Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Engem's Hound-Ru

Bartooliinii

An Alteran Bard
Patron
Retired Staff
Pronouns
He/Him
Slimy_Froggy
Slimy_Froggy
Patron
This book is also available in the Royal Library (only not the day that this post was made):

Engem’s Hound-Ru

This time, my journey takes me southwards. From Port Silver, I dock at Silverwatch. It starts raining and I run to take shelter in the nearest public building. As I look up, I see three people are also in this room. I ask them forgiveness for barging in like this and ask them for transport further westwards, towards Hound-Ru, my destination. The lady is kind and offers me to take me to the dockmaster.
“The Dockmaster told me this was as far as he could take me, I will need to loan a small boat if possible, lady.”
The man next to me answers as well.
“I can get you a small boat, I must have one around here somewhere…”
“No, Reltimus, I will get one, it is alright.”
I nod at them smiling and ask Reltimus if he knows anything about Hound-Ru. He introduces himself as Reltimus Silverian Engem.
“So you are an Engem too! Then you must know Hound-Ru pretty well, what is it like?” I ask him.
“Well… It is… Home-ish…”
I grin and the lady comes back, telling me a boat lays ready in the river. I am offered to come by to have tea some other day and bid them farewell…

The river is much wider than the delta where Tahkul-Rimtar is situated. The trees do not stand so far in the water and the river is deeper as well. The first part is quite straight, but later it meanders in wide curves. At a certain point, the river becomes so narrow and shallow that I have to pull my boat through the small stream. The river becomes wider again and I have lots of space to navigate my small boat, until I have to turn left down a smaller stream. It is the end of the river and it meanders, the trees stand far in the water. It’s hard to move around properly. Twilight falls and with it, so does the rain. I decide to camp in a tree in the forest, to stay safe from wolves and other similar beings. The tree protects me from most of the rain and I wake up reasonably dry. Early in the morning I depart and soon I arrive at the last part of the river: The giant lake underneath the mountain side…

I cross the entire lae and approach a valley, I can feel the wind picking up speed. I tie my boat to the docks of Skiadro and accept the rest of the journey by hoof. I take the path at the roots of the mountains and the edge of the forest. Now that I am at land, I finally realize how wet I have become because of the rain. I stay under the shelter of the trees while walking until the rain stops. As I leave the valley, the wind follows me out. The big trees of this forest protect me from all the rain, but they also take most of the light away. It is like it is nighttime as I walk through the forest, passing hundreds of huge trunks. Their roots mess up the smooth surface, but I must stay underneath as long as the rain continues. I stay at the border of the forest for three reasons. First of all is that I am sure this way I keep on the right track, second the roots aren’t as high as further in the forest, which makes walking easier. And third, ah, the relentless rain! It becomes night…

A whole day of rain and now the thunder rolls far away. It is approaching. I do not sleep this night. The trees are at last filled with water and the water starts dripping through while the thunder rages and lights creepy silhouettes from the branches of the trees… Since I can’t sleep anyway, I decide to push through through the rain and thunder. At last I see the lights of a settlement, I approach it and find it is my destination, Hound-Ru!

I find the entrance after a while and meet with three people. They seem to be in a fierce discussion and I feel an intruder. However, after a few minutes they focus their attention to me, as the woman of the company rides off on a horse. They introduce themselves as Tarron Engem and Professor Dav’id Engem. Finally I meet some of the Engems. I’ve heard so much about them. As I introduce myself and give them the book I brought as a gift, I see the sun rise over the city. The rain has stopped meanwhile and the city lies damping in the morning sun. It’s incredible. A true amazing sight. So unlike all other places, build of stone and castles huge. No, this is a peaceful town. Scattered small houses in a valley and up the mountain. Dav’id allows me to explore the town…
Hound-Ru.png

I head first to a place for the dead and the lost, called the stone circle of Iloncri. It is where the dead seem to be buried. I head into town next, walking down the wooden path to the center of the town. The houses are all made out of logs with smooth stone roofs. The inhabitants of Hound-Ru call these dwellings ‘huts’. They stand in half a circle around a small campfire. Torches light the site during the night. A line of large Salmon are hung from the spit above the fire. In the corner stands a small well of sorts...

This town seems to have more facilities than the average town. Because up the road there stands a small wooden hut. I walk in and walk against a wall of stench. Outside a sign says ‘The Bog’ ad next to it a cauldron with water and a sign: ‘Keep clean’. I am confused what the use of this is and will ponder about it on my way back. I continue my journey passed some fields with crops. I end up at what seems to be training grounds for warriors of this ‘Engem-clan’. The route back takes me passed a small storage. So I walk back through the wooden gate and up the hill, east of the center. There I find Dav’id standing underneath a giant totem with a beacon. I ask him what its use is and he explains me that it’s a ceremonial place for weddings and initiations of Engem clanmembers.

“The initiation exists of three tests. Each one with the purpose to filter you in one of the three warbands: Highland Hunter, Highland Guard or Highland Shadow. After which they are brought up to the totempole or nearest water source. They kneel. The initiator says a vow and the initiatee will repeat when submerged. Tattoos depicting personalized Engem markings, images and such are then added to solidify this. They then represent their promise and addition to the True Engem Tribe.”

This culture is truly sophisticated… Dav’id walks the last bit with me and shows me some cranes and huts up the hill.
“under construction.” He says.
I stay one more day to rest, eat and talk and then I accept my journey homewards. Before I leave, Dav’id runs up to me…

“When you go through our Highlands, watch out for the Highland Boogie Ape.” “The.. Boogie Ape?” “The /Highland/ Boogie Ape! Yes, there are a few of these monsters out there. A few sightings from the Highland Foresters, you see? A massive strong ape, rather dangerous, yet shy.” He warns me.
“What do I do when I run into one?” I ask him,
a bit confused whether he is telling the truth.
“You might be safe, due to it having a fear of Caparii and Highland goat supposedly.” He says.
I believe he is kidding me, but I can’t tell for sure.
“Chalkan lives here as well, doesn’t he?” I ask Dav’id.
“He made me these wristbands.” “Yes, he does live here.” “Send him my regards, if you will?”
Dav’id says he will and I return home, walking the Highlands.

Constantly aware of the dangers that lie in these mountains, searching the tops for Boogie Apes and Vampire Goats… Unique, that’s the word for the Engems and their town Hound-Ru.

Rham Kennys, Caparii Scholar, Scribe and Librarian.