Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Currency Exchange Proposal

Baron

Sovereign
Retired Staff
I'm thinking that to make different currencies exchangeable, since nobody wants to use a unified currency, is to invent a method of exchange.

My idea is to base currency exchange directly off the economy rating (/100 one), which provides a fast and easy comparison of how your money measures up to other currencies.

Having a 50/100 rating and exchanging to a 75/100 rating is equivalent to a 5:7.5 exchange. Trading from a currency at 100/100 (Frightening) to 1/100 (Imploded) is a 100:1 rate. Since most nations are similar in their economic ratings, exchanges will only have minor value differences. And in the border case of a 0/100 economy rating, your money is useless for exchange because you clearly aren't using money but some form of primitive barter system.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I'm thinking that to make different currencies exchangeable, since nobody wants to use a unified currency, is to invent a method of exchange.

My idea is to base currency exchange directly off the economy rating (/100 one), which provides a fast and easy comparison of how your money measures up to other currencies.

Having a 50/100 rating and exchanging to a 75/100 rating is equivalent to a 5:7.5 exchange. Trading from a currency at 100/100 (Frightening) to 1/100 (Imploded) is a 100:1 rate. Since most nations are similar in their economic ratings, exchanges will only have minor value differences. And in the border case of a 0/100 economy rating, your money is useless for exchange because you clearly aren't using money but some form of primitive barter system.
@Scardrac
*gigglesnort*

Fourth world scar

Lord_Sinclair

Lord of Altera
Actually, an arbitrary exchange rate is unnecessary.

As it turns out, http://www.broomdces.com/nseconomy/ gives currency exchange rates, in comparison to the U.S. Dollar, for every nation. We could use some nation's currency to replace the Dollar and re-calculate all the rates, but I'd say that site is the easiest, most accurate way to calculate our exchange rates and such.

Scardrac

Felsummer
Boom. I still think that this method could be a basic "first-hand" vague look at exchance rates when you don't want to go to the website and all that.

LightTwig

Lord of Altera
I'm an idiot, can someone explain how a currency is more valuable than another? I'm trading with Diaedor, where 1 Harmel = $0.19, whereas 1 Lin (my currency) = $0.55

I have a stronger economy stat so I assume my currency is worth more, but if someone wanted to explain this to me like I was a child then I'd appreciate it.

Valonyx

Lord of Altera
I'm an idiot, can someone explain how a currency is more valuable than another? I'm trading with Diaedor, where 1 Harmel = $0.19, whereas 1 Lin (my currency) = $0.55

I have a stronger economy stat so I assume my currency is worth more, but if someone wanted to explain this to me like I was a child then I'd appreciate it.
Well if you take the Dollar as a basis, your currency simply is worth 0.36 more times then the Harmel is;

Lin = 0.55 of a dollar
Harmel = 0.19 of a dollar

which means; that a single (1) Harmel is worth 0.3454 Lins, if you do basic calculations;

Lin = 1Lin
Harmel = 0.3454Lin