Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Disputing my ban [Denied - Ced]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
My ban as it has been explained to me, was breaking rules 18. and 19. Disrupting the harmony of hollowworld and inciting drama storms, and meta-gaming.

I shall start with the most glaring one I can see, "Meta-gaming". I'll start by saying the ruling of this accusation was in of itself flawed. I was told upon reaching a destination I had been icly searching for that having been able to find it constituted as "meta-gaming" without the need to check logs or get facts.

Simply put, I had been told to search north for a group, and so my character did. I steered myself north, and went in as close a straight line as I could, while making random turns left or right to simulate "bad navigation". After a while, I had landed on the first landmass large enough to be considered a continent and I started with my best guess of the way to head, which was north east, due to the fact I had to go quite a ways west to get there in the first place. In addition to this, I added my character's bias towards cliffs, and started following the top of the cliffs.

Once the cliff steered me southward, I had recieved a PM from a player telling me I was heading into "unknown territory awfully suspicious", and I took that to mean my curve towards south was putting me right in the direction of the group. I turned around, and went north east instead, where I was then told that my current location implicated me as meta-gaming, and had my entire trip retconned. Later logs were checked, and without a single piece of evidence shared with me I was told to never attempt to seek out the group in RP again.

This reason has many holes in it, the first being that I. Did. Not. Meta-game. As simple as it gets, I did nothing wrong, I simply went in the direction I was told, and without using any maps, dynamaps, or previous ooc information, blindly searched the area until I was told to stop searching in certain directions. I had no idea that this tip was not accurate, and it was not my fault it steered me towards their camp on accident. I simply could not know.

Rules 18 and 19 being broken are fairly accurate. I had grown frustrated and furious over several issues and let myself go into OOC to complain. Shortly afterwards being told to take it to a private conversation. I had gotten tired of my words falling on deaf, or simply uncaring ears, and I tried reaching out in a less than private way, which while not appropriate, was something I felt was justified at the time. I don't feel completely in the right, however I think the issues leading up to these rules being broken and not acknowledged should be considered, before I am banned for being the one to bring them to public eye.

However, the major reason I dispute this now is not to dispute my breaking of rules 18. or 19. The reason I dispute this is that the solution being to ban me will not work. I have been told that "I need a break from the server, so I can reflect on how i'm perceived, and fix issues while away from the players". This is completely contradictory. If I am to see how i'm perceived, and fix the issues of my perception, I need to be able to interact with those perceiving me. Otherwise I am simply left without the ability to RP for a month, and watch while everyone else continues their RP without me, and those who have issues with me validate themselves with my ban.

If a inability to comply to other's points of view is the issue, than I do not see how isolating me from those points of view is going to help. The entire idea behind this ban being a solution is, misguided. It's been described to me as not a punishment, but as a way to try and help. Without really being the kind of help needed to solve these issues.

I can understand if people misunderstand what I am trying to do, I can understand if people simply have issues with me, and I can understand I have made mistakes. But isolation will not help any of those things. I implore you to reconsider your decision, and perhaps find a better way to keep these issues from happening. As many should know, my previous bans have not solved these issues, I do not think this one will be any different.

solus

Friosis

Lord of Altera
Pronouns
She/Her
Tl;Dr on rules 18. and 19.:

A ban, for anyone, is not going to solve these issues. I think this needs to be dealt with through elegance, finesse, and thoroughness. You can ban a x-rayer for cheating, or a troublemaker to teach him a lesson, but banning one, or both sides of a more subjective, group or community conflict, especially that is not so clear cut on who is wrong or right, is only going to fester more distain between those groups. I understand that you cannot do nothing, as that would only drag the community and the image of the server down as their petty issues continued. But using a ban doesn't work so well either, as it creates a source of controversy that while not seen on the forums, is constantly being shared between the community until it finally blows up.

I hate to say this but I think the perfect world solution would be to try and get the issues resolved in a more mature and traditional fashion. Have people talk them out, try to get both sides to calm down and explain their issues with mutual conflict resolution, rather than attempting to forcibly isolate them from each other and allow their issues to grow or be compounded by what feels like unfair or unjust treatment.

But that's how I see it, if staff vehemently disagree with this, than there is nothing I can do.

Ced

Mountain Bum
Merchant
Retired Staff
MossyMorel
MossyMorel
Merchant
All disputes about metagaming aside, your ban stands on account of the breaking of rules 18 and 19 regularly throughout your time here on HW, despite multiple assurances in ban appeals to the contrary. Your ban is indefinite but after a month you are free to appeal. Should your appeal be accepted you will enter a nine month probation period. While I'm sure it's been inferred to you before, this time I'm saying it; this is your final chance. Should you break the rules again during your probation you will be permabanned with no appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.