Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Pseudepigrapha in IC Writings

Should we have some of this?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but OOC stuff may be get in the way.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No because of OOC issues

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I googled this.

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Jase

"Something need doing?"
Legend
I sat down, and elaborated a little more:
This post attempts explains what Pseudepigrapha is, and how it could be applied to Altera. Note, I did write this after the thread started and had been up for a few hours so ideas are also taken from other people's comments on this thread. esp Scardrac , love you bro

Pseudepigrapha is where an author falsely attributes his/her work to another individual. This puts into a question of the books authenticity and how well those writings reflect the ideas of the individual it is attributed.

The word is generally used in a religious sense, regarding writings that have questionable origins.

This is interesting because it could be applied very well into IC interactions with literature and how player characters respond to works. It asks player characters to question the level of authenticity that books and novels have. What is the purpose of this writing? How does it match with what I know for sure and could it be true or is it false?
Although these are usually religious works, the concept could be applied to writings on lore IC as well.
I suppose it would also be very fun writing outlandish texts, falsifying data deliberately and claiming it to be written by an IC rival in game. Making some heretical writings and then claiming it was written by a prophet would be funny too. Though people'd have to tell relevant people so no-one gets annoyed OOC.

Last edited:

Scardrac

Felsummer
Was it your main motivation in making this poll to bait a google search?

Just kidding but yes I did have to google it, and for that reason my input is this: it's a very specific cultural implement that would be likely at the hands of the players! The religious establishment of the server isn't ever set in stone. So many different religions have been altered by their followings.

Ignis followers call Ignis the only "god" and her subordinates Angels.

I also pressed mentions of prophecy, and a messiah, back during the Harateth days.

Last edited:

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
Was it your main motivation is making this poll to bait a google search?

Just kidding but yes I did have to google it, and for that reason my input is this: it's a very specific cultural implement that would be likely at the hands of the players! The religious establishment of the server isn't ever set in stone. So many different religions have been altered by their followings.

Ignis followers call Ignis the only "god" and her subordinates Angels.

I also pressed mentions of prophecy, and a messiah, back during the Harateth days.
I think he means the definition of having the name of an author on a book that author didn't actually write

Scardrac

Felsummer
I think he means the definition of having the name of an author on a book that author didn't actually write
What in the world did I just google search. the word is attributed to specific historical context, so I assumed the purpose of the thread was "should I touch internal real life religious controversies"

Otherwise I don't think there's rules against lying in character.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
What in the world did I just google search. the word is attributed to specific historical context, so I assumed the purpose of the thread was "should I touch internal real life religious controversies"

Otherwise I don't think there's rules against lying in character.
It could be either or.. I dunno. I used wikipedia

Vincentius

A miserable little pile of secrets
Lore Staff
Lover
Hero
Staff
Vinsintius
Vinsintius
Lover
huhu not having to Google 'cause you two are lovely ^^
As someone playing a writer, I feel like this could create fun IC conflict and mishap, but it could get frustrating to some people OOC, likely for different reasons to each individual involved.
I'm in favor!

Edit: As for the religious definition, variety in conflicts is always good!

Jase

"Something need doing?"
Legend
Was it your main motivation is making this poll to bait a google search?
You got me.

So what I mean are falsly attributed works which seek to in paticular exploit someones legacy by forging writings and attributing works in their name to defame them or boost ones standing through faking writing.

Or encourage the spread of certain heretical writings.

Scardrac

Felsummer
I think this is one of those self-controlling things. If this happens to a particularly reputable character and it's no doubt just a grab at ruining their life, it might not fly. However if someone's bein kinda sorta sketchy and someone wants to tip them over it'll provide a chance for people to go "oh wait a second".

Jase

"Something need doing?"
Legend
I think this is one of those self-controlling things. If this happens to a particularly reputable character and it's no doubt just a grab at ruining their life, it might not fly. However if someone's bein kinda sorta sketchy and someone wants to tip them over it'll provide a chance for people to go "oh wait a second".
Good point.
I didn't think of it that...

Squidziod

Kid Charlemagne
Mystic
Retired Owner
Squidziod
Squidziod
LegendMystic
I would never, ever credit someone else's work as my own. I would however, credit my work to a person who didn't exist, or was long dead (in a fictional world such as this) just for fun. Blurring the lines og IG history with confusing writing is both interesting and fun-- it might make being a scholar (who can tell what's what) a more interesting line of work with interesting RP.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Good point.
I didn't think of it that...
It also serves as a return to my original point, which you also specifically addressed. Religious texts. Undoubtedly one of if not the most widely perceived forms of history. Minor wordings (or lack thereof) can change the course of history, as it has before. What's to stop someone from spending their life's earnings forging an expensive piece of text that completely changes the concept of a religion, by imitating a long deceased prophet?

Answer: Absolutely nothing. But know the audience.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Evil
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
I think slandering people/false prophecy IC via this is a cool prospect, I don't know if it's something to need staff weighing in on, but I'll bring it up.

Unless I've fundamentally misunderstood what you're asking, that is.

Jase

"Something need doing?"
Legend
My end goal for this was to force player characters to go through the motions of asking themselves if they believe some writing. They are kind of like rumours but to a far more exceptional scale in how they explore an idea.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Evil
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
My end goal for this was to force player characters to go through the motions of asking themselves if they believe some writing. They are kind of like rumours but to a far more exceptional scale in how they explore an idea.
Sounds good to me.