Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An Amusing Finding about trading iron

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
So we actually know they must be hollow! This is a good step; is there any way we can deduce the mass of an anvil?
technically no as it would require us assuming something else is completely solid, but if we assume the iron block isn't, then we can't fully assume another thing isn't.

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
or we could just not worry about this since it's never been an issue before... plus

like I said, ingots wouldn't just be 1/9 of a block, they'd have the material of 1/9 of a block, but shaped in an ingot.

im not talking about selling Iron or other materials in increments of blocks, I was just correcting you on how much an ingot of iron weighs since your math was off
My math was not off. It was 100% correct to the role-play logic of comparable gold ingots. an ingot of iron would weigh 5.04kg if fitted to the dimensions of a standard gold bar, which is the size and shape a vast majority of us think of when looking at a gold or iron ingot in game. Then you can LOGICALLY deduce for the use of role-play that the size and value of an iron block is not based on the exact mine craft size of it, for that would be extremely impossible for any of our characters to have, especially blocks of them.

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
Pft, using kgs and lbs when there is the ever-so-elegant troy ounces at 31.1 g per oz instead avoirdupois ounces at 28.34 g.
and yes.....you are correct. However I do not believe that would be a fun conversion, if you even could, to iron.

CyberChaosV2

Lord of Altera
My math was not off. It was 100% correct to the role-play logic of comparable gold ingots. an ingot of iron would weigh 5.04kg if fitted to the dimensions of a standard gold bar, which is the size and shape a vast majority of us think of when looking at a gold or iron ingot in game. Then you can LOGICALLY deduce for the use of role-play that the size and value of an iron block is not based on the exact mine craft size of it, for that would be extremely impossible for any of our characters to have, especially blocks of them.
like I said, you have to assume certain units, and for this, we were assuming a block to be 1m x 1m x 1m. then, going off minecraft logic of 9 ingots making one block, it makes perfect sense. Literally the only way to get ingots the size you're talking about would be to change the recipe to requiring many more ingots. I'm not talking about calculating them for roleplay use, as we just say "Here's an ingot, imma smith it." im talking about actually calculating based on math and given details, not assuming other details. you're trying to figure out a measurement that I can guarantee, nobody is going to use because they've never needed it. I was figuring out if, in real life, there was a to scale Iron block in the world and we divided it up into 9 ingots. Yes, this would be incredibly large, yes it would illogically heavy, yes, it makes no sense to have ingots that size.... but this is the same game where (technically ICly) we can carry an entire inventory filled to the brim with Golden blocks which are the same size as the iron ones.

Lastly, I took another look at your calculations, you're etlling me about how I can't just divide a block into nine parts because they wouldnt be ingot shaped/sized, yet you yourself just used an equation of multiplying by nine to get a block, where I can argue that putting nine ingots together won't make anything remotely block shaped, there will be gaps, and it would resemble more of a rectangular prism, if that. plus, me and Jazzper can agree that ingots would not be the size of a gold bar, you'd have to constantly shave off material (Assuming your math to be correct) for most of the crafts you're making, if not chop off half of a hunk of the ingot. I understand where you were going with the logic, but wouldn't it have just been easier to find the normal dimensions of an iron ingot used now, or something like it that isn't gold; which is shaped the way it is purely for inconvenience as it's harder to steal, and then calculate it based on the weight of the normal Iron used in HW? (Which is Wrought Iron if i'm correct)

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
XD lol....I don't care obviously as much as certain other people....My way of calculation makes RP sense and I just found it quite interesting that an iron block or 9x iron ingots, according to the accurate specification of a gold bar and size, it comes out in calculation to nearly exactly 100 pounds.....haha but a lot of people enjoy stomping. I don't give one crap that mine craft specifications are 1 cubic meter....that doesn't make sense for RP lol so I wanted to try a different way of calculation, which at least for the ingot's mass/weight of 5.04kg makes sense.... so lol whatever. I'm glad people enjoy being right.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
There are way worse obfuscations we do than the weight of iron. Seriously don't make this the stone that breaks your suspension of disbelief.

Emudude13

Loyal Servant of Altera
There are way worse obfuscations we do than the weight of iron. Seriously don't make this the stone that breaks your suspension of disbelief.
lol fair enough. I just liked that it came out to exactly 100 pounds RANDOMLY from the calculations. It seemed cool at the time and I have very mild OCD so like the exact number got me all satisfied. But ya it's fine.