Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Usable Codes/Ciphers

Camernater3

Lord of Altera
Basicly post any codes and/or ciphers you know that could be used in rp. I do plan to use some of these at points and this could be very useful to other sneaky type characters or diplomats or anyone really.
(Text taken from the Dangerous Book For Boys by Gonn Iggulden and Hal Iggulden, and Spyology: The complete book of Spycraft (I know corny) by Spencer Blake? I think)

THE CAESAR CIPHER

This is a simple alphabet cipher - but tricky to break without the key. Each letter is moved allong by a number - say four. A becomes E, J becomes N, Z becomes D and so on. THe number is the key to the cipher here. Caesar could agree the number with his generals in private and then send encrypted messages knowing they could not be read without that crucial extra piece of information.

Difficulty: *

NUMBERS

A=1, B=2, C=3 etc, all the way up to Z=26. Messages can be written using those numbers. This cipher is probably too simple to use on it's own; however, if you combine it with the Caesar cipher, it can suddenly become very tricky indeed.

Difficulty: *
w/ Caesar: **

ALPHABET CIPHERS

There are any numbers of these. Most of them depend on the way the alphabet is written out - agreed beforehand between the spies

A B C D E F G H I J K L M

N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Or

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Z Y X W V U T S R Q P O N M L K J I H G F E D C B A

Can both be interchanged to make any order you wish to make this cipher

Difficulty: ***

CODEWORD ALPHABET SUBSTITUTION

You might notice a pattern developing here, to make a good cipher it is a good idea to agree the key beforehand. It could be number, a date, the title of a book, a word or even a kind of stick. It's the sort of added complexity that can make even a simple encryption quite feindish.
Back to one of our earlier examples:

Z Y X W V U T S R Q P O N M L K J I H G F E D C B A

If we added the word 'Window', we would get the sequence below. Note that no letters are repeated, so there are still 26 in the bottom sequence and the second 'W' of 'Window' is not used.

W I N D O A B C E F G H J K L M P Q R S T U V X Y Z

This is a whole new cipher - and without the codeword, the difficulty mounts

Difficulty: ***

THE POLYBIUS SQUARE

In this system, each letter is represented by two numbers - the number of the row the letter apears in, followed by the number of the column. For example O is 34 (3rd row 4th column). Coded messages can be written down or sent using flashing torches. This code can even be used by prisoners in neighboring cells, who can tap the numbers on the walls.

1 2 3 4 5
1 A B C D E
2 F G H I/J K
3 L M N O P
4 Q R S T U
5 V W X Y Z

This can be shuffled around in any way you might like

Difficulty: ****

Again, feel free to post your own codes and/or ciphers that could be used

Yoda

Lord of Altera
I forget the use of these. It means I'd be able to use the APS, too, because I can trust a courier then.