Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Battlefield 2: Project Reality

OfficerPoopFace

Lord of Altera
Hello guys,

Besides Minecraft, I'm really really addicted to this mod for the game called Battlefield 2. Some of you might know Battlefield 2 or atleast have heard of it, but there's also this mod for it called Project Reality. In order to play this mod you gotta have a legal version of Battlefield 2. (Which costs 5 euros in the local store).

BF2:pR is a mod based on realism, and thus they tried to make it as realistic as possible. Battlefield 2 itself is a nice fps shooter, but it's one big mess compared to this mod, and especially unorganized, talking about tactics.

To start with, this mod has three different gamemodes; AAS, Insurgency and skirmish. AAS is all about capturing areas, seizing areas and keeping control of them. Making sure that the enemy wont obtain control of it again. Each team has an amount of tickets on the start of the round, and everytime someone of your team dies, a ticket is being removed off your team. The same goes for the enemy. The one who loses all his tickets first, loses the round. Pretty fair, no?

Then we have insurgency mode. (My favourite). Insurgency gamemodes always have middle-eastern teams involved, such as Taliban. You get to play on a map which looks like existing cities or places in real life located in iraq or libia. Once the round starts, the insurgents spawn with primitive weapons, mostly AK47s or 74s. They can later choose to grab an RPG or HMG. When they spawn, two unknown weapon caches are scattered troughout the map. Your team (insurgents) can see those on the map as purple shield icons, but the enemy cannot. (The enemy is mostly USA or canadian forces in insurgency maps). And so the enemy's goal is to find those caches. They can either decided to clear the city and go look for the caches, or wait until the CIA finds out where they are located using the sattelite view and judging by the amount of insurgents on one location, the cache would be near them. (CIA are third party NPCs, you cannot actually play as CIA). Once a weapon cache is compromised, it will appear as a blue square on the map for the insurgents, and as a red square on the map for the USMC. Ofcourse the USMC always have their high-tec vehicles, and the insurgents have not.

The insurgency is more primitive than the americans, as they do not have such a developed technology as america has. Yet they have to defend the caches with their lives. However, the insurgency has no tickets, which means, unlimited respawning. The only way for the insurgents to lose the round is if the americans manage to destroy a minimum of eight weapon caches. The Americans however, do have tickets, so they gotta be really careful.

The insurgents are more primitive as already stated, so this is who you get to play when you play as insurgents ingame.

If you play on the american side, you get to play more like this:

There are several vehicles which america has and the insurgents do not. There are a few important basic rules on the entire project reality game, and most servers ban you for not following those rules. In this game, you can create squads, and there's a maximum of 9 squads. Both insurgents and USA can create squads. A squad can have a maximum of 6 players, including the squadleader. Only the squadleader can contact the commander, and there can only be one player the commander. The commander is also the only person who can maintain the UAV:

The most important rule on project reality is to make a squad or atleast join one, and then you stick to that squad for the rest of the game. (Preferably). This mostly goes for heavy assets, such as helicopters, tanks, strykers, APCs, amphibious vehicles, jets, etc etc. If you want to fly for example a jet, you gotta create a squad called "JET" and you stick to jet. If you get bored of operating the jet, you LAND the vehicle, you DO NOT CRASH it, because you get banned for that as it is not realistic, and people don't like it if you try to learn to fly on a public server, since all vehicles have a very LONG respawn time. A jet for example has a 30 minutes respawn time. So knowing how to fly is a must in project reality before operating them. Flying is way way harder than in the normal Battlefield 2, I can guarantee you that. And thus way more realistic. Once you got bored of flying the jet and you have successfully landed, and you want to go on foot to the objective instead of being close air support, you may want to join an infantry squad. They use VOIP (microphones) to operate fluently in the field. On your HUD down below you have a meter which indicates what degree the angle is you're currently looking at. This is a handy tool to tell your squadmates where the enemy is using VOIP. Spotting doesn't work like it used to in Battlefield 2. It's all manually. Also only squadleaders are capable of calling in heavy support. For example, you are with your squad including squadleader pinned down on a roof somewhere, taking cover behind one of the objects located on this roof because a hostile 50 caliber is suppressing you. What could the squadleader do? He could take his binoculars to indicate the distance between him and the vehicle.(you gotta set that distance manually by holding Q and selecting an option.) Once selected, you hold Q once again and call the support option you'd like. Which can be mortar fire burst, or the regular fire mission, mortar smoke screen, CAS support (rockets/bombs (CAS = close air support)) and some other fine tools. Also you are capable of requesting pickups and armor support using your radio. But now your squadleader choose for example CAS laser guided missile attack. He marked the target using his goggles by setting the distance between him and the target. The guy (not a computer, but someone else who chose to be flying the Kiowa helicopter that round), will be informed of this, and has to get to the market target as quickly as possible to support the squad in the field and firing a laser guided missile to the enemy vehicle in order to vanquish it. He will ALWAYS respond. If he is not, he will most likely be busy refuellling, repairing or restocking his ammunation of the vehicle. If he's AFK he will most likely get kicked, and someone else takes over his position.

This is just one example of the many possibillities in Project Reality. Also Project Reality is not a game where you rush and shoot, you gotta move trough the field in a tactical manner, keep your eyes open, and always be sure that you see a spot nearby which you can use to quickly take cover once you are being fired upon. Shooting is also really realistic. Once you got penetrated by a bullet, you're bleeding. Depending on where you got hit will determine wether you survive it or not. A shot in the head in instant death. Shot in the stomach or leg will disable you from sprinting and you're gonna have to call a medic in order to survive, and he can patch you up. Once you're critically wounded and totally unable to move, the medic will have to try to revive you using his epipen, if unsuccessful, then you wont survive it. Don't just rush trough the field, move tactical and with much cover as possible. Also try to keep each other's backs in firefights, it's really important in order to survive. In the video below (video which I personally recorded with two friends of mine) you can see how we try entering a city with the three of us, almost no other squads were able to support us there. You can't hear what we're saying since it's dutch though, but it's about the gameplay. Watch the official trailer below.

In the video below (video which I personally recorded with two friends of mine) you can see how we try entering a city with the three of us, almost no other squads were able to support us there. You can't hear what we're saying since it's dutch though, but it's about the gameplay. (Don't mind the start of the vid, my first intent was to record the effects of two helicopters taking off in Project Reality. The voices you hear aren't mine, they're the two friends accompanying me. You aren't able to hear my voice due to some inbound/outbound settings during the recordings.

Perhaps some of you might be interested in playing this game, but I assume most of you wont, since the majority of this community prefers fantasy games, and I understand that. Yet this might be a nice game to try out sometime. (The installation takes long though, it's quite a large game). If you're interested in playing sometime, PM me. The mod can be downloaded from www.realitymod.com.

Koerhuisje

Moderating the herps & derps
koerhuisje
koerhuisje
im more of Battlefield Bad Company 2..and soon Battlefield 3 :D!!! but it looks sweet i do say :D

Backstay

Lord of Altera
Tried it once, it was AWESOME. But the new patches came before i knew it. So i was like 4 patches behind, and i couldnt find them. So i deleted battlefield 2. Now i play on a ARMA 2 realism server instead. They are a bit better in my opinion. Also they are WAAAAAY more realistic. And people are doing WAAAAAY more teamwork.

Shadowsmalls

The Anime loving Brony
Tried it once, it was AWESOME. But the new patches came before i knew it. So i was like 4 patches behind, and i couldnt find them. So i deleted battlefield 2. Now i play on a ARMA 2 realism server instead. They are a bit better in my opinion. Also they are WAAAAAY more realistic. And people are doing WAAAAAY more teamwork.
Dude, learn to look at the date's of the posts before yours. I'm fed up with this happening with so many threads.
Locking this.

OfficerPoopFace

Lord of Altera
Thanks to the uknown mod who has unlocked this thread for me!

I'm curious if anyone still plays this, or if anyone is interested in trying this out?