Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Horse Breeds

mooseman7

Loyal Servant of Altera
Horse Breeds:

Thoroughbred:

Thoroughbreds are fine horses, known for their agility, speed, and spirit. These horses are considered hot-blooded, and are prized for racing and light cavalry usage. Thoroughbreds are usually regarded as the fastest breed of horse. They are most often bay, dark bay, brown, chestnut, black, or gray (Note: The coat description of "gray" often includes horses you may consider as being "white").

Quarter Horse:

Quarter Horses excel in the sprinting of short distances. They make excellent working ranch horses, and make for a trusty mount. Quarter Horses come in a variety of colors, including sorrel, bay, black, brown, buckskin, palomino, gray, and white.

Saddlebred:

Saddlebreds are known for their sense of presence and style. They are a spirited, yet gentle breed of horse in temperament. Saddlebreds are a gaited breed of horse, known for their racking gait. They can come in almost any color. The most common colors include chestnut, bay, brown, black, and gray.

Arabian:

Arabians are a fine breed of horse. They excel in endurance riding. Arabians are willing to please, quick to learn, and are good-natured. Arabians are hot-blooded horses with superior stamina. Arabians are bay, gray, chestnut, black, and roan.

Walking Horse:

Walking Horses are a gaited breed of horse developed for use on farms and plantations. Their smooth gait makes for a pleasant riding experience. They are known for the flat walk, running walk, and the rocking-chair canter. They have a calm disposition, smooth gaits, and sure-footedness. Common colors include bay, black, chestnut, and gray.

Hanoverian:

Hanoverians are a warm-blooded breed of horse. They make fine riding and carriage horses. Hanoverians are known for their good temperament, beauty, and grace. They are most often chestnut, bay, black, and gray.

Morgan:

Morgans are a fine breed of horse, used for a variety of purposes. They make good cavalry, coach, harness racing, and general riding horses. Morgans have a reputation for intelligence, courage, and good disposition. Morgan horses come in a variety of colors, including bay, black, and chestnut.

Andalusian:

Andalusian Horses are known for their prowess as a warhorse, and are often prized by nobility. An elegant and strongly built horse, Andalusians are intelligent and sensitive. Andalusian Horses are usually gray, bay, or black.

Paint horse:

Paints are a colorful breed of horse, with agreeable dispositions and good athletic ability. The Paint Horse has a particular combination of white and any color of the equine spectrum: black, bay, brown, roan, buckskin, dun, gray, grullo, perlino, smoky cream, chestnut, cremello, palomino, red dun, sorrel, or champagne. Markings can be any shape or size, and located virtually anywhere on the Paint's body. Paints’ coat patterns are also varied—Paint Horses are either overo, tobiano, tovero or solid.
Standardbred:

Standardbred horses are well known for their ability in harness racing at a trot or pace. They are solid horses, with good dispositions. Standardbreds are also used for driving, and riding. They are most often bay, brown or black, but can be some other colors.

Last edited:

mooseman7

Loyal Servant of Altera
Cleveland Bay Horse:

Cleveland Bays are known for there intelligence d willing disposition. They are medium-weight horses, and are heavier in build than most warmbloods. They are hardy, long-lived horses that measure anywhere from 16 to 16.2 hands. They are suitable for carriage, driving, and riding work. Cleveland Bays, are only bay in color.

Friesian:

Friesian horses make fine horses, very useful under saddle, as well as harness. Although their conformation resembles that of a light draft horse, they are quite graceful and nimble for their size. This size allows them to easily carry a full armored knight, making them fine war horses. Friesians are usually black in color, though they are occasionally chestnut.

Akhal-Teke:

Akhal-Tekes have a reputation for speed and endurance, intelligence, and a distinctive metallic sheen. They make fine riding horses. While Akhal-Tekes can be many colors, many are a golden color. This led to some referring to them as "golden horses".

Haflinger:

Haflinger horses are known for their hardiness. They are described as a well-muscled, yet elegant horse. Haflingers are used for light-draft, harness, and riding work. They are always chestnut in color.

Clydesdale:

Clydesdales are a large breed of draft horse. They are used for pulling work. Clydesdales are usually bay in color, but can also be roan, black, gray, and chestnut.

Shire Horse:

Shire Horses are a tall breed of draft horse. They are a work horse, used for plowing, and pulling mainly. Shire Horses are usually black, bay, or gray.

Welsh Pony and Cob:

Welsh Ponies and Cobs are known for their speed, good disposition, and even temperaments. The ponies are often used by Dwarves due to their small size. Cobs are bigger then ponies, but smaller then horses. The Welshes are a trustworthy and intelligent breed, with good stamina. They are commonly black, gray, chestnut, or bay. They can sometimes be piebald, or skewbald.

New Forest Pony:

New Forest Ponies are known for their hardiness, strength, and sure-footedness. They, as most ponies, are often used by Dwarves. New Forest Ponies are usually bay, chestnut, or gray.

Chincoteague Pony:

The Chincoteague pony comes from a specific herd of wild ponies. They can make good riding and driving ponies, and are known for being willing to learn and eager to please. They are also known for their
intelligence. Chincoteague ponies range in size from 12.2 hands to 14.2 hands, although some individuals are either larger or smaller than this. They also come in just about any color, although pinto markings are most common.
Here's a rough size comparison of a smaller pony, a standard size saddle horse, and a bigger draft horse.

Last edited:

Fronslin

Based on what?
Retired Staff
Fronslin
Fronslin
Good
Show a size comparison on the Clydesdale horses for what I know they are very very big

Gaby

Lord of Altera
this reminds me of my horse-loving friend.

she often looks at someone and wonders what breed of horse they would be.

EDIT: we're doing this pathfinder game together so she decides she wants to be a horserider, and the horse her horserider rides is an arabian/appaloosa mix, I believe.

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Friesian! I want to get my character one of them, but I think I would need to contact @Spear for that. Unless there are other characters who deal with horses?

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra
Good
So I'm just putting this out there (for the record, I love this because I love horses~), but horse breeds in RP are... squirrelly. A lot of these are named after locations or people in our world, and that doesn't really translate to Altera very well.

So if you're thinking of making your horse a particular breed, please use these as a base, and describe the horse, instead of saying they're "Arabian" or something. Thanks folks!

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
Friesian! I want to get my character one of them, but I think I would need to contact @Spear for that. Unless there are other characters who deal with horses?
S'alright im actually back around again now =L

Message me what your after stat/colour wise and I'll see what I can do