Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Video Cards

Silvertread

Lord of Altera
So, I looked at my system specs recently and saw that I needed a new video card.
Do any of you have any suggestions? (Since I have no idea how it works) It's for gaming and I'm looking for a price tag under 150 euros/130 British Pounds/200 American dollars.

NiNi

MooCat
Have a look into the AMD/ATI cards, they are really powerful and reliable, even at your price range =]

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
I have a 7850 and I run most games on max at 1920x1080

I find ATI far more stable and reliable. They also use less power so therefore don't get as hot and therefore don't fail as much.

Had terrible experiences with Nvidia over the years.

ATI all the way!

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Well, Nvidia is generally considered better... for top range only though.

ATI, however, is cheaper, probably more reliable, and if you're not going for the very best, you should consider an ATI.

I had decent experiences with both, but ATI wins by the price. I currently have an ATI 6770, and no trouble from it at all, and though I don't have Battlefield 3, my friend has the same card and he maxes it on decent resolution.

Sephyrius

Loyal Servant of Altera
Running an 7870 2GB myself, been able to max out pretty much anything except for flight simulators and ArmA (CPU bottlenecks I reckon, too many unused cores :p ) as well as mucking about with running multiple clients of games for splitscreen attempts, so quite happy with it thus far and would chip in on the ATI recommendations.

Bit outside of your price range though,a 7770 1GB should be within it, but that's just the prices we get here so check your own store.

And yeah, as mentioned, ATI's good performance at low cost for low-end, nVidia's pricey but better for high-end.

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
I think you're not maxing Arma 2 because it mostly clogs up CPU power. Each AI, even on the other side of the map, is still processed directly through CPU because the game's AI uses no scripts.

Sephyrius

Loyal Servant of Altera
I think you're not maxing Arma 2 because it mostly clogs up CPU power. Each AI, even on the other side of the map, is still processed directly through CPU because the game's AI uses no scripts.
I know, hence why I said it's a CPU bottleneck. Need a bloody NASA computer to run Arma maxed out :p Arma 3 Alpha is looking quite good in terms of optimization.

Silvertread

Lord of Altera
I got an AMD Radeon HD 7770, I hope I chose well. :p
Thanks everyone!
I will now proceed to like every post in this thread.