Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

'Could not connect to server.' error in launcher.

ToastySpam

Chairman of the Procrastination Committee
Legend
ToastySpam
ToastySpam
Legend
I have been unable to log in to Minecraft through the launcher (both new and old) for a couple days now. Whenever I attempt to do so, it comes up with this error:Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 22.40.10.png

There isn't a lot of support for this problem online, and I tried everything that I did find (e.g. restarting computer/router, waiting 30mins) short of emailing Mojang, none of which worked. Minecraft is allowed through my firewall.

I am trying emailing Mojang right now, but my connection to their website is ridiculously slow for some reason, despite my connections elsewhere being fine. No page loads properly, and I have been waiting for a few minutes for the next page to load after clicking the button to send a support ticket, with a suspicion that I will receive another error here also. I have a feeling that these things are connected.

Hoping that someone here might know how to fix this?

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
Does anyone else use your computer? Use a ping test in the terminal to see how you connect to Mojang and it's auth servers.

It may be the case that Mojang has been blocked in your hosts file or router. If you don't control the hardware ask the person who does.

ToastySpam

Legend
ToastySpam
ToastySpam
Legend
Does anyone else use your computer?
Nope.

Use a ping test in the terminal to see how you connect to Mojang and it's auth servers.
Did a ping for mojang.com, it came back with 56 data bytes. After that, terminal kept giving me the 'Request timeout for icmp_seq' and then a number for however many times it had given me the message.

ToastySpam

Legend
ToastySpam
ToastySpam
Legend
Hate bumping stuff, but doing it just cause I haven't found any solutions

Samiwashere

Soul stealer
Retired Staff
Samiwashere
Samiwashere
Legend
Sometimes you have to go into the advanced settings of your router and block/unblock certain things or set up new connections. Also have you tried different types of launchers? MultiMC?
(I am not that good with computers but I wanted to try and help ;-: )

Sir Arc

Lord of Altera
Mystic
Sir_Arc
Sir_Arc
Mystic
Like Sami I'm terrible at cp's and stuff in general, but have you tried logging into a different device? Laptops or other computers?

ToastySpam

Legend
ToastySpam
ToastySpam
Legend
Sometimes you have to go into the advanced settings of your router and block/unblock certain things or set up new connections. Also have you tried different types of launchers? MultiMC?
(I am not that good with computers but I wanted to try and help ;-: )
No worries, any help is appreciated :) I have, at least as far as I'm aware, unblocked incoming connections to MC, but I haven't tried any other launchers, so I'll look up MultiMC, thanks.

Like Sami I'm terrible at cp's and stuff in general, but have you tried logging into a different device? Laptops or other computers?
No, I haven't tried this, and its a good suggestion, but I don't really have access to any other devices, at least not any with MC installed. :(

ToastySpam

Legend
ToastySpam
ToastySpam
Legend
Okay, well I'm not sure what exactly fixed it but mc seems to be working fine for me again (for now anyway).

Thanks to all who came out of their way to provide suggestions and try to help, I appreciate it :heart: