Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Realistic Longsword Dueling

Teeke

Lord of Altera
Oh wow... this takes me back~

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wmaw
These are a bunch of videos from WMAW, Western Martial Arts Workshop, it's the biggest event of its kind in the world. Historical recreationists from all over the world get together to practice their technique, learn new ones, and discuss historical texts. It's incredibly fun to attend and things learn here are very useful in combat. These videos accurately depict historical fighting techniques.

edit edit:
The vids from 2002 aren't up anymore, so you won't be able to see me sword fighting :(

Last edited:

Scardrac

Felsummer
Ohdeargod I've wanted realistic longsword fighting to be a thing in roleplay but too many people are focused on dodges and cool moves for techniques to realistically happen. (I admit I have been one of those people. Working on it. ;-;)

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
Unrelated but similarly interesting!

MRPolo13

The Arbiter of the Gods
Yeah, as I said, it's impossible to RP fighting properly. There is too much turn-based action.
Having said that, the first video is the idealised version of all stances and moves developed deeply into renaissance. Also, in a real combat situation there is hardly anyone that would use the moves taught. Adrenaline hits in and it's pretty hard to keep your flow. It's not a sport, it's an attempt to kill the opponent, and you don't get extra points for fancy moves. Nevertheless, unarmoured sword fights usually lasted up to ten seconds. Anything past that and both opponents got extremely tired (since unarmoured, you throw literally everything you have. It rips muscles to shreds...)

As for the Viking fighting, I don't feel the shield is used as much as it could potentially be. I saw a wonderful video explaining the importance of shield use in Viking era.

That'd be the lecture.

Gregor

Lord of Altera
Medieval fighting was savage, it wasnt just swords and parrying. They were /killing/ eachother. They would grapple, stand on eachothers foot. And people underestimate the power of polearms.
This dude isnt even a spear expert.

Somnastra

Puppycat Herder
Staff member
Admin
Events Staff
Lore Staff
Good
Staff
Retired Owner
Somnastra
Somnastra