Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[In Development] A Hollow World Mary Sue Test

Do you like this test?

• Total voters

dogbew

Lord of Altera
Hollow World Mary Sue Test:

Blue Text is positive
Red Text is negative
Grey Text is neutral, neutral text’s normally have a positive and negative text below it, only choose one.

The system will work like a fictional number line, you starting at the 0 in the direct middle. Each negative trait you have, pushes you away from the 0 and each positive pushes you towards it. 0 would be the “Ideal” character, not too mary-sueish and not too anti-sue, yet straying from it a bit in either direction is not specifically a bad thing.

A lot of terms are used in this document, here are a few of them explained:
  • “Setting”- The setting of an RP is the exact place where it takes place, that being the town, city, or even continent. This is really up to you, choose the scale of setting that you find to be appropriate for the question and the situation.
  • “Normal”- The concept of normalcy is typically just what the average person in your situation in your setting (as referenced above)
Some Questions to ask yourself before you take the test:
  1. How does your character make money? Is he wealthy? Poor? How does he afford a home to sleep in or food to eat?
  2. How would you rank your character, class wise? Depending on where you live, certain characters would be a different class in city A than in city B. Obviously Kings and Queens would be the high class, but, for example your character may make up an oppressive bourgeoisie, he may live in the gutters of Crossroads and feed off of the scraps of food found on the ground.
  3. How would you rank your character's political views? Political views are an ever-changing mess of personal feelings and the events around you. Perhaps a catastrophic event happened (hopefully in roleplay, not written into your backstory) and it changed how you view a certain race, or a certain way of life. You'll notice that in life, a lot of people's political views change after they experience various things in life (War, death, great loss of a loved one), and while everyone may not react in the exact same way, everyone reacts somehow. (http://www.politicalcompass.org/ a good reference that, while not written by me, is fairly accurate if done through the perspective of your OC)
  4. If you have multiple characters, how do the characters differ from one another? It is a common error found in roleplay, where people simply play the same character with a different name every time. This is not particularly a bad thing, some people are virtually type cast (think of the kind of character Morgan Freeman plays in every movie) into a certain archetype of character; however changing it up can really help you gain skill in roleplay.
  5. Along with question four, how does your character differ from yourself? A "self insert" is a very common trope in not only fiction, but in roleplay. A good author and a good roleplayer knows how to add the perfect mix of your own characteristics and ones foreign to you to create a good character.
  6. What motivates your character? You'll always see sitcom's having their actors throw out the phrase "But what's my motivation?", yet that is a very good question. Some people are motivated by power, some by lust, some by greed, and even others by revenge; yet everyone has a motivation. Characters without a motivation are often times boring to play, they end up in a situation with nothing to do, and the player gets discouraged and doesn't roleplay as much. It is always important to have a proper motivation.

Back story
  • Comes from Broken Home (ie. Abused, Abandoned, Orphaned) [-5]
    • Broken Home is acceptable in the specific setting (For example, in Hollow World, perhaps your parents died in the Exodus, this would not be specifically your fault yet still happened) [+5]
    • Broken Home is not typical in the specific setting and is in fact, abnormal. [-5]
  • Comes from nobility [-6]
    • Family was once ruler of a kingdom located far beyond the limits of Altera, who have fallen from power (that your character must regain) [-1]
    • Was born into a noble family that exists in the realm of Altera, with appropiate resources to be considerd noble (ie. Political influence, owns a city, ext) [+6]
  • Parents dead
    • Parents murdered in tragic way [-5]
    • Character currently seeking revenge for dead parents [-2]
    • Parents died through “normal” means (Old Age, died in war, whatever makes sense) [+1]
    • Parents not dead (yet) [+3]
  • Gained specific skills through back story
    • Specific skills would require extensive training that was not roleplayed out in game [-5]
    • Specific skills would start out as basic skills and, through role play would develop to become actual skills. [+2]
  • Taller or Stronger than would be normal for the race [-4]
    • This is due to some form of gigantism and the character does not suffer any drawbacks from it [-2]
    • Character suffers appropriate drawbacks for his disability [+4]
  • Smaller or Weaker than would be normal for the race [-4]
    • This is due to some form of dwarfism and the character does not suffer any drawbacks from it [-2]
    • Character suffers appropriate drawbacks for his disability [+4]
  • Suffers from a physical disability that directly affects your day-to-day life.
  • Character has or will live longer than makes sense for the specific race [-10]
    • This is not out of place in the setting [+10]
    • This is out of place in the setting [-3]
Other Attributes-
  • Practices ideology that would be out of place for the time period [-5]
Skills-
  • Has skills that would be out of place for the time period (ie. Being a doctor with experience that, while common knowledge in today’s world would not be known in medieval times.) [-5]
  • This is entirely based off of your OOC knowledge, meaning that the knowledge was not gained through IC action. [-5]
  • Has skills that, while out of place in the time period, make sense in the specific role play setting (ie. Super Wizard thing, role play takes place in an area where this knowledge would be available) [+4]
Political Views-
  • Has a political view that is not typical of the time period (ie. Being a part of the far-left in a time, such as medieval times, left-leaning views are more or less unheard of) [-4]
  • Has a political view that fits in the time period [+1]
  • Has a mental disability that would affect your day-to-day life. [-5]
    • Said mental disability is not role played as a negative attribute [-1]
    • Said mental disability is not role played at all [-1]
    • Said mental disability is recognized as a mental disability in a time period in which i wouldn't make sense to know this. [-1]
    • Said mental disability is roleplayed out, with appropriate consequences [+4]
This post is mainly based off of a test i found a long time ago, called the "MarySue Test"; in fact i think i posted it here earlier. Looking back at the earlier post, one of the major problems with it was that we had people judging just themselves, yet when other people judged them it ended up being used for more personal attacks than helpful criticism. What i recommend with this test is to give it to yourself as honestly as possible, and have a close trusted friend give the test to you as well, comparing results when finished.
While the test is in "beta", i hope to get some feedback about how i could improve the test, what i could do better, get rid of or add in.

• 3/14/15- Added a "Questions" section, as well as a few new things to the "backstory" section. Rearranged the Questions section so that it would be above the test, as to flow better. Added "Motivations" to the "Questions" section

Last edited:

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend

Now to cease this heated digression, and redirect ourselves back to critical feedback, of which the original poster has explicitly expressed a desire for.

A thoroughly well done job, Dogbew, I quite enjoyed this one. What I like about this Mary Sue test compared to others posted on this forum afore, is its consideration for seemingly cliché aspects of a character that were in fact, developed through actual roleplay. Of course, it will require further elaboration and amendments to produce more accurate results (hence the "In Development" tag), but the platform that you have established is a fine one to build upon nonetheless.

Last edited:

Firegirl

Lord of Altera
  • Parents died through “normal” means (Old Age, died in war, whatever makes sense) [+1]
Woo! Point already!

Scardrac

Felsummer
I have a positive seventeen at this point. Dogbew, thank you for taking your time to sift through the other Mary Sue tests and finding what is or is not appropriate for the Hollow World setting.

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend
I like the questions that you added, they certainly do make one contemplate over their character. You should consider re-formatting the post so that the questions are the first section after the instructions, wherefore they would serve more as preliminaries. In this fashion, one would be incited into being more reflective from the very beginning, which is an appropriate mood for a Mary Sue test. I realize my criticisms are a bit meticulous but it's the little things that count after all. Good work.

dogbew

Lord of Altera
Updated, i took @FrostGuardian 's advice and moved the questions section, i as well added a new question of Motivations. I am accepting recommendations of questions to add, as well as points to add to the actual test portion.

Michcat

i'm the wench if you're the cake ;)
Ooh! I kinda want to just answer the 'questions' section for all my characters. This is lovely, dude ^^