Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

A Guide to Villains and Roleplaying

Ddaug

Lord of Altera
Roleplaying is often compared to writing a story. We are all collaborating and interacting together, playing as individual roles in one larger and greater story. The backbone to any great story, however, is a good villain.

In this thread I will discuss three major points:
1. The importance of a villain in roleplaying.
2. What makes a good villain?
3. Why you should either play as a villain, or let the villains win.

The Importance of a villain in Roleplaying

Think of almost any great story, legend, or tale. From Batman to The Iliad, each has an interesting, diverse, and powerful enemy that the protagonist must attempt to overcome. This enemy, or villain, is what drives the story. Without a good and powerful enemy a story becomes stale and predictable. With a capable and complicated villain the story suddenly has purpose. The protagonist must fight and struggle against an unpredictable enemy, which is what makes a story interesting.

It is this struggle that makes a story, and also plays as a critical piece in roleplaying. A villain offers something for our characters to struggle against. It brings purpose to our roleplaying, and keeps us interested and engaged.

More often than not, we want to play the protagonists in the story. However, if we all played the good guys, there would be no villains to struggle against, and thus our story would become dull. This problem can fixed with a well-made villain. Playing a well-made villain is often far more interesting than playing a protagonist. However, making a good villain is not easy. Thus, the next section..

What Makes a Good Villain?

The most important aspect to a good villain is motive. One could play a mass murderer who, yes, incites roleplay and gives something for protagonists to struggle against; but without motive this villain lacks complexity and purpose. Without motive it can be incredibly hard to enjoy roleplaying as a villain.

For example, I have been able to play actively and engaged with my villain character Andal because of his robinhood-based motive. With this motive, despite killing and stealing, Andal still views himself as the good guy. He is able to justify theft and murder because he has a good motive to do it. This allows me to feel as if I am playing the protagonist, and makes the roleplaying experience interesting and enjoyable for both me(the villain), and the characters Andal fights against(the "good guys").

With a good motive the line between "good" and "evil" should become fuzzy. While I still classify my character as a villain, one could argue that considering his motive, Andal is in fact a good guy.

Once a proper motive is established you can begin making the villain around it. This process is the same as making any interesting character. A good back story, an interesting personality, quirks, and flaws all play into an interesting and well-rounded character.

Why you should either play a villain, or let villains win.

Even knowing this most people will still play the typical "good guy" protagonist characters. There is nothing wrong with that, and playing as a villain simply isn't for everyone. However, if you have never played as a villain, I urge you to give it a shot. And if you have tried, but didn't enjoy it, perhaps give playing a villain another chance using the guidelines I just offered.

For the majority who simply don't want to play as a villain, you can still make a huge difference by allowing villains to win. It is far too common for people to become overly attached to their character and their characters struggle against an enemy. Players will often make their characters enemy their own enemy, and strive both IC and OOC to bring this enemy or villain down. With this and the usual overwhelming amount of "good guy" characters, villain characters often get defeated before they have the chance to bring about their awesome roleplay potential. So simply put, let the villains win. When villains win it brings about incredible roleplay experiences and gives the chance for even better roleplay down the road.

Thank you for reading through. I'd love to see other peoples opinions on villains in roleplay, suggestions on how to make a good villain, and villain concept ideas.

Cukie1

Essentially a Chihuahua
Aware Single
Legend
Pronouns
She/Her
Cukie1
Cukie1
Single
I do like this. A note to keep in mind for other players, as I've seen this a lot and am guilty of it myself. Not all mental disorders lead to a villain, sometimes they're just quirks.

As for me, my main character was meant to be morally grey. Still somewhat is, though settling down and having a daughter inclines her to a bit more good. She simply let people do their own things and was often times a puppet or doll for good and bad. (Hence why she's my 'living doll' character.) She still does things people would be on the fence about and might even downright reject, but that doesn't stop her from doing what she believes is right, or in some cases, as she pleases.

RexJen

Lord of Altera
I've not really thought about having "good" or "evil" characters for a bit, even Jaclyn who was definately a villian, I just thought of her having a different moral compass. But then again, I didn't really enjoy rping her in the end. I might think about making a proper evil character sometime in the future!

BrianAT16

The Brainz
Legend
Retired Staff
LeStrangest
LeStrangest
Legend
Completely agree. I have played a few "villans" in my time here and all of them created some of the best RP I have ever experienced.

Regarding letting the villains win I agree and disagree to an extent.

I agree with it because if you think of the server as a novel you have to remember that most authors don't kill off the antagonist in the first chapter. That just doesn't lead to a good story for the most part.

But at the same time every villain must have a down fall eventually, in my opinion. And sometimes losing is just as fun as winning. But not when you are just killed the first time you try to do something. Just give it a little time and let the story progress.

But this is all a very good point and needed to be said.

Tot

Lord of Altera
Frosty
The_Tottot
The_Tottot
Frosty
I'm ready to make James evil whenever you guys are! Power hungry merchant mogul at your service!

Sadko

Lord of Altera
sadko12345
sadko12345
A villain can also survive and change his ways, redeeming himself and creating even more emotional, quality roleplay.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Completely agree. I have played a few "villans" in my time here and all of them created some of the best RP I have ever experienced.

Regarding letting the villains win I agree and disagree to an extent.

I agree with it because if you think of the server as a novel you have to remember that most authors don't kill off the antagonist in the first chapter. That just doesn't lead to a good story for the most part.

But at the same time every villain must have a down fall eventually, in my opinion. And sometimes losing is just as fun as winning. But not when you are just killed the first time you try to do something. Just give it a little time and let the story progress.

But this is all a very good point and needed to be said.
I remember my sister, very fond of transformers, telling me about one series in which every season ended with the villains winning a hell of a lot more than the main heroes did. That series went on like this, if it was ever cancelled, the villains would have won, though it did reach it's end and the heroes won of course, but I agree with Brian's statement, but would also like to add to not just make them win...make them a threat. A villain winning a bunch of battles that really don't do much isn't one you need to worry about. A villain that manages to make something happen out of the smallest of victories, and maybe doesn't care about his losses because his victory outweighs it, is truly a terrifying character.

Jazzper

Hi [Unsuspecting Comment], I'm Jazzper
Legend
Blessed
Jasper151627237
Jasper151627237
Legend
Azgir is mostly seen as a villain anyway :p

I did once have a char that was an antagonist's protagonist, if that makes sense...
A Red Knight that literally torched, raided, massacred and so on.
Though, she believed she was doing a good thing; she thought those people were bad.
A lot of people forget that you can make evil chars that do bad things with good intent.

Tot

Lord of Altera
Frosty
The_Tottot
The_Tottot
Frosty
Azgir is mostly seen as a villain anyway :p

I did once have a char that was an antagonist's protagonist, if that makes sense...
A Red Knight that literally torched, raided, massacred and so on.
Though, she believed she was doing a good thing; she thought those people were bad.
A lot of people forget that you can make evil chars that do bad things with good intent.
So everything James does

Balatro

Don't call it a comeback
Retired Staff
I'd love to see a team of villains rise. Or see gangs clash. Theres so much to be done with criminal and evil RP.

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I'd love to see a team of villains rise.
It would certainly be interesting.

Ddaug I think this is a good first look into villainous character options, and I had some responses to add but during writing it tangented to a number of other things so I will most likely turn that into a separate thread talking about how to make a fully fleshed out character.

Ddaug

Lord of Altera
It would certainly be interesting.

Ddaug I think this is a good first look into villainous character options, and I had some responses to add but during writing it tangented to a number of other things so I will most likely turn that into a separate thread talking about how to make a fully fleshed out character.
I look forward to seeing it! I know I barely scratched the surface on a fairly large topic, so I'm certain theres plenty more to discuss.

TheDeester

One so Bereft of Light
Lore Staff
Server Outreach
Evil
Staff
Shadow Hedgehog
Pronouns
He/Him
GrapeFlavDragons
GrapeFlavDragons
Evil
I've seen this quote used a few times so I can't credit it, but "Villains are born from excess of good intentions" is a favourite view of mine.

That said, there are people that are bad for the sake of being bad, but there's less fun in that. With that in mind, Doctor Doom is my favourite Marvel Villain.

kaza125

Lord of Altera
"The road to hell, is paved with good intention" -Handsome Jack.

Coming from someone who played a good guy, to then grey, then bad and grey again, I love this. Villains are an important part of the story, it's what makes the progotanists story so good.