Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Roma Invicta

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
The preparations were complete, the Barbarians only stood fifty yards away. The plan is simple; run in front with the bulk of forces, Velites covering our charge, while cavalry attacks the skirmishers who stand at the rear. Four Ballistae are lined up behind the forest, ready to throw out flaming shots. I press play, and watch the Hell on Earth unroll. My Legionaries quickly charge at the main bulk, the centre gets hit with four well-aimed charges, erupting into mass of burning people and charred bodies. Cavalry swipes through the light skirmisher lines, ripping apart anyone who's unlucky enough to get in its way. Velites run in, to support the Legionaries with javelins. The battle has turned into an onslaught. I watch with pride as cavalry moves into running down the fleeing remnants of once-overpowering army. Some still try to stand. As I watch, one of my cavalrymen's horse turns around and kicks a Barbarian in the chest, leaving very little to imagination. Another enemy gets his arm cut off by a Roman Gladius. The battle is won, but Rome is still struggling; politicians are ripping me apart, and I need to fight on three fronts, with entire Greece united against me.

There was another thread made about Rome II: Total War, but that was before it actually came out. Now that it's out, I can share my experiences and get you to share yours.
The game is amazing, despite the rather poor for some launch. I personally had no problems with it since the launch aside from poor framerates, however quick, couple of megabyte big patches fixed everything. It's surprising that in the age of Gigabytes, twenty one Mb can be enough to almost remove all lag not caused by poor rig.

As for the gameplay; It's Total War. If you haven't played the series before, go hide in shame. At the start, I admit the interface of the main campaign was slightly confusing, but that confusion quickly gave way. Battles themselves are fairly easy, even on Hard difficulty I play on, at least in early stages, because later it does get hard. However, the amazing thing is that up until you realise you're screwed, you have no idea of the dangers, and quite often they strike you when you least expect them. Politics are a big thing, but you have to find a balance between them and keeping Rome's borders safe, as well as expanding them. Technological trees are big and there are tonnes of nations to choose from. The game is fun and not brainless, which is something I like. I recommend it to any RTS fan, even though it received slightly bad reviews at the release.