Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Marcelo Scorpetti's Journal - "Little Truths"

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
The book you've happened across is a rather simple thing, being bound in black leather and yellowed parchment. It has a minimal amount of decoration across the front and back; little more than borders made from small lines of silver, and a title printed across the front. The title reads, "Little Truths," and is similarly marked onto the leather facing with silver. The spine has been worn considerably, as though a great deal of time has been spent on the methodical construction of the prose contained within. The first page contains simply the title, and a dedication:

"To my father, Marco Scorpetti, who I know still is watching me from above. I strive each day to be someone you can be proud of."

---

Preface

A brilliant man once told me to never write about yourself, but to instead be someone that others write of. I've tried to take that lesson to heart, and while the life of a merchant is generally something that is rarely recorded, I do believe that even someone like myself might be able to change the stars, should should there be enough drive and dedication to do so. So, instead of this journal being autobiographical in nature, I will instead write about the people I have met over the years, and explain lessons they have shared with me and how they have shaped me into the person I am today.

Being as I feel divinely inspired to write this, for any that come across this book, I do hope it inspires you as well to write about the lessons you've learned and experiences you've had with others. If nothing else, I pray that these stories teach you to look for the lesson in all experiences you may have. I do not believe in a thing as "random occurrence." The events in your life happen for a reason, and it is up to you to understand the meaning behind it, else you may miss out on some valuable information that would help you later on in life.

---

Entry 1 - The Captain and the Two Sailors

I once knew a captain of a merchant vessel. I spoke to him often, as his craft regularly transported goods from my town to other nations and back. One day, he asked me an intriguing question:

"I had two sailors under my command. One complained about the work he was given, but would finish the tasks assigned to him. The other sailor never said one ill word of the jobs he was ordered to do, but he never did the work. Which of these is the better man?"

I pondered the situation for some time, before deciding the first sailor, despite his complaining, was the better of the two choices. The salty captain shook his head and laughed.

"They're both equally useless! The complainer undermines my authority and causes others to complain and not work, while the other forces his work on the rest of the crew. They both have no place on my ship! I keel-hauled the complainer publicly, to reward his public insubordination, and the one who never did any work was quietly tossed overboard in the middle of the night, to reward his silent insubordination. The rest of the crew learned quickly to do their jobs correctly and without complaint. Remember, young merchant, to pay your debtors back in kind."

---

Entry 2 - The Jewelry Merchant and His Servants

I once knew a merchant that sold various jewelry. Being a fellow merchant, we spoke oft of the troubles relating to running such businesses. On one such conversation, he told me how he came to trust his servants:

"Whenever I obtain a new servant to help me with my work, the first thing I must do is find out whether or not I can trust him. To this end, I have created a certain scenario. I have the servant watch the back storage. In the back there is a glass case with a lock that doesn't work, and a large gem inside. I would take special care to tell him the gem is very valuable, and that he is to watch it carefully. Then I leave him alone for a few days.

When I return, if the gem is gone, I call the guard and have him arrested. If the servant doesn't report to me the lock is broken, he is cast out for his incompetence. If the servant does report the broken lock and the gem is untouched, then I will let him start helping with some small tasks, but I will continue to leave things out for him to steal - more chances for him to show his treacherous side.

The gem in the case, and the gems I leave out later are all made of cheap glass. I sacrifice little, and in doing so I prove my servants loyalty. You would do well to test your servants similarly, young merchant."

---

Entry 3 - The Beast Master and His Cages

I once knew a gentleman that dealt in animals both domestic and wild. He had a strange practice, in which instead of keeping all his animals in one location, he spread them out across the town. This kept the man busy, as he spent most of his days walking from one side of the city to another. Confused and intrigued, I struck up a conversation about why he didn't keep them all in one location:

"A competitor of mine used to house all his creatures in one large pen, separated enough just so they didn't kill each other while he was away. Indeed, things were more efficient. But he sold these animals for many different occasions. Some for companionship. Some for entertainment. Some to aid in the hunt. Some to be hunted for sport.

For a time, this situation worked out fine. Customers came to him at a central location, and trade was conducted quickly. He needed little to no help, and thus made better profits for himself. Then one day he had a noble come to him, who needed many animals of all sorts for a grand festival. Happily, he obliged the nobleman, and readied as many beasts as were asked for.

The festival was that of a grand hunting party. The nobles all had hunting aids of his, and the prey were creatures he brought as well. The horn was sounded, and the prey released. Much to the dismay of the nobles, the prey walked straight to the hunters, wanting to socialize with the hunting dogs, and the dogs in turn did not attack. They had grown too used to each other, being near and aware of the others presence for so long. The beastmaster lost a great deal of money that day, and was flogged by the nobles for his incompetence.

The wise beastmaster keeps his herds separate, so they may do as they are required of when the time comes. Remember this young merchant, so that you may have success in raising obedient monsters of your own."

Last edited:

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Entry 4 - The Farmer and the Rocky Field

I once knew a farmer that sold a great number of different crops. I thought it strange, that he should take so much extra time and care producing this varied supply, when other farmers who specialized generally were able to bring more stock overall to market than he could. I asked the farmer why he chose this path instead of the farm that specializes, and he responded:

"There was a farmer some time ago who owned a large plot of land. There was fertile ground, and dry ground, and marshland, and some barren rocky ground as well. The farmer decided with all his land, that he should plant wheat. The wheat grew well in the fertile land, and with some work the farmer was able to make it also grew in the dry land and the marshland as well. No matter how he tried though, he could get no wheat to grow in the rocky ground. So, finally, he gave up on that part of his land to focus on the wheat he could grow.

Things were prosperous for a time, until one year when a drought wiped away all of the farmer's wheat crops. There was nothing he could do, as his entire livelihood rested on the successful sales of the wheat. Without any wheat to sell, his family starved to death that winter. Had the farmer instead planted what would grow rather than forcing simply what he chose, He would have found the rocky soil was perfect for olive trees, who also happen to be resistant to drought.

Remember, the wise farmer finds a use in all the lands he owns, and so should you find a use for all the tools at your disposal, young merchant."

---

Entry 5 - The Humble Noble

I once knew a noble man that had garnered a reputation for being excessively humble. At gatherings he would always take the seat of least acclaim, even when his position in life placed him far above many of the other people in attendance. He spoke respectfully and often submissively to those below his station. He treated the servants as his equal. I asked the nobleman why he decided to forfeit his privilege and act as though he were no better than the peasantry, and he responded:

"There was an event some time ago - a great feast - that included many noblemen and women, from the local ruler down to the lowest of noble families. I sat in the back, near the kitchen. As the great nobles conversed and waited for their food, I could also hear the conversation in the kitchen. The servants, fed up with their masters' ego and attitudes, planned to poison the food. Had the masters been more humble, they would have not been killed. Had I been less humble, I would have died with them. Instead, I now enjoy the position the local ruler left behind after his death.

Remember young merchant, the wise man makes himself seem smaller than he actually is, so that he obfuscates the fact he is a threat. Let others paint targets on themselves with their pride, while you smile and quietly make a profit."

Last edited:

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
Entry 5 is now up. May end this book here, thinking I'm going to tangent into some folklore tales for a while after this. expand on some old work I did. We'll see.