Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Variable Player-count and Multi-dimensional Altera

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Hey!
I come to you with a discussion initiator. Something I've been wondering...

Imagine the following:
There's you and two other players that almost always come online during weekdays, but are always occupied during weekends. When you're online, there's at the most 8 other people online, on a good day.
Now, you roleplay in the same world as every other roleplays in. The three of you have roleplayed for hours on end and have enjoyed a lot of character development. So much, in fact, that you've gotten to the point of owning your own land ICly. You might roleplay as an evil faction and you might have access to magic or another form of power with which you can taint the land.

Now imagine this:
There is about 50 people online on a good saturday and sunday night, when timezones of Europe and America overlap in both territories having free time to spend behind their computer. All these people roleplay in the same world as the three that they are totally oblivious of.
This means that their characters breath the same air as the three I described above, and should in theory be able to interact with each other or at least have indirect effects on another. The three will be subjugated to changes in politics or even deaths from the other 50, yet they have never met OOCly and might not even know each other's username.

I see this posing significant problems.
One problem, which is the same for the difference between people that have an onlinetime of 10 hours a week and people with 1 hour a week, is that their characters develop faster and might have more strength in certain areas. While the other doesn't know about it at all and might call PowerGaming, just cause they don't know about each other.

Second problem is that these three live in as good as a second reality / in another dimension as the people online in the weekends. While there might be a thorough hate between the Elves and Dwarves characters during weekdays, the Altera in weekends shows a compassion of both races to each other, just cause the Dwarf-population consists of an entirely different set of characters.

Third problem, as subproblem of the second: With multiple dimensions in the same world (yet tied to the same lore): don't we have multiple different Altera's? Perhaps this problem is the very fundament of a lot of disagreeing over the views characters have on the world and the races that live herein, as well as over the legitimateness of claims of territories, political status, and particular skill of characters.

I'm not sure how to tackle such problems.
I don't know if we should even try.
But I wanted to throw it out there and see how you people look at these 'problems'.
What do you think, and does it really matter in the end in your perspective?
I truly think this is interesting and would love to have some discussion about it, as it isn't a very tangible subject and hasn't been addressed so far as I am aware.

NIAH

The Lurker
Retired Staff
Now imagine this:
There is about 50 people online on a good saturday and sunday night, when timezones of Europe and America overlap in both territories having free time to spend behind their computer. All these people roleplay in the same world as the three that they are totally oblivious of.
This means that their characters breath the same air as the three I described above, and should in theory be able to interact with each other or at least have indirect effects on another. The three will be subjugated to changes in politics or even deaths from the other 50, yet they have never met OOCly and might not even know each other's username.

I have often felt the pain of the differing timezones, as there are many players that I'd love to RP with but haven't had the chance to yet. I think it's just an inevitable byproduct of being a global community. That's one of the really great things about the forums though. It allows players that don't get to interact IG catch up on the forums. It's a way to keep up with the public knowledge.

I see this posing significant problems.
One problem, which is the same for the difference between people that have an onlinetime of 10 hours a week and people with 1 hour a week, is that their characters develop faster and might have more strength in certain areas. While the other doesn't know about it at all and might call PowerGaming, just cause they don't know about each other.
This one I'd have to disagree with. If you ever think something has not be legitimately obtained, you just have to start a convo with staff. We try to look into every powergaming report and comb through extensive logs to see. Hawkeye tells no lies.

Second problem is that these three live in as good as a second reality / in another dimension as the people online in the weekends. While there might be a thorough hate between the Elves and Dwarves characters during weekdays, the Altera in weekends shows a compassion of both races to each other, just cause the Dwarf-population consists of an entirely different set of characters.
In this regard, it's no different than the real world. The same people in Bobtown may not all have the same opinion of the people on Gregtown. Racial playstyles tend to vary by the player, so how much or how little racial politics they use depends on the person. It comes down to individual characters instead of trying to look at it as race vs race.

Third problem, as subproblem of the second: With multiple dimensions in the same world (yet tied to the same lore): don't we have multiple different Altera's? Perhaps this problem is the very fundament of a lot of disagreeing over the views characters have on the world and the races that live herein, as well as over the legitimateness of claims of territories, political status, and particular skill of characters.
It's all the same Altera. It's impractical and a bit metagamey if every character knew every facet of every faction, every secret, every nation. Having that unknown is a facet of roleplay, I think. Each character comes with a different knowledge base and set of experiences. The legitimateness of claims is something inevitable, as everyone who gets involved in the territory race probably likes to win and wants to be the biggest. It's like two neighbors who feud for twenty years over the border of their properties. It comes from a desire to feel self-important, I think. As far as a particular set of skills, I go back to bit I mentioned in the first problem. If you think a character didn't get skills legitimately, just send a convo to staff and we can always look into it. But largely, it's just part of roleplay that not every character knows everything. It's something that generally should be tackled in RP, unless there's reason to think something fishy and rulebreaky is going on.

I'm not sure how to tackle such problems.
I don't know if we should even try.
But I wanted to throw it out there and see how you people look at these 'problems'.
What do you think, and does it really matter in the end in your perspective?
I truly think this is interesting and would love to have some discussion about it, as it isn't a very tangible subject and hasn't been addressed so far as I am aware.
This is mostly just my two cents as a player, except the plug about reporting rulebreaking to staff. I don't view these as problems, so much characters and players living in a global setting. Not knowing the extend of someone's influence, land, etc, is just a thing to be learned IC I suppose.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
Great answer Niek! Thanks for having this conversation with me. I find it a very interesting topic and am glad you took so much time to answer in such detail!

Landem

Lord of Altera
There is about 50 people online on a good saturday and sunday night,
:eek:
Having 5 people online is an average number for the time that I get on at. All of my characters may as well live in another dimension (thank god for nocturnal americans-). Having never been to a server event and hardly any events that weren't my own, I feel your pain so hard.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
Having 5 people online is an average number for the time that I get on at. All of my characters may as well live in another dimension (thank god for nocturnal americans-). Having never been to a server event and hardly any events that weren't my own, I feel your pain so hard.
USA! USA! USA!

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
Half of us are Canadian you prod.

Jstar

Exitus acta probat
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
JstarGames
JstarGames
Good
British. Dealing with your western timezones is a nightmare.

Cymic_

Better than sliced bread
Legend
i am on til 2AM every night morning. Even on school days, (mind you, i must wake up at 6AM) but there were about 40-50 people on yesterday, around 3 or 4 PM and usually when it is 1 or 2 AM there is >5. Me and Colonelgames were literally the only on, til i decided i wanted to sleep and left him.

Sadko

Lord of Altera
sadko12345
sadko12345
eh, i can afford to go to sleep at 9 pm saturday and wake up at 4 am for an event. hurts my sleep schedule but other than that atleast i feel connected to everybody else.

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
I love how this thread turned into a call for Nationalism :')
Don't regard this as a necro, I just came back from France and I wanted to compliment these funny comments!