Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Suggestion] Trade Chat Etiquette

Recently I have noticed trade chat has been more active, and that's great. People are buying and selling things and at least in my eyes things are picking up nicely (that's not the point of this thread, but huzzah!).

With this increase in economic activity, I suggest that we, as a player base, pay closer attention to rules and "unwritten rules" about trade chat. The following are trade chat guidelines I've compiled just to remind people to be courteous. After all, this is a roleplay server, not an economy server.

1) If you have something to buy/sell, advertise it once in a while. I've noticed some increase in people advertising things minutes apart. If the didn't want to deal with you 5 minutes ago, they don't want to deal now. Be courteous to your fellow players and don't spam them.

2) Be sure what you have to say is on topic. If it's not a real item or it's completely off topic, just don't post it. Better to use OOC to kid around. Trade chat is for business, and when it's cluttered with "jokes" it degrades the purpose of the channel.

3) Don't buy or sell IC things over trade chat. While not an official rule, it's a bit odd to acquire IC things using an OOC chat. If your character wants to buy or sell an item, buy or sell it IC'ly. Go to merchants or merchant events. Please don't buy or sell or trade drink recipes over trade chat, either. They are meant to be discovered IC'ly, not bartered for OOCly.

4) Once you've found somebody to deal, take the chat to private message. Again, too many messages in trade clutters it and means even more people leave the channel, so please respect others!

5) Change things up. If you have lots of things to sell or buy, try to advertise different things at different times. Nobody wants to see the same merchant selling the same thing over and over again.

6) Stay positive! If you can't find what you're looking for, don't be afraid to set up more permanent accommodations or use the forums. Try looking for a merchant or a trade based town (there are at least 3 I can think of off the top of my head) to set up a shop or sell/buy directly. Look for events. Making money here can be challenging, but it can also be very rewarding, so stay positive!

Edit: Staff- I know this is actually a suggestion and probably should have gone into suggestions. Feel free to move it. I put it here because I felt it had more to do with player etiquette than any server suggestion or change.

Sassy

Lord of Altera
Legend
SewSassy
SewSassy
Legend
Recently I have noticed trade chat has been more active, and that's great. People are buying and selling things and at least in my eyes things are picking up nicely (that's not the point of this thread, but huzzah!).

With this increase in economic activity, I suggest that we, as a player base, pay closer attention to rules and "unwritten rules" about trade chat. The following are trade chat guidelines I've compiled just to remind people to be courteous. After all, this is a roleplay server, not an economy server.

1) If you have something to buy/sell, advertise it once in a while. I've noticed some increase in people advertising things minutes apart. If the didn't want to deal with you 5 minutes ago, they don't want to deal now. Be courteous to your fellow players and don't spam them.

2) Be sure what you have to say is on topic. If it's not a real item or it's completely off topic, just don't post it. Better to use OOC to kid around. Trade chat is for business, and when it's cluttered with "jokes" it degrades the purpose of the channel.

3) Don't buy or sell IC things over trade chat. While not an official rule, it's a bit odd to acquire IC things using an OOC chat. If your character wants to buy or sell an item, buy or sell it IC'ly. Go to merchants or merchant events. Please don't buy or sell or trade drink recipes over trade chat, either. They are meant to be discovered IC'ly, not bartered for OOCly.

4) Once you've found somebody to deal, take the chat to private message. Again, too many messages in trade clutters it and means even more people leave the channel, so please respect others!

5) Change things up. If you have lots of things to sell or buy, try to advertise different things at different times. Nobody wants to see the same merchant selling the same thing over and over again.

6) Stay positive! If you can't find what you're looking for, don't be afraid to set up more permanent accommodations or use the forums. Try looking for a merchant or a trade based town (there are at least 3 I can think of off the top of my head) to set up a shop or sell/buy directly. Look for events. Making money here can be challenging, but it can also be very rewarding, so stay positive!

Edit: Staff- I know this is actually a suggestion and probably should have gone into suggestions. Feel free to move it. I put it here because I felt it had more to do with player etiquette than any server suggestion or change.
I can also confirm. I've noticed way too often that so many people leave trade chat, and then end up hurting those who want to sell their items/goods as a consequence.

I like seeing the occasional *Selling orphan tears * in that chat
It's fine in OOC, but unless you actually have a bottle of orphan tears to sell, I honestly don't think it's polite to merchants to joke around in that chat. It's hard enough to get people to stay in trade chat...

I'd like to say I've noticed a big improvement lately in the use to trade chat. *claps*