Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

An argument against wearing weapons of war around

Gregor

Lord of Altera
In my time in the server, I have seen greatswords being pulled from the back, and siege crossbows leisurely being carried around. And I have even seen polearms being carried around on backs
While, yes these weapons were used in the middle ages commonly, these weapons are weapons meant for war.

So what Gregor? Why shouldn't you carry them around when you're going to a tavern?

Simply because: You can't sheathe em. A greatsword is too large to put in a hip scabbard, you cannot put polearms on your back. In the medieval ages, these weapons were carried by carts and carried into combat by holding them in your hands.

Before you tell me that you can put these weapons in a scabbard on the back instead of on the hip, let me tell you this:

If a weapon were slung or placed in a scabbard upon the wearer's back, it would be unwieldy
This is simple geometry and physics right here.

Bladed weapons that are too unwieldy to draw from a hip scabbard would be far too clumsy to be drawn from an over the shoulder scabbard. These blades were unwieldy to draw from a shoulder position due to their length and awkwardness of the draw.

And now, onto crossbows and bows.

First, having a strung (cross)bow on your back at all times, may or may not be, bad for your bow.
Stop whipping it out like a pistol ready to shoot at all times. Second, stop carrying them around your back anyways. You know what happens when a bow or crossbow gets wet? They stop working very well. Its not that they instantly break and not function anymore, but it will certainly affect your bow.

And even if your bow manages to work while wet, arrows certainly wont appreciate being rained on, with the prevelance of water soluble glue in the middle ages, the fletching would probably suffer quite a bit if it was rained on.

So keep these in bags If you really insist on carrying these weapons around

skuller

Lord of Altera
You know what happens when a bow or crossbow gets wet? They stop working very well. Its not that they instantly break and not function anymore, but it will certainly affect your bow.
Was wondering how it damaged your bow? Not questioning if you're right or not just curious to how it actually effected it.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
Was wondering how it damaged your bow? Not questioning if you're right or not just curious to how it actually effected it.
I think it's related to the wood taking water in and being less flexible at first and then moisture eventually kicking in a little while after that

Gregor

Lord of Altera
Sadly, bow strings were a bit of a mystery because they were made out of perishable materials.

Modern archers put a layer of wax on their strings to keep them safe, but they didn't commonly do this in the medieval ages, and when the string gets wet your bow doesnt have the same power as a dry bow.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
It can work for great swords depending on how you mount the scabbard, not saying it would be easy but possible.
It would however not be mounted the way people probably imagine.

Could only test it with something that was 140 cm long though, which is the same length as a claymore. Couldn't find anything being 170 cm long to test out a Flamberge.

As for the crossbows I agree.

Edit: Ok Medieval 2h weapons were according to Wikipedia indeed only around 140 cm long, the 170 to 180 ones came up in the renaissance.

Last edited:

skuller

Lord of Altera
I think it's related to the wood taking water in and being less flexible at first and then moisture eventually kicking in a little while after that
Sadly, bow strings were a bit of a mystery because they were made out of perishable materials.

Modern archers put a layer of wax on their strings to keep them safe, but they didn't commonly do this in the medieval ages, and when the string gets wet your bow doesnt have the same power as a dry bow.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
Oh and since its related:
Proof that medieval Crossbows were not even half as effective against plate armor as people tend to believe ;)

Scardrac

Felsummer
to put basically

in real life. You want to defend yourself? You won't go around with a rocket propelled grenade. Even if it will over-do it.

simplyput

Gaby

Lord of Altera
people are too used to videogame logic methinks.
thank you Gregor for this thread. though i have a small question.

a regular one-handed longsword and a shield. how easy would it be to carry that around?

Scardrac

Felsummer
people are too used to videogame logic methinks.
thank you Gregor for this thread. though i have a small question.

a regular one-handed longsword and a shield. how easy would it be to carry that around?
It depends. Most round/center-grip shields don't have a strap to sling over your back. Some may. Arm-strap shields may. It depends on that.

As for swords. The scabbards themselves are entirely capable of having an attached belt to carry around on a hip. That would be the most convenient for "casual carry". There have been historical cases where the scabbard (wooden sheathe wrapped in leather, mind) was carried around in hand, not entirely attached to the hip. The main problem about it is carrying it around, letting it get wet in or out of its scabbard. With moisture on the blade, it can rust rather quickly (noticeable rust forms within a matter of 12-24 hours.) Especially if it is in the scabbard.

Onto another note.

If you let your sword go for too long in its scabbard, enough rust will form on the blade to eventually stick the blade inside the scabbard.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Still, though. Why would you carry around a shield?

I do know that if the entirety of the world allowed open carry for swords, they would certainly be more common for self defense.

Gaby

Lord of Altera
shields are useful, and so far, I haven't seen them get used in an actual battle.

I'm just thinking, a shield would be much more practical than full-body plate armor or a gigantic greatsword

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
On bows, yep, they can be a pain in the rear to use in certain weather conditions anyway.

Humidity, wind speed/direction, visibility, can affect both archer and gear. My science on the topic is hazy, but I can confirm from experience that even modern arrows/bowstrings tend to get a wee bit tempermental in particularly muggy/damp weather (thank you, Britain, for teaching me of this joy) and often will not loose as well. Trust me, I've had bruises from zigzagging bowstrings to prove it... >_>

kaza125

Lord of Altera
Right Gregor, while I do fully agree with you, I do think it's important to note that not a lot of people know about medieval history, new players and seasoned players roleplay on this server because they saw a film or played a game like Skyrim where it really inspired them to make there own fun.

So while I agree, I think everyone should take into account the environment for which the players originally got the idea to look for a roleplays server.
But these kind's of threads are good, because it raises awareness for the players about the factors they need to consider when roleplaying on a badass server.

The Courier

Lord of Altera
Half Sheathes be what Landir carries his claymore with. Only half of the blade is actually covered on his back. This obviously giving poor care for the claymore which is why I RP going indoors when it rains or having to put my cloak over the blade to try and at least stop the main flow of water to it.

It's hard to draw longsword from your back if you have it fully sheathed as Gregor had said, let alone a zweihander. Actually- Zweihanders were carried on the shoulder and never sheathed. This was because they were simply far too big to legitimately carry on a person. They were used in ceremonies when you wanted to flash the "Bigger Stick" around. As well for war and only then. Even with half sheathes his hard to get the blade fully in position than if you were to draw a blade from your hip.

A way to prove all this- Go outside, get a really big stick, try to extend it all the way above your shoulder quickly and fluently.

Protip: It won't work/is extremely clumsy and difficult.