Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Dear Poster Posters in CR

LeftwardElk

Lord of Altera
I don't think people should be allowed to tear down posters. People take time to write the post to get the information they need to the people when the other party can just "Tear the poster down." So they don't look as bad.

Pirapple

Lord of Altera
Yes it would be nice to see posters in game, but does it really matter? You can put more detail into a forum thread, with drawings, cool fonts, etc. It's more easily accessible, easier to read. It would be nice to put them in game as well, but it's not really a big enough deal to make a fuss over. There's no "risk" of your character being caught putting posters in the message board.
There is a risk if the character is wanted.
so are you saying all the rp that has occurred on the forum's is null and void?
And I'm not saying that the entire poster should be on the ingame thing, I'm just saying that the ingame thing could have a summary with a link to the forum thread if possible. That way we don't have people on the forums coming over to rip down posters and vandalize without a person actually going to the poster and doing that. If you're not willing to go out and actually put up the poster yourself ingame, then it should not be posted on the forums. All I care about is that there is a thing with ingame rp to do it.

Different example. Let's say I went to the crossroads and set the storage room on fire, burning down the entirety of the crossroads. Could I do that on the forums? No, because that is overpowered. I can't have responses for my actions. Right now, there are 40 people online. 9 are at the crossroads. Anyone of them probably could stop me from burning down the crossroads. But if I did this 8 hours from now, I could feasibly burn down the entire crossroads, because no one would be online to stop me. That is overpowered, much like me going on the forums and posting that I burned down the crossroads. I can't make a significant change with no one online, much like I couldn't on the forums.

I didn't phrase that all that well, but to put it in a few words, your character is not a god. He or she needs to act and also react to actions, and if you make an action that really could not be reacted to, it's a by the book definition of powergaming.

Spark

Broken
It would be cool if the message board was closer to the bar worker, that way there would be a reason for people not being able to tear down posters, since currently doing so has no possible penalty and kinda wastes people's time when making a thread or book.

@Pirapple

Thats completely irrelevant. Being wanted is a risk in itself and not a result or risk of tearing down a poster, which can be a completely OOC action or can be done without emoting in game. Also, the crossroads isn't always busy enough for emoting to have an effect.

Also your example is on a completely different level to simply putting up a poster.

Last edited:

Rosary_Omen

Lord of Altera
Legend
Pronouns
He/Him
Rosary_Omen
Rosary_Omen
Legend
There is a risk if the character is wanted.

And I'm not saying that the entire poster should be on the ingame thing, I'm just saying that the ingame thing could have a summary with a link to the forum thread if possible. That way we don't have people on the forums coming over to rip down posters and vandalize without a person actually going to the poster and doing that. If you're not willing to go out and actually put up the poster yourself ingame, then it should not be posted on the forums. All I care about is that there is a thing with ingame rp to do it.

Different example. Let's say I went to the crossroads and set the storage room on fire, burning down the entirety of the crossroads. Could I do that on the forums? No, because that is overpowered. I can't have responses for my actions. Right now, there are 40 people online. 9 are at the crossroads. Anyone of them probably could stop me from burning down the crossroads. But if I did this 8 hours from now, I could feasibly burn down the entire crossroads, because no one would be online to stop me. That is overpowered, much like me going on the forums and posting that I burned down the crossroads. I can't make a significant change with no one online, much like I couldn't on the forums.

I didn't phrase that all that well, but to put it in a few words, your character is not a god. He or she needs to act and also react to actions, and if you make an action that really could not be reacted to, it's a by the book definition of powergaming.
People still respond to the poster threads :| Posting a poster is far from powergaming...

dUMMY

Dead Man Walking
Dummyplug
Dummyplug
Forums:
Player1 posts a poster
Player2 tears it down.
Everyone reads it anyway.

IG:
Player1 posts a poster
Player2 tears it down
Nobody reads it

NinjaTangerine

Lord of Altera
By that reasoning you could just have someone watch the boards and tear down every and all posters that go up as soon as they're there, so no one makes a profit apart from the poster remover.

>Why is this a thing? Why are people arguing that roleplay shouldn't be occuring? The only thing forum posters/whatever do is cause roleplay - it allows for characters to believe certain information, formulate opinions etc, I'm pretty sure if it were solely limited to the IG boards, it'd do barely any of these.

FrostGuardian

Lord of Altera
Legend
FrostGuardian
FrostGuardian
Legend
One might claim to restore the posters just as easily as one might dare to take them down. Evidently, the actions would cancel one another and ultimately would result in naught. The forums is of course, an entirely viable medium through which one can convey in character knowledge. I have observed that there is a distinct lack meticulous criticism directed towards posters advertising roleplay events; none have come forth to say that an advertiser of a particular event are "powergaming" by nailing glorified stationery to a board in the Crossroads. Perhaps if one were feeling rather keenly investigative, one might deduce that there is a reason as to why this is so. If not, I will explicitly state the reason, the reason being that it would be absolutely ridiculous to crucify a player for devoting the time to conjure up these posters which, quite frankly, incite very interesting roleplay.

I am not arguing against plastering the posters in game per se, as I believe it would be fairly convenient of them to do so, though it is not terribly necessary, but rather, am arguing against publicly tar and feathering them over petty matters such as these. Do I sense a bit of bias? Regardless, it is not my place to explore the implications of any such "bias", as I intend to uphold some semblance of politeness towards the original poster by not having his thread closed as a result of my brash opinions. Dummy, I appreciate what you have pointed out in the original post. I do not believe you are at fault here, I would only ask that the post would seem less mocking. As for some of the others, I am appalled as to what I am reading, and take this slight very seriously.

In the future, I hope to see that players aren't denounced as being "lazy" when they have clearly invested a considerable amount of effort.

Scardrac

Felsummer
You can't take people's post down from the board anyways.

That being said, I don't think it really matters if people don't get caught tearing them down? People don't realistically put one poster up. It's not like if somebody tears down a poster, the entire crossroads will be cutthroat and try and murder the guy.

Forum RP can translate into ingame RP. I've put my say in, because it's outright ridiculous to have such a strict rule that anything on the forums cannot whatsoever be part of the in-game world. Remind you now that there are also recruitment posters and invitation pamphlets also put up on the forums. So saying that forum RP =/= Ingame RP is just biased.