Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Amusing Finding about trading iron

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
So, today we were just messing around and I posted in the trade chat about selling TONS of iron. Somebody challenged the meaning of that being like "what is the weight of an iron ingot?". After tons of arguing we led ourselves to the mathematical explanation that an iron block actually weighs exactly 100 pounds, which is crazy and hopefully can lead to an IC movement of purchasing iron in weight rather than "I'll have 17 large pieces of year finest Iron laddy". Here is how we came to this conclusion

- We deduced after a couple failed equations to base the weight of an iron ingot off of the equivalent volume measurements of a standard Real life Gold bar, seeing as that size is what most of us think of when referring to an iron or gold ingot, so we went from there.
-A standard gold bar (ingot) weighs approximately 12.4 kg
-From there, I found a ratio for the density difference per cubic meter in kilograms.
-One cubic meter of gold is 19320 kilograms
-One cubic meter of iron is 7850 kilograms
-From this I created the equation of approximately 2.46/1 for gold to iron conversion
-Then you simply just multiply the weight of the gold ingot (12.4) by 1/2.46 or just divide it by 2.46.....
-The following weight per iron ingot would be 5.04065 kg
-Multiply that by 9, getting 45.36585 kilos per iron bar
-Now here is the crazy part, just multiply that by the ratio for kilograms to pounds which is X2.20462
-the corresponding number is 100.014, which is the weight in pounds of one iron bar.
-Obviously my calculations are not perfect if you went down to like the 8th decimal point, so it isn't perfect, but basically 1 iron block is 100 pounds, which has great implications for RP measurement of iron in particular. yay!

I hope this may be used in the server and I hope it has helped to have a more authentic IC purchase of iron in particular.

-Emudude13, Yorrick Goldfist

Last edited:

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
I'm quite sure my measurements are correct....I found the weight of iron in the same exact volume as what a gold bar would be and equated the difference in density.

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
An iron block is 1m x 1m x 1m. There's your volume and the density of iron is already known. An iron ingot is 874kg and everyone is superhuman.

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
An iron block is 1m x 1m x 1m. There's your volume and the density of iron is already known. An iron ingot is 874kg and everyone is superhuman.
I told them this, apparently it's not as good a method :(

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
ok, I did a physics project based simply around figuring out the inertia of Steve when having on Gold armor and an entire inventory filled with full stacks of gold blocks, you made this WAY too complicated.
Though you also missed a step and that's examining specifically which Iron is being used based on the time period, which would be Wrought Iron (If not, then yo substitute the other iron for it in the equation)

Wrought Iron density is 7750 kg/m^3 this is easy to work with given blocks are (as Baron stated) 1m x 1m x 1m so each are in fact 7750 kg. (For my fellow americans out there, that's 8.5 tons)
Here's where it's easy.... divide it by 9 cause that's how many ingots make a block.
7750.0 / 9.0 = 860 (using sig figs cause unfortunate habits ;~; ) thus each ingot weighs in at a whopping ~860 kg or just under a ton.

The only problem with this equation is that, based on the look of ingots, it wouldn't make a block should all 9 ingots be put together, it'd make a trapezoidal, or rectangular, prism. Unless each ingot was actually part of the block melted down and LONGER than the block itself was to compensate for a lack of width and depth.
Did I miss anything?

Sadko

Lord of Altera
sadko12345
sadko12345
In reality, I think we can use ingots or blocks as merely props. Of course, the maximum weight is what is shown just now. But say, you can easily pass a golden block as something smaller if it suits your rp vision.

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
Um basically the ways all of you thought of have Very little sense via RP so I figured out the logical weight/mass of an iron ingot/bar and its correspond X9 iron block, not based on its actual dimensions in minecraft. Our method of determining this basing it off the dimensions of a normal gold ingot. This really does make a lot more sense, especially because it would not look like an iron ingot if you just did 1/9 of a cubic meter of iron or gold.

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
Also seeing as with trading, it also makes far more sense with RP. You would not sell 7750 kg of iron for the price we do. Also mining for 7750 kg of iron would take several days for an entire mining team most likely. While using the minecraft volume given for a block is technically correct, it has little sense in roleplay terms.

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
I mean think about it, if we based diamond selling off of 1 cubic meter of diamond, each diamond would be at least the size of a basketball.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
Pft, using kgs and lbs when there is the ever-so-elegant troy ounces at 31.1 g per oz instead avoirdupois ounces at 28.34 g.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
or we could just not worry about this since it's never been an issue before... plus
Um basically the ways all of you thought of have Very little sense via RP so I figured out the logical weight/mass of an iron ingot/bar and its correspond X9 iron block, not based on its actual dimensions in minecraft. Our method of determining this basing it off the dimensions of a normal gold ingot. This really does make a lot more sense, especially because it would not look like an iron ingot if you just did 1/9 of a cubic meter of iron or gold.
like I said, ingots wouldn't just be 1/9 of a block, they'd have the material of 1/9 of a block, but shaped in an ingot.
Also seeing as with trading, it also makes far more sense with RP. You would not sell 7750 kg of iron for the price we do. Also mining for 7750 kg of iron would take several days for an entire mining team most likely. While using the minecraft volume given for a block is technically correct, it has little sense in roleplay terms.
im not talking about selling Iron or other materials in increments of blocks, I was just correcting you on how much an ingot of iron weighs since your math was off

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
im not talking about selling Iron or other materials in increments of blocks, I was just correcting you on how much an ingot of iron weighs since your math was off
Actually, there is nothing we can do but theorise here (and so no maths is off or wrong) - there is nothing to say that an Iron Block, as shown in game, is a solid cube, as it could very well be hollow. This means that we can sort of assign any mass we want to an iron ingot, up to the maximum of 860kg.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
Actually, there is nothing we can do but theorise here (and so no maths is off or wrong) - there is nothing to say that an Iron Block, as shown in game, is a solid cube, as it could very well be hollow. This means that we can sort of assign any mass we want to an iron ingot, up to the maximum of 860kg.
I just realized why we shouldnt even be questioning anything like this, due to the fact that 3 of those blocks make part of an anvil, which is comparably smaller....

Jak

Magus of Nothing
Legend
I just realized why we shouldnt even be questioning anything like this, due to the fact that 3 of those blocks make part of an anvil, which is comparably smaller....
So we actually know they must be hollow! This is a good step; is there any way we can deduce the mass of an anvil?