Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

an observation about current roleplay

matyio

The original mute
This is the third time I've made this point and probably the third time everyone is going to ignore it. In certain situations thoughts can make a difference. Example:
*grins wildly* so, you think you can stop me from harming this sheep?
*grins wildly* {I am invincible, unstoppable} so, you think you can stop me from harming this sheep?

From the fist. The only message conveyed is that the character is mad. With the thought added it shows how mad the character is, and how they are going to be acting, because a mad person is different from a mad person who thinks his is invincible and unstoppable. In voice, posture, and a whole manner of other things.

Markisbeest

Lord of Altera
*grins wildly, as if he could take on the whole world* so, you think you can stop me from harming this sheep?
Says the exact same, yet doesn't force people to be mind readers.

matyio

The original mute
Not really, but I'm not going to argue anymore. I was trying to help, I never said what you were doing was wrong, but obviously you just want to argue with me, so lets shift to a different topic since there are some among us who want to make everyone stick to absolutely a single style of rp. In my eyes they could have done it marks way or my way, bit do convey a similar message. However marks is for less experienced rpers, and mine is for more advanced rpers, happy now? Good then shut up about it.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Not really, but I'm not going to argue anymore. I was trying to help, I never said what you were doing was wrong, but obviously you just want to argue with me, so lets shift to a different topic since there are some among us who want to make everyone stick to absolutely a single style of rp. In my eyes they could have done it marks way or my way, bit do convey a similar message. However marks is for less experienced rpers, and mine is for more advanced rpers, happy now? Good then shut up about it.
1) Telling people to 'Shut Up About it', especially certain people like me, is the absolute worst way to try and end any form of discussion. It's the exact opposite of what to do in that regard.

2) I'm sorry, but I simply disagree. There are very, very few situations wherein projecting a character's thoughts makes a better RP that expressing those thoughts in expressions and actions. One is an out-of-character and metagamey way of giving information, one is an in-character way.

matyio

The original mute
1) Telling people to 'Shut Up About it', especially certain people like me, is the absolute worst way to try and end any form of discussion. It's the exact opposite of what to do in that regard.

2) I'm sorry, but I simply disagree. There are very, very few situations wherein projecting a character's thoughts makes a better RP that expressing those thoughts in expressions and actions. One is an out-of-character and metagamey way of giving information, one is an in-character way.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that in such a hostile way, I do however think people should discontinue the discussion as it is obvious it will get nowhere. I still believe that in certain situations they can be useful. Still no one should count my opinion, it always seems to be wrong.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that in such a hostile way, I do however think people should discontinue the discussion as it is obvious it will get nowhere. I still believe that in certain situations they can be useful. Still no one should count my opinion, it always seems to be wrong.
Discussions do not necessarily have to reach an absolute agreement or conclusion... That's kind of the point of having a discussion; to explore, share and evaluate your own ideas, and the ideas of others.
Rather than everyone arguing for the sake of arguing, can we just try to debate the matter without verbally axe murdering each others' opinions?

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Either way, I still find {} extremely useful and helpful, because I prefer to use it to **ing my emotions. Different people could see this as forcing a meta-game, but it helps explain the emotion I'd be showing on my face when I can't using **. In other words, I often see {} as an alternative. For example, if I said 'What do you want?*seems annoyed*' then people would think I was annoyed. But if what I really meant was 'What do you want?{here comes yet another person to make my day worse}' then people would perceive that I was in a bad mood, which is perceivable through emotions. Whereas with the earlier example, one could only tell that I was annoyed, which is only one of the emotions I'm showing.
I also believe that ** can be used just as much for meta-gaming as {}. For example: yesterday Naelwyn was hiding a shield behind his back. But if he was hiding it, and he was a certain distance away, nobody would be able to see it. This could also be what you call 'forcing a meta-game'.
(no offence nael)

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
For example, if I said 'What do you want?*seems annoyed*' then people would think I was annoyed. But if what I really meant was 'What do you want?{here comes yet another person to make my day worse}' then people would perceive that I was in a bad mood, which is perceivable through emotions. Whereas with the earlier example, one could only tell that I was annoyed, which is only one of the emotions I'm showing.
A couple of things.

1. The tone of your writing alone transmits your emotion. If you were to say "What do you want?" after I gave a cheery hello, then obviously you're in a sour mood, no need for *'s or {}'s or anything.

2. There is no difference between *seems annoyed* and explaining why he is annoyed. In the end, all the other characters see is the expression on your face, which would hardly be any different no matter what the annoyance. Explanation is not emotion.

3. *seems annoyed* is better for the other roleplayer than {long explanation of why I'm annoyed} because if I were to walk up to you irl on the street, I could see that you are annoyed in some fashion, but I wouldn't know why. You are forcing me to know things my character couldn't possibly know, so I'm going to have to ask you why you are annoyed anyways just to avoid metagaming, wasting both your time and mine. Or, worse yet, my character doesn't give a damn about you being annoyed, at which point you're simply wasting your own time.

Typing out roleplay is slow enough as is. Let's not waste any of each others time while we're at it.

matyio

The original mute
A couple of things.

1. The tone of your writing alone transmits your emotion. If you were to say "What do you want?" after I gave a cheery hello, then obviously you're in a sour mood, no need for *'s or {}'s or anything.

2. There is no difference between *seems annoyed* and explaining why he is annoyed. In the end, all the other characters see is the expression on your face, which would hardly be any different no matter what the annoyance. Explanation is not emotion.

3. *seems annoyed* is better for the other roleplayer than {long explanation of why I'm annoyed} because if I were to walk up to you irl on the street, I could see that you are annoyed in some fashion, but I wouldn't know why. You are forcing me to know things my character couldn't possibly know, so I'm going to have to ask you why you are annoyed anyways just to avoid metagaming, wasting both your time and mine. Or, worse yet, my character doesn't give a damn about you being annoyed, at which point you're simply wasting your own time.

Typing out roleplay is slow enough as is. Let's not waste any of each others time while we're at it.
All I have to say to that is, have you noticed how you like different when you're annoyed about say a friend arguing with you, than when your football team has lost a match. In both of those cases your annoyed, and would show it, but you'd be showing it more after an argument with a friend.

Spark

Broken
All I have to say to that is, have you noticed how you like different when you're annoyed about say a friend arguing with you, than when your football team has lost a match. In both of those cases your annoyed, and would show it, but you'd be showing it more after an argument with a friend.
But the other person wouldn't know for what reason they are annoyed.

matyio

The original mute
But the other person wouldn't know for what reason they are annoyed.
That's not what I was saying, I was saying you walk and act differently. Lets say I just had an argument with my friend, I'd be moody, not talk a lot, that sort of stuff. But if my team had lost I'd be more talkative, yeah I'd still look annoyed, but not as much as I would be after having an argument with a friend. This is also why it should be left for advanced rpers, because less experienced rpers wouldn't be able to read that.

matyio

The original mute
tone of writing?
That is something I think everyone has overlooked. Hmmm can I think up any examples at all?.. Not really, but this is better than what anybody else has suggested in my opinion. Because it means if you want your character to be annoyed, write in an annoyed manner, if you want them to be happy, write in a happy manner.

Spark

Broken
matyio said:
That's not what I was saying, I was saying you walk and act differently. Lets say I just had an argument with my friend, I'd be moody, not talk a lot, that sort of stuff. But if my team had lost I'd be more talkative, yeah I'd still look annoyed, but not as much as I would be after having an argument with a friend. This is also why it should be left for advanced rpers, because less experienced rpers wouldn't be able to read that.
You wouldn't be able to tell what someone was annoyed about! If someone looks really angry, you wouldn't be able to think "damn he looks upset, his cat must have died". He could think anything was wrong, whereas adding the {} just shows it without any visual signs, which is pointless.

matyio

The original mute
You wouldn't be able to tell what someone was annoyed about! If someone looks really angry, you wouldn't be able to think "damn he looks upset, his cat must have died". He could think anything was wrong, whereas adding the {} just shows it without any visual signs, which is pointless.
Again not what I was saying, is it the way I'm saying it? Or is it the way you interpret it? I'm not going to try again cause its obvious something will be wrong with one of us.

Kingsmill77

Villager
I personally do not read {} they, like others have said, give too much information to me and in effect my char (i'm not the best rper). People, i think, could write them if they want but it shouldn't be used to show physical reactions because that is what ** is for.