Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Banned for "Use of dark magic"? [Resolved]

Levi_Shankn

Loyal Servant of Altera
I believe there is a problem here, my character and in my entire time in Altera, I have never used or been around people that have used magic in any way other than mods/admins. I was not kicked or banned yesterday for anything and I log in today and it says I have been banned for "Use of Dark Magic." Either I've been set up for something or have been accused of doing this, because I have no memory of any event that could have lead up to this. I have contacted Scardrac and Cubey on the matter of becoming a Corrupted or Acolyte to the demons but never considered magic, just becoming a minion. I feel someone saw this and considered it me using dark magic when I was talking to mod/admins about joining them through their powers and not that of my own. Please reconsider my ban, I received no warning or notice about why I was banned until I logged in and was denied access to the server.
Thank you.

Kvothe

Guildmaster
Retired Staff
To us, Dark Magic is no such thing as RP-based, but we call Dark magic x-raying or using client hacks to gain an unfair advantage over the other players.

Having that said, you were banned for x-ray, by Boulderpaul, he will get back to you.
levi_shankn Dark Magic is forbidden in Altera! Boulderpaul 04 Apr, 2013 7:33am Permanent

Moving to the correct forums.

Levi_Shankn

Loyal Servant of Altera
Even more so, I'm confused on how I am accused of even having a client hack when I don't have them at all. The closest thing I have is a forge mod-loader I use on my single player server for Slender mods and Balkins weapon mod. If I tried to join the server with the mod-loader and/or mods activated, the server ends my stream connection. Also, my texture pack claimed to be an x-ray texture pack is the one provided by the server, the one -made- by Boulderpaul.

Boulderpaul

Lord of Westray
Here we call the use of client-side hacks or x- ray texture packs "Dark Magic". As noted in the thread here we use a plugin called Hawkeye which logs almost every action on the server. Using this tool and our experience, we know when people are cheating to mine ore and the mining you did yesterday was very obvious.

When we suspect anyone of x-raying, we make sure there is ample proof before banning. We don't just ban if we think someone is cheating. We usually get at least 6 examples of the person x-raying ore before we are satisfied there is enough proof, in your case I got 15 examples of xray use just from the mining done yesterday.

78756172 2013-04-03 16:59:20 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -117,7,4122 Diamond Ore
78759748 2013-04-03 17:06:48 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 4,7,4135 Diamond Ore
78755573 2013-04-03 16:58:21 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -122,7,4121 Glowing Redstone Ore
78759370 2013-04-03 17:06:09 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 3,7,4126 Redstone Ore
78763146 2013-04-03 17:13:42 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -24,5,4136 Glowing Redstone Ore
78764463 2013-04-03 17:17:23 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -62,7,4141 Glowing Redstone Ore
78765252 2013-04-03 17:19:17 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -97,7,4140 Glowing Redstone Ore
78765939 2013-04-03 17:20:54 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -130,7,4141 Glowing Redstone Ore
78754836 2013-04-03 16:56:58 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -140,7,4127 Iron Ore
78757125 2013-04-03 17:01:16 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -87,6,4125 Iron Ore
78757637 2013-04-03 17:02:30 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -53,7,4124 Iron Ore
78763803 2013-04-03 17:15:47 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -27,5,4135 Iron Ore
78764832 2013-04-03 17:18:19 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -89,7,4140 Iron Ore
78765484 2013-04-03 17:19:51 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -106,7,4140 Iron Ore
78765661 2013-04-03 17:20:23 Levi_Shankn Block Break Frontier4 -118,7,4141 Iron Ore

Levi_Shankn

Loyal Servant of Altera
There is a mineshaft near the entrance to the frontier, a free unowned mining shaft. There was already a hole dug into layers of the ground going down into the bed rock. I merely followed the tunnel down and did a series of holes in the sides of the wall looking for any ores. I happened to run into these materials and did by no mean use x-ray clients. I mined them using this already built mineshaft.
I am now aware on why you think I am hacking and would like to explain how I obtained these materials.

Levi_Shankn

Loyal Servant of Altera
Further more, how is this proof that I was using an x-ray client. I do not intent to anger you and am trying to help you guys on the forum to understand. Any person can go mining and find these materials through the vast dungeons and tunnel systems already made. I happened to use these tunnels to find these materials. Just because I found diamond does not mean I am a hacker. I can even show you where I found these materials and how I acquire them.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Staff members can use certain tools in-game that help them determine whether things have been found using X-Ray or not. We use a rollback feature to see if the ores you dug up were visible or not when you mined them.

Levi_Shankn

Loyal Servant of Altera
As I am aware of this by now, and has been explained to me by the links, but I am not a hacker. Yes these materials were not visible. Yes, I dug them up and understand that Hawkeye logged them. There is a specific pattern I use to mine, it's very useful in finding ores, but it does not make me a hacker.

Yoda

Lord of Altera
Having a random mining pattern can often bring luck, but not as much luck as we've found on Hawkeye. :confused:

Levi_Shankn

Loyal Servant of Altera
Confused again here, how could they not be found the way I mined? It's a simple method, poke a hole in the wall every two to three blocks until you cannot dig any further from your position and see if any ores show up on all sides of the hole. I'm lucky to have found close to 3 veins of diamond and it is the same method I use other than exploring dungeons mining ores visible off the walls. That and almost all of the diamonds I found were in the already built mining shaft in one of the frontiers. I promise you that you can find the same location I was at and believe me. The tunnels seem to go on forever in straight lines, it's just a matter of expanding them.

Faelin

The Court Jester
Retired Staff
No, I'm not involved in this directly, but I feel the need to stop you damaging your chances or ever being unbanned, slim as they might me.

The number of X-Ray appeals that I have watched in which people have protested their innocence fruitlessly until the bitter end is very high, and I can tell you now that nearly all of them were lying, and this did not work wonders for their defence.

If you want my advice, and if you value your place on this server, you'll apologise properly to the admins for x-raying and lying before you dig yourself in deeper. Pun most definitely intended.

Levi_Shankn

Loyal Servant of Altera
Putting this all aside, thank you for looking over this. But seeing as I'm not making any headwind on explaining how I acquired such ores I might as well give up.

(Yes I know there is an edit button but this will alert you)

I guess I'll look elsewhere for another server. If you happen to look over this and review it, finding that I was telling the truth, please contact me. In the meantime I got work to go to and will not be able to hear your feedback till another time

And please do send feedback, knowing if I can come back into your guy's awesome community would really be nice. Even if it is just saying "Nope, still banned" ;)

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
You may appeal in 3 months time, at which point your case will be reconsidered based on what you tell us in the appeal. It's a shame to see you go. You were an excellent roleplayer.

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Hang on.

I helped to confirm this ban and I hate to admit when I'm wrong.

But I'd rather be wrong than lose a perfectly good player. Levi, I made a mistake and learnt a lot I should have already known. It was my mistake, we haven't seen an xrayer in so long, it seems we were getting rusty and assumed it was.

I am sorry, and I hope you can return without holding any grudges against us.

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
I know I'm not directly involved, but I feel that my input is valid here, I too use the same technique. I saw it in a video one time and it means I can mine really fast and get lots of ores. you dig a 1x2xy tunnel where y is how long your tunnel is. you dig one small tunnel thats 1x1xz where z is your maximum reach. You do this ever 3rd block so it looks like this: (O is a dug block, + is a non dug block) O++O++O++O. this means you can see the maximum amount of blocks with the minimum amount of time.

Just thought I'd say that.

Remove this if you wish but I thought it was valid

-K9

SallyPirate

Lord of Altera
Completely valid, what threw me and boulderpaul off was when there were holes 2x2 in the wall and Levi walked up to the wall at this point and dug into the wall as far as he could reach, co-incedentally getting a diamond or another ore everytime this happened.

It was my mistake for not seeing the pattern, or even realising a player would do that. It never crossed my mind x_x.. as I said, we haven't seen an xrayer for a long time, but this has taught us an important lesson to always double, and triple check.. and if not sure, ask a player :p

K9

Triangles are my favourite shape
Crafter
Retired Staff
K9_Diarmuid
K9_Diarmuid
Crafter
Don't worry, I also got warned on the first server I did it on, not many people know of it but once you see it in action you understand, but I don't blame you guys for deeming it suspicious, it gives you lots of ores. But there is still a chance he is an X-rayer, I just know tfw when people think it and it's incorrect. Ya know? But yeah it's not up to me whether or not he should be unbanned, but if he is unbanned and I was an admin/mod I'd be wary of the Black Magick he could be using. I'm glad you guys actually listen to the people here, it makes me reassured that everything is fair.

Again, you can remove this if you deem it invalid.

-K9

mineturtletrap

Lord of Altera
Um... i use the exact same technique when i mine to cover the most amount of area for the blocks im mining. I often hit ores at the very ends of the tunnels going off to the side -_-
I understand the reasons for thinking that this player was X-raying but a player should be given the chance to explain the pattern in the computer logs before he/she is banned. That way these things shouldn't have to happen. It makes me jumpy thinking I could be banned for hitting a few good ore veins; especially if I am not going to be given any chance to explain myself before I am banned.
I hope Levi looks at the thread again, it would be a shame to see a player go for this

Boulderpaul

Lord of Westray
Levi, I apologise profusely for the mistake.

It is entirely my fault for jumping to conclusions and not double checking the logs like I normally do. I thought the small side tunnels had been made with the original tunnel and should have checked them to make sure. I sincerly hope you do come back to the server, we hate losing good players.

For everyone else, this situation WILL NOT happen again so I can assure you that noone will be getting punished just for their mining style.

Again, sincere apologies to Levi and we all hope to see you ingame soon.

- Boulder