Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Face Paint Traditions of The Strandir

Samiwashere

Soul stealer
Retired Staff
Samiwashere
Samiwashere
Legend
As one of the first clans to settle in the new world, the Strandir people have endured many winters and had plenty of time to grow and change as both a community and a people. As such, many new customs and traditions have formed, one such being the tradition of wearing face paint to mark certain occasions or life events.

━─━────༺༻────━─━
Colour

While a member of the Strandir may be seen wearing any colour, there are four that possess a stronger meaning.
Blue.png
Blue: A mark of the ruling family, this colour is worn primarily by the Chieftain, Chieftess and any other heads of the clan. When a baby is born, or a new member is brought into the family, they are christened with a single blue thumbprint upon their forehead as a mark of their belonging. While others are of course permitted to wear blue paint, it is considered inappropriate during ceremonies and formal gatherings.
Black.png

Black: This colour is most often worn during conflict and primarily by warriors and protectors, however non-fighters also wear it in times of war as a symbol of solidarity.

Red.png

Red: Red symbolises 'spilt blood' or mourning. It is worn by people who have lost someone dear to them. It is customary for all attendees of funeral processions in Strandir lands to wear at least some small amount of red face paint.

Green.png
Green: Theodra's tenets still run deep in the roots of Stoltfar, as do her followers. In the past, green was most often worn by her followers and, as such, it has become synonymous with faith and spiritualism in general.

━─━────༺༻────━─━
Pattern

Once more, some patterns hold little meaning to the clan at large, but there are a few that are significant.

Face 1.png
A swipe cross the eyes and nose
This pattern is used by someone who has intentions to fight, be it another person or a beast. It is a mark of a warrior, which is why it is often painted on in black. However, in cases of clan members lost by murder, grieving family members who seek revenge will often paint it on in red. Similarly, Theodrans may paint it on in green before a hunt.

Face 2.png
Straight lines down from the eyebrows
This is often painted on for ceremonies. It is worn for wedding days, funerals or during sermons.

Face 3.png
Tears
A symbol to be proud of, this is the pattern worn by someone who has done a great service to the people, and made sacrifices in some way to help them endure. The literal translation is 'the tears spared'. It is also worn in red by the widows and widowers of fallen warriors.

Face 4.png
A straight line over the lips
Like a promise ring, this is a mark of someone who has promised themselves to another. The line sits over the lips near the mouth to mean someone is quite literally 'spoken for'.

Samiwashere

Soul stealer
Retired Staff
Samiwashere
Samiwashere
Legend
This is still a WIP but it is something I have thought about and been passionate about for a long time so I wanted to get it down on paper, so to speak. I intend to add more patterns as more come up IC.

DISCLAIMER: While I absolutely do not even slightly try to imply that I am the first person to ever think of this in the whole world, I would like to make it clear that I did come up with these meanings completely on my own and did not conduct research into any real cultures or groups. I say this because I do not in any way want to offend people for whom this sort of thing has cultural significance. If anything here seems appropriated I promise it is purely coincidence and please let me know so I can amend.