Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Serious issue with my graphics card.

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
Just installed my Radeon XFX r6670 which requires 400 watts.
and then i installed my new PSU with 520 watts.

Well when i tried to load it up, it failed. It would not display on my monitor. I believe the gfx card may have failed after a fuse that was blown ( i mistakenly tried to run it on 300 watts and blew a fuse, but everything still works fine) so maybe the card is faulty?

Any ideas?

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
Just installed my Radeon XFX r6670 which requires 400 watts.
and then i installed my new PSU with 520 watts.

Well when i tried to load it up, it failed. It would not display on my monitor. I believe the gfx card may have failed after a fuse that was blown ( i mistakenly tried to run it on 300 watts and blew a fuse, but everything still works fine) so maybe the card is faulty?

Any ideas?
How are you connecting it? HDMI, DV-I, VGA? Is the fan on the video card spinning?

Sometimes a video card has 2 power sockets requiring 2 seperate feeds using the dedicated video power connectors coming from the PSU. Does your PSU have these dedicated video power cables? Sometimes the total wattage of your PSU is irrelevant. Its how much wattage it can throw down a single rail to power the video card.

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
How are you connecting it? HDMI, DV-I, VGA? Is the fan on the video card spinning?

Sometimes a video card has 2 power sockets requiring 2 seperate feeds using the dedicated video power connectors coming from the PSU. Does your PSU have these dedicated video power cables? Sometimes the total wattage of your PSU is irrelevant. Its how much wattage it can throw down a single rail to power the video card.
You mean those two cord thingys that some gfx cards need you to plug into? No this gfx card does not need that.
i do not know if it spins, i kept the case closed when i tried to run it.

and honestly, i have no idea if it is in HDMI, DV-I, or VGA. It is where the Radeon 6450 was in originally (when it came with the computer)

Also, considering both teh video cards are Radeons and AMD's, i didnt uninstall my previous video drivers. Could this be the issue?

jamesh

Lord of Altera
If your gfx is using 300w and your processor (most likely) is hauling 100w of power. You are already are at 400w. But you said it runs at 400w and your hauling 100w with your cpu alone. I'm guessing your power supply just isn't doing the job? (a simple observation I will ask my cousin who is a licensed tech about this :p)

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
If your gfx is using 300w and your processor (most likely) is hauling 100w of power. You are already are at 400w. But you said it runs at 400w and your hauling 100w with your cpu alone. I'm guessing your power supply just isn't doing the job? (a simple observation I will ask my cousin who is a licensed tech about this :p)
The gfx is 400 and my Max Watts is 520
My friend said it might be w faulty card, as a lot of bestbuys ccards can be shoved around while stored (hence the 30 day no question full refund)

Kruziik

<3 Hollow World
It's most likely you're PSU is too weak to power the card, it's not entirely down to power (watts) from a PSU. it's also the robustness of the rails. Personally without knowing the exact make of the PSU I'd guess it's struggling to power the other devices. Bare in mind that the quoted power requirement of the GPU will be a maximum, but at startup power does tend to spike, I'd try a different PSU to check though but faulty parts is always possible (approx. 2% of all hardware is faulty when it leaves the factory).

Just remember that typically:

1 Hard disk = 12 to 15W
CPU = 20 to 120W
GPU = 50 to 450W
other random parts = 50 to 150W

Every part varies though, I only know those from the components I use when specing servers so clearly it'll vary a little for desktops. You've only left yourself with a small amount for the rest of the hardware after the GPUs maximum draw.

fencible

tiny.cc/HW_Texture_Pack 
The only times this has happened to me have been because;
  1. The card got fried from a faulty PSU (along with everything else. It was a 10 year old cheapo one though, so no surprises there)
  2. I hadn't pushed the card in all the way.
    If it's not completely in, it won't work. I was about to send it back when I tried taking it out, and putting it in again, then pushing it a bit more than I felt comfortable with. You should hear a slidy kind of click (best way to describe it) when it's in fully.

toughguyrm

Loyal Servant of Altera
Wow guys. Called customer support, this is what they said.

"The reason the GFX card won't appear on your monitor is because you are using an adapter to hook it up to your PC. All you need to do is buy an HDMI (yes i have the HDMI slot to pop the cable into) cable and your good to go"
glad i dont need to spend 200 dollars to get a dif gfx card :D