Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Concerning the Empty Chest glitch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqueeGurl

Le Original Queen
I'm posting this here to thwart anymore complaints and 'spam' on the forums and in chat about the chest wipes.

Firstly and foremost, you have not been griefed or robbed. It seems this is an issue on more than one server, with very few things in common with another. The issue itself lies within the Vanilla (i.e. No Mods) version of Minecraft. What is happening is, when you leave a chunk, rather than reload properly, the chunk reloads, but erases signs and empties chests. There is no known fix to this as of right now.

Some suspected Lockette, some suspected Bukkit. Neither of these are fact. Jeb of the Mojang team is aware of the problem, but because Mojang is pushing so hard for the 1.8 release, they are not releasing a 1.7.4 to fix the issue (if they've even figured out how, yet). Bukkit developers are however, looking into it, but as their job isn't to debug Mojang Minecraft code, I hold no breath for them to fix it before Mojang does themselves.

While some are suggesting that the use of 'older chests', i.e. those that are more than two weeks old, will save your items, I'm venturing out on a limb here and suggesting that it's pure luck that's kept those chests free from wipes. Those chunks are likely kept loaded longer, occupied and used, resulting in a lack of wipes. This is only my speculation on the matter, as I am not a game developer, nor do I have a solid understanding of code, but from what I've read, it seems to be the case.

AdventureCraft encountered a similar issue, and were able to contact Jeb about a fix, which in the end did not fix the issue, at least as far as I can tell by the conversation found here. I thank Betty for dropping me on the path to that thread with her own link to this one here.

We're doing what we can, but admittedly it's not much. We can't replace every single one of your items, as the spawn spam would bog down the server. What I can suggest is to move your chest of valuables to a more 'active' area of town, or of the server, and hope that the chunk load gods are kind.

I hope this helps, or at least keep you all aware of what's going on.

90% of this post is Opinion, the other 10% has been drawn from the Bukkit Forum, so I'm not sure what percentage of it is 100% correct. At the very least, we now sort of have an explanation for the problem.

Tantara

Resigned Admin
Thanks for the info, I'm going to make sure that I spread out my valuables through various chests in different areas

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Ok to all of you who are worried about losing items there are several precautions to take
-spread out items over several chunks, so if one gets wiped you dont lose everything
-keep your most valuable items in your inventory when you logg out
-Do not store thing in the virtual shop!

ill edit with more if i think of them

cherbert

Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Founder
Retired Staff
If someone can find out if there is a virtual chest kind of plugin that might offer a short term solution to this problem please link to it here. Make sure its #1000 compatible.

I'm a bit busy right now to look myself but if its suitable I will consider putting it on short term.

Master Pheonix

Lord of Altera
The empty chest glitch happened to me quite a while back now to me but I only lost building materials, which I did not mind too much. It was still an inconvenience but its kinda like falling into a lava pit after you just mined 6 diamond with your new diamond pick, you're annoyed but you just get back out there and find some more diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies.