound neighbour of Courtnay to the West. When Bayard fell without issue, the Lands and Lordship of Thorne fell to the Holy See of Artois. Whereupon they were immediately granted to reigning Pontifex Podric Flanders. During this time, Thorne has been subject to many terror attacks perpetrated by those of the Jishrim faith, but the efforts of Podric Flanders are unceasing in finding justice and rebuilding the stability of the land issued to him.

] Eberlands [
House Eberhall settled the Norweg Mountains by raising the County of Eberbau in order to stand vigil over the Southern pass into the Kaltstaat, only to controversially expand into lands of their Southern neighbour, Bayard, by appealing to Imperial Authority in order to take on some responsibility for feeding the North to lessen the Kaltic reliance on Thorne. This expansion propelled the minor noble house into playing a vital part in the Kaltic economy. Despite frequent threats from wandering marauder bands, the Eberlands stood firm and unwavering. When the Empire fell, the Kaltic state rewarded their most loyal vassal with independance and an alliance of very favourable terms. It was in the wake of their newfound independance that alliances with the Duchy of Artois were made, that caused both regions to prosper as they grew the majority of the food in the entirety of the North. The decline of the Eberlands came with the death of Berndt Eberhall, who left their lands to his young son under the Regency of Courtnay. It was a Courtnay steward who took it as their right to not only manage the realm, but rule. Thus began the Eberhall revolt. Mikolaj Eberhall worked tirelessly with Mathieu de Courtnay II as his squire, but the dream of retaking the Eberlands would never be realised by the son of the Boar. Disillusioned with war after tragic losses, Mikolaj Eberhall faded from history. In honour of his mentor and friend, Mathieu de Courtnay took it upon himself to finish what Mikolaj had started. Using coin left behind by his father's inheritance, Mathieu rose an army of mercanaries to retake the Eberlands from the wayward steward d'Arras. With Mikolaj nowhere to be found, Mathieu II assumed control of the realm by right of conquest.

Last edited:

BoredBrit

Bored Brit
BoredBritishGuy
BoredBritishGuy
Legend
Why am I posting this? Who knows, who cares. I had it written, it needed to be posted.