Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Journal of Evic [WiP]

Evic

I think I might like it here
Name: Baron Evictus Darkblade
Nickname/Alias: Evic
Race: Human (Shadow)
Height: 5'8”
Weight: 170lbs
Hair: Shaved/Brown (None)
Eyes: Blue (Currently Glowing Blue)
Skin: Tanned (Black as night)
Identifying Marks: Evic's body has scarring from over a decade of war. (Currently shrouded in shadow)

Appearance: Evic is currently without his body. He misplaced it. The shadow has formed a replacement body of the weight and dimensions of his human form, although without hair. It is difficult to make out his features as his current form does not reflect light. His skin is cool to the touch, a few degrees colder than other humans.

Strengths: Evic possesses unusually strong willpower for a human. He is physically strong from years serving in the army. This remains true in his current form. Although he can be harmed injuries can be healed slightly more quickly with concentration and effort. Controlling the shadows is probably magic but he does not see it this way.

Weaknesses and fears: Evic wears an enchanted mask which allows him to sustain his current form, without it he must concentrate or loose control of the shadow which makes up his physical self. When the mask is removed you can almost see the shadows flowing away. Essentially still human, he has similar weaknesses to other humans.

Religion and cults: Evic once worshipped the god of blacksmithing with his family when he was younger, over the years he has developed a strong sense that the gods don't care much for mortal concerns. It's not that he doesn't believe. It's just he cares about them as much as they care about him.

Profession: Apprenticed Blacksmith / Former Professional Soldier / Currently Elite Guard of Protaras

Prologue

Once I would have scoffed at scholars who sit in their libraries writing their books. As the years pass your perception changes, things that were important to youth become less so as you get older. Now here I sit trying to organise my past into a book for others to peer over. They say it will help. Bah! If your reading this you are as much a fool as me for writing it...

So be it...

1. The Eldest Son of a Blacksmith

Many many years ago. I grew up in a small town, on one of the main roads through Altera. My Family had lived there since we were born and was well liked and respected in the community.

My father Erebus was the towns blacksmith and a very good one at that. My brothers and I studied under him as his apprentices. The idea was that I would take over the forge here and my two brothers Gerard and Frederick would move on, marry and set up forges elsewhere when they were old enough. “The great Darkblade forge network” he would call it. I think he had mild delusions of grandeur.

My mother Vivian was tough but fair, she had to be with three boys. With barely a year between each of us rivalry and fighting was something we had grown accustomed to from a young age. That coupled with the developing build of working the forges sometimes resulted in injuries. For which we would receive a tongue lashing from our mother, followed by a swift slap if we had earned it. Father left these sort of things to mother. We learned early not to mess around at work. If we did father would just give us that disapproving look and send us back home. We all loved working around the forge so much that hurt more than anything.

Although I loved the forge it was not my calling. Our town, given where it was, was frequently used as a stopping point between the great cities. Everyone from nobles to peasants. At various time even the troops of the Kings Guard. My earliest memory is of the Kings Guard riding into town on magnificent war horses, diamond armour glittering in the setting sun. I knew then I would join the Guard and serve the King. Five years old and holding my fathers hand I told him so. He laughed and patted my head. Father had said with a far away look in his eye: “I served when I was younger and I don't want any of my sons leading that life... Life is good here, life is peaceful”. He never spoke about it otherwise even when pressed. As the years went on I had given up asking. I guess he hoped I had forgotten.

... continuation

At the age of fifteen I proudly told my parents I was going to join the army now that I was old enough. My mother was upset, and my brothers shocked and my father looked sad. After a long discussion they realised that I was not to be swayed. My mother although proud of me was worried for my safety. My brothers had never realised I was serious about joining, although playing at war was one thing they had never really considered it compared to life working the forge. Late into the evening my father and I sat alone. He told me stories from his time in the army. They were nothing like to tales of the bards that travel through that told of heroes and villains. They were stories of people with names and families many of which never saw each other again. In the short time we had he prepared me the best he could for where my road would take me. Some lessons however you have to learn for yourself.

2. Signing up - Tough Digs

I left with the next trade caravan to Port Silver, the roads being safe and well patrolled the trip was uneventful. Seeing Port Silver for the first time was a humbling experience. The mighty citadel, the bustling market. I walked for a while in wide eyed awe. By the time I made it to the recruitment centre, I had given most of my food away to some nice people who looked hungry, and misplaced what coin I had around the same time. I figured that it was okay, the army would be looking after my needs soon.

The recruitment centre was not the prettiest of buildings in the town. It was a sort of low stone building with access for wagons to the rear. Locals seemed to give it a wide berth. In front of the building there was a bored looking city guard. I approached him with a grin and declared my inventions to join the army. I think he chuckled to himself and let me in.

Evic

Evic

Future chapters and story will be along the lines of the following...

War... War never changes... / Moving up.
Summary of Evic's first battle and early career in the Army. Eventually leading to being knighted for valour, saving the life of a noted Baron.

Peace / Dawn of War.
Evic's life after some years of war. Settling down with his Wife (said Barons Daughter) and the start of his family. Spending time away on duty as required. Then a summons to the king palace for a war council. Demons are invading and Evic's keep is near the portal.

Riders in the Storm / Rage.
Riding at full speed with as many men as can keep up. Evic arrives finding his wife and son killed and the keep in ruins. For the next 5 years Evic returns to the front lines leading the assault against the demonic forces whilst descending into madness.

The Gates / Darkness.
Having beaten the demons back to the gates of hell, the King seeks volunteers to invade hell itself. Evic accepts, During the battle Evic saves his commanding officer from the Great Demon T'leth. In the ensuing battle, the T'leth attempts to take Evic's soul. At which time Evic is able to land a final thrust of his blade into the demons heart. His soul now suspended between the now destroyed demon and his body becomes fused to his mask. He dreams and finds peace.

Intermission / Awakening
While Evic dreams, his mask, recovered from the battle and preserved as a relic, goes on to be used by the hero's of the day in times of great need. Eventually falling into superstition the mask takes residence in a museum. Many years later, a botched robbery results in the death of the museum caretaker. The mask awakens.

Alailanible

Sparkly purple member of the team
What about the most recent confrontation with the demon? When is that getting some love?

Evic

Got 5 and a half chapters to write... Maybe I'll write it in reverse order...

Alailanible

Sparkly purple member of the team
Maybe that is a good idea. :p
No, seriously, many people check the profiles to see how the character they are interacting with is so it may not be a bad idea to start there.